Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what books are u reading right now

Originally posted by perfecto25:

ill take a good book over the tellie any time, just actually came back from barnes n noble coupla hours ago and picked this up "The Mystery of the Aleph: mathematics, the Kabalah, and the search for Infinity" by Amir D.Aczel , i read like 20 pages already and this book is unreal, if any of u heard the song "Fabionacci Sequence" by BT , the song will actually make sense if u read some of the shit here, if u notice the song builds up and follows a sequence almost fabionacci like, i never noticed this before 1+1=2,1+2=3,2+3=5,5+3=8...., ....

Nice I guess ,8+5=13 is next uh...No seriously I'll take a look at The Mystery of the Aleph: mathematics, the Kabalah, and the search for Infinity" by Amir D.Aczel ...

and by the way did u see the movie "Pi" I u could order it at Blockbuster..it's interesting..i believe we live in patterns..

"Strange how we live our lives in generality when we live in a world of details" -Art C

I also see patterns in Chess, dancing, music, math shit pretty much everything even this thread...heheeheh

[This message has been edited by gambitx73 (edited 01-17-2001).]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by laurensomers:

If like the show Sex and the City, then you'll like the book "Four Blondes" by Candance Bushnell (the show is based on a novel by her). Its really light reading but its good!

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out the name of that book for a week now. I couldn't remember!

I just finished Brave New World. Sick book...really makes you think. Just started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I'm going to read On the Road next. Funny how a lot of us have similar reading tastes.

------------------

"This is the strangest life I've ever known" - Jim Morrison

Originally posted by Calyandra:

Right now Im reading my Harry Potter 2nd year book again. I really wish I could find the first one...I lost it. frown.gif

Oh well.

Harry Potter...ME TOO!!!! I'm reading the second one now!!! Love it...catapults me right back into "dream-land"....luv it

------------------

an1701.gif

"The Daughter of Time" by Josephine Tey. Interesting book. It deals with a sick woman in a hospital who notices a picture of King Richard III and is bewildered by his appearance. She grows curious regarding how such a gentle, noble looking king could have commited such heinous acts to claim the throne. The book then goes into the past of the king and brings up some interesting questions. Excellent mystery novel.

A superb book to read as a supplement to Shakespeare's "Richard III."

[This message has been edited by rudeboyyouth (edited 01-17-2001).]

the autobiography of boy george. would you believe it's 500 pages long? whew! and he's only about 40! so far it's really good and i feel like i know him personally by the way he writes. very touching, very honest. i'm looking forward to getting to the part of his life where he gets into budhism.

Originally posted by exodust:

To all of you that are going to read BRAVE NEW WORLD, just finished it, great book!!

Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield - awsome uplifting open minded reading. I'm reading Tom Wolfe, Man in Full, right now, it's looking good. Tom Wolfe is the man, if anyone here is into the Grateful Dead and all that stuff, read his book Electric Koolaid Acid Test, it's all about Ken Kesey and all the Beat Generation people and hippi's and all the drugging that went on,it's like reading an acid trip! Oh and while we are on the Beat Generation, Jack Kerouac, On the Road (everyone should read this) or Dr. Saxx all of Kerouacs books are awesome, if your into music and history. Ok I'm done rambling, I agree GREAT THREAD, we need more like this one.

I read "Brave New World" too.. pretty cool. In HS, my big term paper was on the Beat poets, with a concentration on Ginsberg and Kerouac. Just read "Junky" and "Queer" by William S. Burroughs -- both really good (very real). Also just finished up "The 3 Musketeers" and "Les Diasons Dangeruses" by Choderlos de Laclos... I'm now onto "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair (yes, I too regress to the books I avoided in HS). Don't know what I'll read after this...

- meli -

------------------

buttercup_02.icobubbles_06b.icobuttercup_07.icobubbles_03.icobuttercup_01.ico

"MeliChaCha -- Saving the world before bedtime... wait... I'm supposed to SLEEP?!"

