Clubplanet Nightlife Community

**UPDATED 3** Recent examples of a collapsing club scene:

V. Barbarino

Guest dancefloored

now that is the kind of gossip I like to hear about :)

alot more interesting than the yap about dj bookings!

nice link pod

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Why do people take DJ bookings so personally?

Ohmygod, XYZ booked Tiësto, fucking people over there, I tell ya! I'm such the music god, that they should hire me as their music director. I'd book Jay Jordan, Ken Ripley, Ozomati Dummkopf, DJ Wawaweewa, and even that guy who played DJ's boyfriend in Full House. That'll show them!

LMAO underground babyyyyyyy YEAH THE UNDERGROUND!!!!

Guest pod

LMAO underground babyyyyyyy YEAH THE UNDERGROUND!!!!

Oddly enough, that song was probably one of the most popular dance tracks of it's day.

Guest pod

I think we have that in common, Mr. 2007. We both like to read the real nitty-gritty of the club scene.

Club reviews and event postings just don't generate the interest that the real drama does. If you notice, this thread is in the top ten of thread views now.

Guest brasiliandrunk

And even worse, when a dance artist or DJ does something like go on Y100 or on the satellites, he or she automatically branded a sell-out. Richie Hawtin could get a prime-time dance music TV show on NBC and I can bet some of his fans would label him as a sell out.

And then on the same tack, "supporters" of dance music don't go out to see DJs because "they're too commercial" or "Oh I heard him in Ibiza and he gets way more daring there...". They'd rather stay at home, cruise the P2P networks or The Pirate Bay, and listen to sets coming out of their $20 Wal-Mart computer speakers. "I support" they say, then 20 minutes later they're IMing their friend, whom OG gave some tracks in good faith to play out, for the latest tracks from Europe.

And Natalie, most people don't give a flying fuck if Loco Dice was there or not. To your average, paying clubgoer here in Miami, Loco Dice is Oscar G is Cedric Gervais is Edgar V. People going out in this town don't care, and most importantly, don't want to care too much about which DJ is on the decks.

I was having a discussion with Dade about this once, he bought down a plethora of DJs, some of whom now command mid-five-figure salaries, and some whom have dropped off the radar entirely. Now was everyone a trainspotter back then? Not bloody likely, to quote the English. What it was was that through the residents, the quality of the venue, and the promotions staff, he had built a trust with his crowd. They wouldn't swarm for the names, it was more of a "Well, it could be anyone on the decks, but we know Shadow Lounge is going to provide an entertaining evening for us..."

That's always been the key in this city, is to provide a certain night for a crowd, and build a trust. And most importantly, don't abuse that trust. Space "works" because people know they can hear quality, accessible dance music, in a great venue with an overall decent crowd. They know they'll go out and have a good time regardless of whether Deep Dish, OG, PvD, or Cedric is playing. They know what to expect, in other words. Throw in the "strange" sounds of Loco Dice, and yeah, they're gonna be pissed. Loco as an example. I don't follow him so I don't know what he plays really.

Your average clubgoer pays good money to go out. Now I know you are all immortals and that concept is kinda hard to grasp, but it does happen. Not everyone's as important as you and is a scenester. But anyway, for that money, they want to know ahead of time that they are going to have a good night out. They want no unpleasant surprises. Surprises are nice, but they need to go in the right direction.

agreed who gives a fuck about the dj most of them spend a lot of time on there computers :) .. Give me good drink prices a fun crowd and a DJ who plays good stuff to get the crowd moving... You can push the evnvelope , but just put in vocal house :) its the best and will always think its the best for any club , girls singing along and dnacing getting drunk! I never went to a place just for the DJ , well except for falcon and Morillo , for some reason everyone likes bashing on morillo although i do think $100 is extremely expensive to see one person and then have to pay $300-$500 on the night is retarded i hope all the mansion/prive opium group gets shot down i think they destroyed this city... but wawawewa...

Everyone go rent or fuck that ... buy the DVD Gangster No. 1

IT FUCKING ROCKS.....

Guest pod

I think the radiation from your multiple massive monitors are eating away at your brain. ;D

If someone wants to follow a DJ, that's fine. What I'm railing against here is the fact that they think it's the sole reason for hitting up a venue, especially around these parts. And to reiterate, what ever happened to going out and having fun? I remember seeing a lot of you guys going out a lot, regardless of the DJ. I can understand burnout, but not disgruntlement.

Guest pod

No idea. But I want CJ Forums to become the real Dirt.

