Clubplanet Nightlife Community

[Review] James Holden @ BED - I thought he sucked!

The expectation. Man, those were the good ol' days when I could hit a party on a Friday night, get a few hours of sleep and go out again on Saturday! It was a long time since... actually, it wasn't: I was sleeping off Armin when my friends called and said that I *must* hear Holden. Supposedly he plays the most unusual and exciting music and I'm going to love him: "Max, he's so amazing - you'll never hear anything like what he plays!"

The music. They were totally right - I sure hope I'll never hear anything like this shit again!!! Holden played electro all night. He started off with something completely incomprehensible, at times he blended in some progressive or tribal beats, and the crowd went crazy because people thought that the real music began. Never happened: I gave up at 3 AM and went home. I just don't see how you can enjoy electro; if that's where modern dance music is heading - it's time for me to buy a house in suburban Jersey and make kids (if any females are interested, PM me).

The artist. I thought Holden was on some hard drugs, like heroin, and that he didn't connect with the crowd at all. The stage was set low on the dance floor, and there were people standing around just staring at him work, but Holden seemed to be in his own world - working the deck, at times his eyes rolled in a weird way... Whenever someone from the crowd tried to get his attention, Holden just seemed perplexed and tried his best not to look up.

The venue. Since we resent pretentious clubs, we had our reservations about going to BED, however it was very easy to get in. Us, 4 guys, got there at midnight, wearing jeans and sneakers, there was no line and they let us in right away. I liked the layout: you walk in, there is a bar that's separated from the dance floor by a wall. The dance floor is about the size of the one that used to be @ Centro-Fly, and it wasn't crowded at all. There were mattresses with pillows around the dance floor, most of them were taken. I couldn't really appreciate the sound system, since electro is not the music I could base a judgement off.

The logistics. When you walk in from the elevator, the entryways are blocked by velvet ropes. If you want to get in, the bouncer has to check your stamp. If you want to get out to go to the bathroom that's outside in the hallway - the bouncer still has to check your stamp! Considering that there is one bouncer and many people wanting to get in and out - this creates crowds on both sides of velvet ropes, while the bouncer checks every individual stamp and lets people through one by one in either direction.

The crowd. I wouldn't call the crowd "trendy", I'd call it "trying to be trendy, but mostly just being themselves". There were some weidos, some guidos, some older folks, some modelesque people and some kids who were truly into electro. I'm wondering, how can we convince half the girls that came to BED yesterday to come to Made events @ Spirit? Girls were hot, there were many obviously single ones, the overall ratio of females was at least 40% and it would've been great if it weren't for the music. Ah, well - you can't always win with these events, can you?

I just don't see how you can enjoy electro; if that's where modern dance music is heading - it's time for me to buy a house in suburban Jersey and make kids (if any females are interested, PM me).

I agree 100%. Electro sucks! I don't know why every DJ and their mother is jumping on this bandwagon lately. It's boring and it's difficult to dance to.

i also cant stand the electro stuff much myself. JAMES HOLDEN is still 1for1 in my books, i will go hear him again. Well hoow bout this, YOU MUST COME TO LOVE TONITE FOR JOE CLAUSELL its from 6pm till like1or 2am, YOU HAVE MY GURANTEE for a good time, except i wont be dancing, im tired and hurt and leaving work now.

max, thanks for the review, you always do a good job describing the night

as to holden, i have to agree with you

i've seen him a couple of times, once in LA with lavelle, and once in chicago, and both times i could not figure out what was going on

i listen to a lot of minimal, and love techno, but the stuff he plays is just weird

Can't, Gabe, definitely can't! Two nights in a row was a challenge, even though I was pleasantly surprised that it was *MUCH* less of a challenge than I thought it would be. :grin3: But three nights in a row, especially before going to work tomorrow - that's just plain impossible :(

I guess from the last two postings we can tell that we'll never agree on which style is better, electro, trance, house, whatever else. It's like arguing about which is better, BMW or Lexus - completely pointless in my opinion ( I mean, everyone knows that Lexus is a much better car, right? :cool: )

sure hope MADE brings howells back soon: between crobar & pacha most of the old arc talent has been snatched away: sander hernan, lawler cox, sasha diggers

....it wld be great if made cld book a DT residency but seems like DT is only doing one offs & he's switching arouind from crobar to made/spirit & even to show, cielo, pacha etc etc.

made seems to book pvd, avb, holden, masiello, & howells but generally their roster has been depleted...

curious what made will give us as 2006 rolls out....

electro-ish beats arent that bad. You're talking about like tocadisco type-ish beats right? Or am I thinking of something different.