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: Life moves pretty fast -- if you don't stop and look around every once in a while, you might miss it." - The incomparable Ferris Bueller

"I've been consumed by the quicksand of randomness..." -- Me

2001: THE YEAR OF THE CHACHA!!!

... and to all my people, "Peace -- and Humpty-ness forever!"

AIM: MeliChaCha

E-MAIL: MeliChaCha@powerpuff.com <--- new addy!

OR MeliChaCha@aol.com

ooanna - TUCK EVERLASTING omg - I posted a whole thing about this about 2 months ago begging everyone to read it, it is the most AMAZING book ever -- how much do you cry at the end smile.gif Sometimes the simplest, shortest books make the most impact. I could read it again and again, they should totally make a movie !

smile.gif

------------------

xoxo "Drugs may be the wrong path...but at least its a scenic route!" xoxo

MissDiva19@aol.com

What a great post. I am always looking for people to offer feedback on books they like.

Presently I decide to revert and read something most people read when they are 12 years old- Watership Down. It's really light and cute. I also have The Art of Happiness on my nightstand. I try to read a couple pages every day to keep me sane. I highly recommend you get it.

SK13

------------------

Footsteps on the dancefloor remind me baby of you

Originally posted by kitty19:

i'm starting divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood by rebecca wells.. i have no clue what this is about. smile.gif

I read that..I thought it was good, but a lot of people I knlow that read it hated it-tell me what you think-

Me, being the girly girl that I am, am reading a collection of short stories called "Who Do You Love" by Jean Bushnell. Its about how love changes the lives of ordinary people. Some stories have been really good, while others are kind of slow. After I finish that, I will begin "4 Blondes" which I borrowed from Lauren-Thanks Shon-Bon!

to gambit, about the sequence and repetition theory, you r rite, everything natural has a hidden sequence, thats why i love trance n shit, cause its very logical, it flows mathematically, as when i listen to it(not like cheesy trance tho:sandstorm,ATB, not shit like that, good shit like Xpander, digs and oakey, warren and an Israeli group called Astral Projection, good shit), my brain kinda flows along to the rythm! whohooo! in fact that book "mystery of the aleph" suggests that god is an infinite plane, like a circle, and we(humans) are like a square in that circle. as we become more advanced and knowledgable about nature and physics, we add sides to that square, thus making it a pentagon, hexagon and so on..., but no matter how many sides we add(progress in our knowledge), we can never be a real circle, because as everyone knows, u cant make a complete circle with lines, only with arcs, so god is unreachable, as it is infinite. pretty deep shit huh, think about this next time u r rollin maybe ull come up with a groundbreakin theory! smile.gif ciao -mike "may we all be blessed with sex and chocolate!"

------------------

- elegance is never out of style -

to gambit, about the sequence and repetition theory, you r rite, everything natural has a hidden sequence, thats why i love trance n shit, cause its very logical, it flows mathematically, as when i listen to it(not like cheesy trance tho:sandstorm,ATB, not shit like that, good shit like Xpander, digs and oakey, warren and an Israeli group called Astral Projection, good shit), my brain kinda flows along to the rythm! whohooo! in fact that book "mystery of the aleph" suggests that god is an infinite plane, like a circle, and we(humans) are like a square in that circle. as we become more advanced and knowledgable about nature and physics, we add sides to that square, thus making it a pentagon, hexagon and so on..., but no matter how many sides we add(progress in our knowledge), we can never be a real circle, because as everyone knows, u cant make a complete circle with lines, only with arcs, so god is unreachable, as it is infinite. pretty deep shit huh, think about this next time u r rollin maybe ull come up with a groundbreakin theory! smile.gif ciao -mike "may we all be blessed with sex and chocolate!"

