Clubplanet Nightlife Community

club scene

My opinion on the club scene now... hmm, i think that overall its not to great. To many clubs that are like clones of one another. There are some really good places out there though that aren't going commercial and not just playing the same thing as the next club

- vinyl- i've only been there on friday, which is amazing w/ DT, but as far as i know the rest of the days are amazing as well w/ real ny house, i really need to check out body and soul one of these days but sundays are kinda hectic for me

-Twilo- fridays are good cuz they bring in great talent from all over the world, deep dish, dave seaman, sasha and digweeed, pvd-

For the most part i have really cut down on going to all the hard house clubs cuz i got sick of hearing the same stuff every week in every club. Now i only go to the those clubs once in a while when i feelin really all energized w/ the adrenaline pumpin and wanna hear it and enjoy it much more b/c i haven' hear it in a while. I think as long as you listen to different music and not the same thing week in and week out then the scene is fine. And there are places out there for every differnt kind of music, so i think if people open their minds up to different tastes then less people will complain about the scene.

just my $.02

-Rob

[This message has been edited by PFloyd40 (edited 06-18-2000).]

My opinion on the club scene now... hmm, i think that overall its not to great. To many clubs that are like clones of one another. There are some really good places out there though that aren't going commercial and not just playing the same thing as the next club

- vinyl- i've only been there on friday, which is amazing w/ DT, but as far as i know the rest of the days are amazing as well w/ real ny house, i really need to check out body and soul one of these days but sundays are kinda hectic for me

-Twilo- fridays are good cuz they bring in great talent from all over the world, deep dish, dave seaman, sasha and digweeed, pvd-

For the most part i have really cut down on going to all the hard house clubs cuz i got sick of hearing the same stuff every week in every club. Now i only go to the those clubs once in a while when i feelin really all energized w/ the adrenaline pumpin and wanna hear it and enjoy it much more b/c i haven' hear it in a while. I think as long as you listen to different music and not the same thing week in and week out then the scene is fine. And there are places out there for every differnt kind of music, so i think if people open their minds up to different tastes then less people will complain about the scene.

just my $.02

-Rob

My take on the scene is that everybody is bitintg off everyone else. that's why I haven't made an effort to go out as much. the only thing that separates most ofthe clubs right now( with exeception to some few s the name of it. Other than that they all play the same shit and bring in the same people.

The scene is what you make of it--it's mostly your attitude.

What if I told you that there is a city in the world that has:

superstar djs.

super clubs with open rooftops and waterfalls

world famous clubs

the most diverse music in the world

world famous parties, etc,,etc,

Well, that's all true about the NYC scene. With that lineup, I can't complain.

The scene here it tolerable. Nothing cutting edge about it though. Something BIG is about to happen. I have this weird feeling...

You wanna know where the mecca of dance music and clubland? England and Ibiza. That's where its at people...

Guest crystalmethodny

Personally,

I still think the scene is there if you look for it.

I basically just hang at Vinyl, Twilo, the occassional Centro Fly... some Cheetah for the variance when I feel funky.

-CM

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Originally posted by crystalmethodny:

Personally,

I still think the scene is there if you look for it.

I basically just hang at Vinyl, Twilo, the occassional Centro Fly... some Cheetah for the variance when I feel funky.

-CM

you are funky, Steve ....FUNKY LOOKING, BIZATCH!!!

Guest crystalmethodny

That depends on how you look at it.

Bottom line is when I go to Vinyl, it still feels like years ago.

DT turns it on, he makes people move, and the vibe is there.

Of course, if you want commercial, trendy, or whatever... then get your ass to Exit

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

Just real quick, I wanted to comment on something I read in last month's DJ mag. They had a big long article on PvD and he said he actually likes playing in NY better than London (w/ his home town of course #1) because he said since Americans are just starting to clue in, they - excuse me - we are a lot more open to different types of music. So whereas in London, he'll have to keep the music tight within say the hard house/trance stuff, here (as anyone whose gone knows) he runs the gammit, from tech-house to breakbeat.

One last thing, there was also an article (same mag/issue, actually) that said for NYC to look out cuz the Euro's are prepared for an invasion. I thought that was pretty sweet.

Also, as far as the scene being commercialized, I don't know about everyone else, but there are VERY few people I know that are really clued in. Even the clubbing friends I have in NY had no idea who Sven Vath is. Maybe I just need new friends. Any takers?

freedomtat-

are you from europe? i think having had any european clubbing experience (or even just reading mixmag and DJ once in a while) helps people put our scene into the larger global perspective. or at least it did for me.

i'm psyched today. went to the newsstand and found a copy of mixmag(UK) with the free CD! used to have to get friends to bring them home from europe for me, so it's great to be able to find locally.

-terra

I have to agree w/ CM, if it wasn't for places like Vinyl or Twilo, this city would suck the big one. Thank god that you can hear the best DJ alive play week in & week out, along with int'l talent from all over.

So, it's not so bad afterall

i got UK mixmag at an international newsstand on lower Broad Street in Manhattan, 2 blocks south of the stock exchange. They always have URB, XLR8R and Mixer, and often Musik out of the UK, but this was the first time I saw Mixmag. The guy there said they always get it, as well as DJ (also UK), but it goes quickly. I'll have to tell him to stock more.

I once contacted Mixmag distribution folks via their website and they gave me a few other outlets where you can pick it up in Manhattan. I think the Tower Records at Times Square was one of them. I just never get that far uptown.

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Nolimit. I know that I am hugely biased by virtue of the fact that I am English but there are very distinct differences between the scene here and the scene back home.

Don't get me wrong, I love this place but there truly is nothing like the clubs back home.

I know it's a pretty lame topic, but I can't resist shedding some light real quick. You can get any of teh UK magazines, more or less at any mag store in New York, from Hudson News to Barnes and Nobles. You just gotta look real hard cuz they're usually behind something else and they only buy like 10 copies, so you jsut gotta constantly check. One cool thing is that pretty much EVERY issue of EVERY British DJ mag has a pretty good free CD attached to it. I've got a whole collection.

And johnB, as far as innovative NY DJ/Producers go, what about the original B-Boy himself, Armand. His shit, esp. the new one, is different than any other shit I buy or can find.

My favorite place to go clubbing at this present time is Club USA. I love the slide!!! It is so awesome when you're all fucked up on those Nyquil hits. Those hit you hard. I buy them all the time from the guys on the streets! Who said those guys are cops! They are the best!

Where can you get the UK Mixmag in New York?

My take on the NY clubscene is that it is the best in the world outside of the UK and Ibiza. However, there used to be a lot of innovation and new music coming out of New York a few years back. Other than Mr. Danny Tenaglia, I don't see anyone around who I would consider very innovative. Everyone's either stuck in the old New York house thing still making and playing records that sound the same, (which is a good sound, just kind of old) or now copying the trendsetters in the UK. I wish this would change somehow.

But I've lived in Budapest for the last three years, and although there are a few good parties (monthly Global Underground nights, last Friday with Anthony Pappa was off the hook!) the local DJs are pathetically commercial and lacking talent, and most of the parties aren't worth going to. At least you have DT, S&D, JP, Deep Dish, Seaman, Cox, etc. every weekend.

And the Brits are planning to build up stuff in the States now that they see dance music is finally catching on in a big way. Home is supposed to open something in New York this year. I think that is what the scene needs as now there seems to be a competition among clubowners to build the biggest club with the cheesiest special effects rather than building a good place that real clubbers would want to hang out in every week.

But I'm glad to be moving to New York with its clubscene and I've been in Hungary and Germany for over 4 years, so that must mean something.

JohnB