Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Roxy!

Hello Clubbers,

Well, it is not often that I post on this site but for some reason felt the need to do so because I wanted to give my support to the Roxy and its promoters. First I want to thank Bobby G., A-Luv, NJ Nick and all others involved in bringing me in to play there. Next I must say I think it is about time NY tries to bounce back from it's drought in clublife, Roxy is trying to do something positive for once. They had shows that I thought were good but more importantly you can see the effort that was put into it, costumes, choreography, all and all it was nice to see again. The only other club I have seen anything done in on a consistent basis is SF which we all know Richard is by far the best in the biz when it comes to concepts and parties. So what I say to you people is support a good thing, we need it, we need the big room to survive in NY, it is what make us the city that never sleeps. Next I must address this whole international DJ thing, I have a feeling I am going to get ripped apart for this but lets see what happens.......what is all the hype on these guys? Do you know why Roxy probably has not brought in this talent is because of one factor $$$, I want you to try and realize some of these so called "Super DJ's" command 50-70 thousand dollars to play for 3 to 4 hours (some others 20 to 30k) and I ask you why? It upsets me a great deal that this is what clubbing in NY has come to, overpriced entertainment. How does it give anyone any sort of motivation to throw a real party when the promoter or club owner is so scared he will not make his money back or needs to have 4000 people paying 50 at the door in order to cover costs. Do you want to pay 50 for nothing else but music with no decor, dancers, drag queens, eye candy and then go to the bar only to find out 2 drinks costs another 25 bucks, I don't. We need to support parties like Roxy and its promoters...they want to make this a good and more importantly FUN party and bring back that energy that NY once had without breaking the bank. It was nice to see Jonathan Peters, Hani, Kevin Williams down there fri night....on their night off I might add, that is support! Listen I like some of the overseas guys I just think the pricing is out of control, it comes back to haunt one person, the clubber, the person who wants to go listen to some great house music but does not have 150 to spend on one night of fun. Remember we have great "Local" talent...Jonathan, Denny, Boris, Danny, Roger S., Jr., Timmy Regisford(?) , Eric Morillo, Benji (heard him for the first time at Centro Fly Thurs and he turned it!!!) and your favorite....Johnny V., and you know what it is right here in your own backyard!!! We need positive people and positive parties in our great city again I think Roxy is trying to do it, I am just trying to do my part and get the word out. Do it for the music.

Jason Ojeda

PS - To the girl (Stella) who gave me my first fan letter (and typed too), I must say she made me feel like a million bucks, that all the time and all the bullshit us DJ's go through is worth it. Trust me, we all love what we do because if we didn't the drama would have killed us all a long time ago.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jasonojeda

Hello Clubbers,

Well, it is not often that I post on this site but for some reason felt the need to do so because I wanted to give my support to the Roxy and its promoters. First I want to thank Bobby G., A-Luv, NJ Nick and all others involved in bringing me in to play there. Next I must say I think it is about time NY tries to bounce back from it's drought in clublife, Roxy is trying to do something positive for once. They had shows that I thought were good but more importantly you can see the effort that was put into it, costumes, choreography, all and all it was nice to see again. The only other club I have seen anything done in on a consistent basis is SF which we all know Richard is by far the best in the biz when it comes to concepts and parties. So what I say to you people is support a good thing, we need it, we need the big room to survive in NY, it is what make us the city that never sleeps. Next I must address this whole international DJ thing, I have a feeling I am going to get ripped apart for this but lets see what happens.......what is all the hype on these guys? Do you know why Roxy probably has not brought in this talent is because of one factor $$$, I want you to try and realize some of these so called "Super DJ's" command 50-70 thousand dollars to play for 3 to 4 hours (some others 20 to 30k) and I ask you why? It upsets me a great deal that this is what clubbing in NY has come to, overpriced entertainment. How does it give anyone any sort of motivation to throw a real party when the promoter or club owner is so scared he will not make his money back or needs to have 4000 people paying 50 at the door in order to cover costs. Do you want to pay 50 for nothing else but music with no decor, dancers, drag queens, eye candy and then go to the bar only to find out 2 drinks costs another 25 bucks, I don't. We need to support parties like Roxy and its promoters...they want to make this a good and more importantly FUN party and bring back that energy that NY once had without breaking the bank. It was nice to see Jonathan Peters, Hani, Kevin Williams down there fri night....on their night off I might add, that is support! Listen I like some of the overseas guys I just think the pricing is out of control, it comes back to haunt one person, the clubber, the person who wants to go listen to some great house music but does not have 150 to spend on one night of fun. Remember we have great "Local" talent...Jonathan, Denny, Boris, Danny, Roger S., Jr., Timmy Regisford(?) , Eric Morillo, Benji (heard him for the first time at Centro Fly Thurs and he turned it!!!) and your favorite....Johnny V., and you know what it is right here in your own backyard!!! We need positive people and positive parties in our great city again I think Roxy is trying to do it, I am just trying to do my part and get the word out. Do it for the music.

