Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Don't But Passes For Empire

MysticRain

when [Drai's] did that run up in cover a few years back (on non 3 day weekends, to everyone and their sister irrespective if they are industry or not) to a price that felt unproportionately too high because there was no true competition, not cool. Not cool.

For as much fun I've had at Drai's, throughout 2005 it became increasingly exclusive and expensive. My most common frustration last year -- fittingly, the same claim made about Empire in this thread -- is when a DJ or staffer would put me on the door list, yet upon arrival I would always be told "we don't do lists" or "no list tonight."

Whats unfortunate is the few bad things that have been unfortunate enough to happen but the truth of the matter is when new management took over Jan 1 of this year there was close to 2 million owed to alot of hard working people that thought it was over and they were screwed only to see the turn around cut that down 70% in just over 5 months. We started on the street so the few times we were a a little late with promoters we were straight up and told them the situation and always made good! What u dont hear about are the times pass returns suck or we get no returns at all and still take care of them even though its based on pay per pass only. This is not about Empire this is about my reputation which ive built impeccably during my 17 years doing it in Vegas and i refuse to sit back while someone questions my character...u dont like the club, the music, the employees thats a persons preference but when someone gets involved who shouldnt be and attacks my character publicly there will be consequences...

Nobody attacked *your* character. When did someone even mention a person's name in any part of a negative comment. You didn't even sign your own post with a name. The only *personal* attack is your own about "consequences" etc. Get over yourself, this isn't the mafia, it's an open discussion. This isn't about you. There were a few comments in this thread about pre-paid tickets not being honored, and promoters getting shafted to one degree or another. This is a public forum and I'm sorry if it bursts your ego if someone shared some negative opinions about your spot. My involvement is non-existent except that I am a participant in a public discussion. Get over it. People say shit about the spot I work at too and I defend it when necessary, but I don't go around threatening consequences just because someone didn't blow me here. Again, do your thing and don't take the discussion here so personal, just address them if you feel necessary and enjoy yourself.

** edit --> Sent you a PM, Vegasalist.

For as much fun I've had at Drai's, throughout 2005 it became increasingly exclusive and expensive. My most common frustration last year -- fittingly, the same claim made about Empire in this thread -- is when a DJ or staffer would put me on the door list, yet upon arrival I would always be told "we don't do lists" or "no list tonight."

Agreed about Drais, 1000%. When you get so big that you up your cover and dont discount, line pass, or anything even family members of staffers (as their policy was not shy to say), its not cool.

Maybe not cool but also within their right to try to maximize their door when demand surpassed supply. I think the spot may be hurting a bit now, but probably not so much due to their door policy, but more that a newer bigger spot opened against them. If the new spot closed tomorrow, I'm pretty sure Drais would be just as busy as before if not more.

Heres my opinion about drais and empire. Drais has been doing it right for a while. Empire is trying to do what they can to get going. I have heard from another promoter that empire is waiting till 10am or later to pay people for their work. Regardless of when they are paying they are paying. but after the club closes once promoters have been working for 12 plus hours, is pretty messed up. After my 2 weekends at empire and what their mgmt has prmoised and not given, i will absolutly not refer any clients their ever again.Not saying i wont take them, cause money talks, but when people ask, its not a place that i will take repeat clients.

Yes i can agree why people would drais to go to empire, its always people going to the new kid on the block, people want change in vegas. Drais has a file cabinet full of people wanting to work their. The way alot of the clubs are getting now, they are not closing till 6am anyways

I have heard from another promoter that empire is waiting till 10am or later to pay people for their work. Regardless of when they are paying they are paying. but after the club closes once promoters have been working for 12 plus hours, is pretty messed up.

If a promoter is getting paid same day, how is that messed up? Weeks late = messed up. Same day = better than almost every other club.

Man, I think I need to change jobs. I've been working for myself for 8 years and I don't think I've ever had a client pay me less than 3 weeks after I've billed them... 9 out of 10 times, it's 6-7 weeks.

Times like these I miss being a bartender and walking home with a fist full of cash. :)

I had to post because those of you that know me knows that I love the after hours scene! I have been in it now for over 7 years!! I loved Drais! I have great memories there and often think back of the endless nights that was spent there! I have also gone to Empire on countless times!! Empire is a HOT spot! A nice change and also a great venue. But Empire does not give the same vibe, energy or sleekness that was at Drais. Its just not the same. When I walked into Drais they remembered me... they were glad to see I was there once again! At Empire its just not that way. I can go there every weekend and to them I am just another face... another body in their venue.

I can go there every weekend and to them I am just another face... another body in their venue.

I want my nightclubs to treat me the same way as my restaurants. Remember my face when I patronize your establishment on a regular basis.

If a promoter is getting paid same day, how is that messed up? Weeks late = messed up. Same day = better than almost every other club.

I got my start in the club scene as a promoter a good number of years ago so I can really relate to this situation. As far as I'm concerned, if they get paid at all, they're lucky. I got shafted my fair share of times at more than one nightclub. Clubs are probably a bit more honest than they used to be about paying promoters what they are owed, but a venue paying promoters on a per-card return basis is still working on the honor system. In most cases, a promoter has no way of knowing how many of their cards came back to the club except when the club says "you got 20 returns." How does the promoter know that It wasn't 100? I heard inside stories about club managers telling the payroll people in charge of paying street teams to pay them for only half of their card returns. It could have been a false story, but experience would tell me that it was true.

