Clubplanet Nightlife Community

*cheaper* neighborhoods to move to in NYC?

i'm a musician interested in doing a live/electronic music blend, and thinking about moving to NYC. are there any neighborhoods in the NYC area that come to your minds where the housing costs are more moderate, and that would be a good spot for a musician to live? i'm not really talking "ghetto cheap".... just a spot where i could move w/my girlfriend, make a living playing music, and still be able to afford rent...

Guest onisakura

Welcome to the rat race. I suggest you take a look on Craigslist.com and get a feel for the prices.....maybe you might want to get a roommate situation at first to learn the areas. Just remember, everyone and their mother wants to live in manhattan and this city is FULL of musicians. :) Happy hunting.

**This is advice from a 2 month old FL transplant.

I used to live on the Lower East Side and it was really cheap. The really "hip" parts of the Lower East Side are expensive, but if you go a little bit south (more toward Chinatown) it is cheap and still really close to all the bars and stuff. Aside from that Brooklyn is probably your best bet, although a lot of hoods there are getting pricier by the minute. You can also get some really good deals in the financial district (where I live now), and the brokers don't charge fees down there. The only drawback is that there is no nightlife, but anything is a cab or subway ride away.

thanks for the info guys. i'll check out craigslist to get an idea of some rental prices.

from what i've heard from a few people so far, brooklyn seems to be a good bet for where i might move. i'll check into the southern part of the lower east side, though, as well.

You can also get some really good deals in the financial district (where I live now), and the brokers don't charge fees down there. The only drawback is that there is no nightlife, but anything is a cab or subway ride away.

"financial district"? what is that.... the area where the stock exchange, etc, is?

you might want to check out Astoria, Queens which is a couple stops away from Manhattan and if you really want a good price check out Jersey City (Grove Street or Journal Square) thats relatively close to Manhattan (15-20 minute ride into Manhattan on path) check it out. I think you might find Brooklyn to be a little pricey for the better neighborhoods.

Guest onisakura
um, yes....Jersey is a good recommendation. I can't believe how fast it is to get there on the PATH.

That AND you dont have to pay NY State and City taxes if you work in the city.

i would keep out of manhattan... brooklyn, williamsburg, greenpoint, coney island for queens, well you can take all of queens but stay out of east jamica (not such a good area) and forest hills ($$$) woodside is nice because you are close to a lot of trains. any place along metro. blvd is a good deal. i see a lot of people in ozone park, but that may be a commute to the city you don't want... bronx, thats too far up north in my opinion. good luck!

That AND you dont have to pay NY State and City taxes if you work in the city.

I think its just the opposite. You have to pay New Jersey and New York state taxes along with city taxes if you live in Jersey and work in the city.

Guest onisakura
I think its just the opposite. You have to pay New Jersey and New York state taxes along with city taxes if you live in Jersey and work in the city.

From what i understood, NJ is like FL where you only pay Federal taxes. I think you have to pay some NY city taxes but i think its minimal. I'll as one of the girls in my office that lives there.

From what i understood, NJ is like FL where you only pay Federal taxes. I think you have to pay some NY city taxes but i think its minimal. I'll as one of the girls in my office that lives there.

thanks; let me know what you find out...

what's your budget? what size are you looking for?

now is a great time to look. the worst time to look is august through october.

in queens, I would look into astoria, sunnyside, long island city, and woodside (near the 61st street stop on the 7 train)

in brooklyn, try greenpoint, williamsburg (near the graham L stop), south park slope, windsor terrace, bay ridge, dyker heights, ditmas park, and bensonhurst. you might be able to find a good deal in Carroll Gardens as well.

in manhattan, try hell's kitchen (also known as Clinton or Midtown West) and the West 100's (up to 120th or so).

what's your budget? what size are you looking for?

i'm hoping to find a really cheap place in the $750 to $1000 range-- probably just a 1 BR apt for my gfriend and i. a second bedroom would be nice to be used for an office/studio, but this type of price range i'm thinking is in the 1 BR range... or am i wrong? BTW, can you even find an apt in NYC cheaper than $750?

i haven't checked out actual rent costs online yet in NYC, although i have done so for san francisco a while back, which has a pretty comparable cost of living, from what i hear.

i'm wanting to find a place in the $750 to $1000 range-- probably just a 1 BR apt for my gfriend and i. a second bedroom would be nice to be used for an office/studio, but this type of price range i'm thinking might be more in the 1 BR range? or am i wrong? BTW, can you really find an apt in NYC cheaper than $750?

i haven't checked out actual rent costs online yet in NYC, although i have done so for san francisco a while back, which has a pretty comparable cost of living, from what i hear.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You have got to be fucking kidding me! You can't even find an apartment in the MARCY PROJECTS for that price!

You have got to be fucking kidding me! You can't even find an apartment in the MARCY PROJECTS for that price!

seeing as how someone posted on a previous thread that they had a 2 BR apartment in greenpoint for $750/mo, you obviously can...

I live in jersey and work in the city. You pay Federal, NJ State, and NY city taxes up to a certain amt (i forget what the amount is at this point till they stop withholding) but you get most/all of the NY City tax back when you file your income taxes.