------------------

- elegance is never out of style -

A book I just finished is Hopeful Monsters by Nicholas Mosely. It's an absolutely wonderful historical fiction book that takes place between WWI and WWI. Not only is it a wonderful story about two lovers in different parts of the world, but it's full of interesting concepts from philosophy, psychology, and science. You'll learn more from this book than most of the classes you took in college. Enjoy! It's deffinitly worth the time. cwm12.gif

Just finished reading Hitler's Niece. Good book.

Now I'm on my second book of Sleeping Beauty's Trilogy, by Anne Rice, Beuty's Punishment.

------------------

People come into your life for reasons not yet known, keep your mind, heart and soul open.

AIM: Xxlea77

Youth in Revolt by C.D. Payne is an extremely funny book that will appeal to most people on this board. It's written in the style of a journal of a 14-year-old who is going through all of the changes that come with that age--except it's a lot more bizarre and fucked-up than I remember my childhood to be.

Atlas Shrugged is also a pretty good book. Not the best in terms of narrative--it's really Ayn Rand's philosophy forced into fictional book form. It can be a little bit heavy-handed, but it's definitely an interesting (very long!) read that nicely illustrates her school of philosophy. If you are an Economics major, this book is required reading, though it will appeal to nearly everyone.

For a good graphic novel, there's still no beating Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Peace,

David Christopjer

------------------

Get into Cheetah for only $5! Visit www.headrushmusic.com for more details.

Original beats: Visit www.mp3.com/headrushmusic to hear my tracks.

Pooter's Trance Shack and Moonshine Distillery: The fattest radio station on the web is at www.mp3.com/stations/pooter and we're open to your submissions!

Originally posted by cgm:

I read that..I thought it was good, but a lot of people I knlow that read it hated it-tell me what you think-

Me, being the girly girl that I am, am reading a collection of short stories called "Who Do You Love" by Jean Bushnell. Its about how love changes the lives of ordinary people. Some stories have been really good, while others are kind of slow. After I finish that, I will begin "4 Blondes" which I borrowed from Lauren-Thanks Shon-Bon!

Another good chick book (brace yourself -- it's a kid's book)... "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" by Judy Blume.. one of my FAVORITES of all time... *sigh.. I must have read it 800 times...

- Meli -

------------------

buttercup_02.icobubbles_06b.icobuttercup_07.icobubbles_03.icobuttercup_01.ico

"MeliChaCha -- Saving the world before bedtime... wait... I'm supposed to SLEEP?!"

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: Life moves pretty fast -- if you don't stop and look around every once in a while, you might miss it." - The incomparable Ferris Bueller

"I've been consumed by the quicksand of randomness..." -- Me

2001: THE YEAR OF THE CHACHA!!!

... and to all my people, "Peace -- and Humpty-ness forever!"

AIM: MeliChaCha

E-MAIL: MeliChaCha@powerpuff.com <--- new addy!

OR MeliChaCha@aol.com

Originally posted by gambitx73:

just wanted to know what books are being read..and if anyone has ever read the book "Chaos" by James gleick.

Also Edgar Cayce stuff..

Great book. Check out "Quarks and Jaguars" too. I'm inbetween books. I just finished the "Art of Happiness" by his holiness the Dali Lama and Think by Richard Blackburn (great intro to philosophy).

Starting to read a book the Celestine Prophecy (sp?) that a good friend gave me.

//sariman

------------------

P eace

L ove

U nity

R espect

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today!" -- James Dean

'me talk pretty one day' by david sedaris - it's about his childhood, growing up in the south, with a lisp, knowing he was gay at an early age. pretty damn funny - great easy reading.

oh, and 'macs for dummies'

------------------

you can judge the quality and content of one's character by the way they treat someone that can do nothing for them...

Originally posted by melichacha:

Another good chick book (brace yourself -- it's a kid's book)... "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" by Judy Blume.. one of my FAVORITES of all time... *sigh.. I must have read it 800 times...

- Meli -

LOL I have actually never read that, but I have read Pam Conrads "Taking The Ferry Home" around 200 times since the 8th grade-anyone ever heard of that?