I agree with Empire Ballroom and other Nightclubs dealing with huge crowds!!!

Big weekends can be out of control, but people who buy these tickets off line should have the attitude BUYER BE WARE. Private hosting companies that take the time to talk to their clients, only sell "VIP" pass that are actualy worth something, and letting them know exactly where to go apon arriving at the club. The issues on MDW can be avoided on Labor Day and July 4th if the companies who are selling Guest List spots, VIP Line Passes, table reservations, etc. take responsibility to connect personally with their clients and let them know it is going to be crazy and what are the best options if they still want to go to that particular club. I.e. Hosted entry or table reservation.

We are all in the same industry here and instead of debating infront of potential clients on these blogs/discussion board we should show a little more professionalism and it will work out for everyone in the long run!

We are all in the same industry here and instead of debating in front of potential clients on these blogs/discussion board we should show a little more professionalism and it will work out for everyone in the long run!

With all due respect, if I were a potential client that needed VIP service and I read a post that was debating whether or not the practices of a venue are fair, just, or ethical, I would be quite intrigued. Most of us contributing to this message board do, in fact, give helpful advice to clubgoers whether it be an itinerary for their weekend, advice as to where to reserve a table, etc.

Clubplanet is what it is... a message board where people are free to give opinions. There is a certain limitation on what people should say, especially people who work in the industry, to maintain a certain professionalism, but what was said in this thread was not unprofessional. They were merely statements of strong opinions. From experience, I know that old clients, new clients, and potential clients would much rather know the harsh truth as opposed to being lead astray with rhetoric. Among all things, honesty is the most professional characteristic a client can expect and certainly appreciate.

Mr. VIP, in my eyes, your post was the post of the year. I'm so tired of some people feeling the only way to do business in Vegas is to tippy toe, sugar coat, and brown nose. This is a discussion board and with that comes opinions, feedback and real talk. There's very little on this board that would hurt a potential customer's wishes to partake in our scene. If anything, it shows that we are passionate about what we do, and we are willing to address issues, etc.

The nightlife industry is covered with lead promoters that dont pay co leads and subpromoters. But yet it is also covered with people who do make payouts, timely, as promised, accurately.

Ironically, even in large markets, today it's a horrible mistake to cheat teams, for two big reasons.

1) In many markets, teams are merging more than ever before. The result is simple - everyone knows each other moreso now then ever before. If someone has a history of not paying, more teams find out faster now then ever before. You use to see nightly events that could be handled by one or two teams because their database is big enough, like an ******. Now you see single events handled by a slur of teams all together. Everyone finds out everyone else's track record on paying or not paying within 7 days.

2) In many markets, the life span of a team is generally 2-3 years. If you cheat the marketplace's teams, go luck finding new teams to cheat in the next 36 months. You basically run out of people to cheat.

Finally, while most people dont realize this, one of the most important things to remember is that clubgoers, non industry people, will not patronize an event or venue if they know of someone or better yet even witnessed someone cheating first hand.

Even a year or more later, people that cheat us or our friends still contact us for referrals, adding us on myspace, acting like our friends, sending cutesy emails. Yet, the number of people they will get from us and our friends will for lifetime remain the same - zero. End of story.

We all have clubs we like to work with and others we will do all we can to keep from taking people there, even though you clients there and have a great time. We all have enough competition in vegas with corporations who promise this and that and people who overcharge people out the ying yang. It has given real vip hosts in vegas a bad rap, but alot of hosts still stay busy from the other 1000 people waiting in line because people dont want to waste time waiting in lines, they want to feel like a vip. Almost every host out there can raise hands to this. How many times have you had to us your head to talk a cheap group into using your services and you walk them in, and they as you how do you do it, or people asking who the hell are they, i dont care what anyone says but it makes you feel pretty damn good.

I was driving limos full time and hosting when i could, meanwhile i had hotels, limo, taxicab and other individuals calling me for limos/nightclub info. I do hosting for then fun of it, i love going to clubs, i have been in vegas for 12 years now and have always either worked in a club or done hosting, back when there was only 3 clubs in town worth going to. Back then you call and put peoples names on the list and charge them 20 a head and make money. Now you have 20 or more clubs and to work with them all is a pain. I work with 4 other hosts/hosting companies and i send clients to them as well them to me, high roller clients i drive. Any host in vegas can get a job done, you want 10 guys to tryst on sat night we all can do it. Where the question lies how long do you wait till a doorman or host you know will service your group, how much will people pay to use a service.

• 2 weeks later...
Empire Ballroom not honoring passes. I couldn't tell you how many customers I had tonight that were pissed because they had bought passes specifically for this weekend that cost them up to $50 and they were not able to use them. They are also having trouble keeping their customers satisfied and their employees are not happy as well since they seem to be having money trouble. Hmmmm....is Empire gonna have to throw in the towel soon. Guess we'll see. Anybody having problems with them?

no, no problems... had a great time there and will def be going back in the future.. trying to spead rumors about other clubs is pretty lame btw.. icon13.gif