Fuck DJ set reviews, fuck DJ Artificial Anus playing at Blue. Nobody cares.

Dirt. Please!

• 2 weeks later...

2 More to add to the list:

Crobar NYC is no longer, will be called Studio...

And stolen from the wmc cj forum, Defected canceled their wmc events.

post from their site

http://forum.defected.com/viewtopic.php?t=19827

The point is lost.

Reasons why we ain't going to do a party:

1. There way are too many parties.

2. There are fewer and fewer punters that actually know their shit.

3. It takes 3 hours to get through immigration.

4 It takes 3 hours for a cab to go 4 blocks up Collins Ave. The traffic is appalling

5. The sound systems are appalling and the attitude of the clubs is even worse.

6. The City of Miami does not actually want the event to happen. closing down parties for NOISE, parking your car outside a club, over crowding, people having a good time, some bloke picking their nose in public.

I am sure that it is going to happen, well something will be going on.... but as to if it is has been actually a 'happening' event over the last few yeras is something that has been discussed for a while now.

It used to be about networking, promoting your shit around the Fontainbleau. The moment they moved away from the poolside focal point the event gradually lost more and more focus.

It takes ages to plan an event like this and costs are considerable. If it was your time and money.....would you bother????

They are "defecting" the truth, the truth is, they can't make money anymore doing these parties, I mean their arguments are bad cabbies?? Come on already, we are not this stupid. Their business is failing right before their eyes, they are going bankrupt and are complaining about cabbies. Dumb fucking euro trash..

Guest pod

I'll agree with you there. They have little to no cash and they don't wanna admit it. So they come up with a bunch of spurious reasons on why they can't.

I'll do a point-by point response.

1. There way are too many parties.

So? It's a free country?

2. There are fewer and fewer punters that actually know their shit.

Geez. Not everyone can be a producer or a DJ. Some people wanna, gasp, have fun?

3. It takes 3 hours to get through immigration.

I'm sure it's much faster in your neck of the woods

4 It takes 3 hours for a cab to go 4 blocks up Collins Ave. The traffic is appalling.

That's every big city the world over. Go to Tokyo, and Miami Beach is a piece of cake in comparison...

5. The sound systems are appalling and the attitude of the clubs is even worse.

Funktion-One, Dynacord, etc? Same shit you guys use, same installer in some cases

6. The City of Miami does not actually want the event to happen. closing down parties for NOISE, parking your car outside a club, over crowding, people having a good time, some bloke picking their nose in public.

Get your cities right, it's the City of Miami Beach. City of Miami could care less what you do.

Guest LeVeL

Fuck"em

We can do without them.

As far as them complaining about a Cab taking too long to go through Collins, I would recommend they walk just as James Holden and Petter did during last years confeence. Which makes it a faster commute to get where yu want to get during those times.

Guest musicalmissionary

I know the trainspotters will kill me, but Defected seems to be a bunch of sniveling brats with that last statement.

Yet another improper use of the term "trainspotter"... Defected is a pretty commercial label. I don't think there are any real "trainspotters" who will lose any sleep over this.

Guest pod

Like I said, I co-opted it. ;D Give me another word then.

And I'll second what Level says. Ever hear of walking? Only reason I cabbed it everywhere last year is because I couldn't walk too far without having to rest. Normally during conference, I have zero issues walking from say, 23rd, down to 1st. It's fun in a way, you see stuff that you might miss in a cab.

I know the trainspotters will kill me, but Defected seems to be a bunch of sniveling brats with that last statement.

Yet another improper use of the term "trainspotter"... Defected is a pretty commercial label. I don't think there are any real "trainspotters" who will lose any sleep over this.

Yet another dumb post of yours. What is the difference between a "real trainspotter" and a "defected trainspotter?"

Guest musicalmissionary

Yet another dumb post of yours. What is the difference between a "real trainspotter" and a "defected trainspotter?"

Ask Dan... he seems to be the expert on what a "trainspotter" is. Traditionally, the term refers to people who try to ID every track they hear and prefer to hear the latest most underground tracks to test their skills. According to this definition... they could care less if Defected has a party or if Dan insults their label execs.

But Dan likes to use the term just so he can take shots at them since I guess it makes him feel better.

Guest pod

Oh please, get off your high horse. I could care less what they think. It doesn't make me feel better. Drinking does. You know that. Only reason I single them out is because, at least in Miami, they have this severe lack of understanding how things work around here.