Sounds like that's what it is. To me Electro sounds like remixes of 80's new wave groups, like Madness, Duran Duran, very early Depeche Mode... basically guy bands with funny sticking out dyed hair. I never thought new wave was dance music, and if Electro evolved from that - it's no wonder it's hard to dance to.

Electro doesn't have much to do with the original "disco" though - one of my absolute favorite housy stuff is when they take something that sounds like late 70's early 80's disco and lay it over the house beat. Electro is not that.

The stage was set low on the dance floor, and there were people standing around just staring at him work, but Holden seemed to be in his own world - working the deck, at times his eyes rolled in a weird way... Whenever someone from the crowd tried to get his attention, Holden just seemed perplexed and tried his best not to look up.

good for him not looking up and trying to bother him. This isn't a f'in concert! The dj is there to make you dance, not to stare at while he is mixing. Probably rolled his eyes in disgust for idiots standing around like that.

The whole "concert" thing of people facing the dj in a club is ridiculous and has got way out of hand - Crobar is the worst - and the thing is, the club itself "encourages" it by putting up a separate stage for djs at the front of the dancefloor.

Make the djs spin in the regular booth and leave the dancefloor for those that want to move.

lol, Holden was on heroin and playing electro with occassional tribal tracks? hahaha

You are in serious need of a clue my man.

I was there from about 12-3:30 and didn't hear a single electro track, you must not know what electro is. He played a lot of tech house and mixed in progressive. And to say the kid was on heroin because he wasn't looking up, wow. He was in the zone, that is all. Not all djs have to wave their hands around like Armin or tiesto to get a crowd into their set.

lol, Holden was on heroin and playing electro with occassional tribal tracks? hahaha

I was there from about 12-3:30 and didn't hear a single electro track, you must not know what electro is. He played a lot of tech house and mixed in progressive. And to say the kid was on heroin because he wasn't looking up, wow. He was in the zone, that is all. Not all djs have to wave their hands around like Armin or tiesto to get a crowd into their set.

well put!

I was there from about 12-3:30 and didn't hear a single electro track, you must not know what electro is. He played a lot of tech house and mixed in progressive.

If that was tech or progressive, Holden completely ruined it by his "experimenting". The whole point of progressive is that it has a driving, clear, distinct beat that's easy to follow, and Holden did his best for the music to be impossible to follow. Now, check out "Volume 12 Tribal Tech House" on this site - that's what tech house should be:

http://www.sicktracks.com/mixes/index.php?q=f&f=%2Fmix+archive%2FDJ+Mentor

And to say the kid was on heroin because he wasn't looking up, wow. He was in the zone, that is all.

No, I didn't say the kid was on heroin because he wasn't looking up. He sure looked like he was in the zone, a heroin zone! He just looked completely weirded out!

Not all djs have to wave their hands around like Armin or tiesto to get a crowd into their set.

I agree. @Spirit Danny T was up in the booth, and all you could see was his Santa hat, but still there was a connection with the crowd. There were no weirdoes standing around him staring at how he worked controls!

xxxxx

xxxxx

tribal tech house?

Holden is known for the tech house / minimal stuff he plays, you should have known that going in. Thats like me going to hear Armin and getting pissed because he didn't play any house music.

Your opinion of what "tribal tech house" or whatever is on that mix is obviously very dofferent from what the people at Holden like, because you are the only person I have seen that didn't think he was awesome. To each his own, I just don't get how you are surprised at what he was playing considering thats exactly the stuff he is known for...he even played three of his monster productions / remixes on Saturday (Safari, A Break in the Clouds, and The Sky Was Pink)

Electro does not suck. Its a great sound. Hit me up if you want, I have some electro bombs, ill send ya. The shit is the new up and coming, and every DJ is playing it. Even Boris and VC play it in there sets a lil.

Do me a favor Get this track Rokysopp - What else is there(Trentemoeller mix)

Electro Bomb, if u dont like that track, I dont know what u like