Jason Ojeda

PS - To the girl (Stella) who gave me my first fan letter (and typed too), I must say she made me feel like a million bucks, that all the time and all the bullshit us DJ's go through is worth it. Trust me, we all love what we do because if we didn't the drama would have killed us all a long time ago.

True dat.

~~~i actually agree with what u wrote i never understood the $80,000 per 4 hour set thing...i understand they need to pay for their plane tickets and hotels but 80k is waaay too much.....btw sorry i missed ur set this time....but i heard u at exit saturday a while back and it was aswesome....next time:D

I want to thank Bobby G., A-Luv, NJ Nick and all others involved in bringing me in to play there. Next I must say I think it is about time NY tries to bounce back from it's drought in clublife, Roxy is trying to do something positive for once. They had shows that I thought were good but more importantly you can see the effort that was put into it, costumes, choreography, all and all it was nice to see again.

The only other club I have seen anything done in on a consistent basis is SF which we all know Richard is by far the best in the biz when it comes to concepts and parties...

Next I must address this whole international DJ thing...what is all the hype on these guys? Do you know why Roxy probably has not brought in this talent is because of one factor $$$, I want you to try and realize some of these so called "Super DJ's" command 50-70 thousand dollars to play for 3 to 4 hours (some others 20 to 30k) and I ask you why? It upsets me a great deal that this is what clubbing in NY has come to, overpriced entertainment...Do you want to pay 50 for nothing else but music with no decor, dancers, drag queens, eye candy and then go to the bar only to find out 2 drinks costs another 25 bucks, I don't...

It was nice to see Jonathan Peters, Hani, Kevin Williams down there fri night...I just think the pricing is out of control, it comes back to haunt one person, the clubber, the person who wants to go listen to some great house music but does not have 150 to spend on one night of fun.

Remember we have great "Local" talent...Jonathan, Denny, Boris, Danny, Roger S., Jr., Timmy Regisford(?) , Eric Morillo, Benji (heard him for the first time at Centro Fly Thurs and he turned it!!!) and your favorite....Johnny V., and you know what it is right here in your own backyard!!!

Do it for the music.

Jason Ojeda

I really wish I could tell you off in person...

Uhm, Mr. Ojeda? PvD is spinning at Roxy on November 1st...

But I'll tell you why I want to tell you off in person: It's not that you're clueless, but you're trying to make finances the reason why you can't bring in international talent and a better party...you think talent alone will make you get respect from the clubbing elite? No, buddy...it's that whole fucking concept of your party that has gotta go...

Guess what, Mr. Commercial DJ? The reason why we want PvD, Sasha 'n' Digweed, Parks 'n' Wilson, AvB, etc. etc. is because THEY ARE BETTER THAN Jonathan Peters, Anthony Nero, Boris, Johnny Vicious, Benji Candilario, and You combined...Erick Morillo understands this, which is why he has HIS OWN PARTY and Roger Sanchez DJing it, along with the world's best...Timmy Regisford (yeah, you spelt it correctly, you "music saavy" guy you) caters to an entirely different crowd...

Now I understand money is an issue...it always is...and you could go on and on about how you don't have any money to support a big time DJ...but I wouldn't look at you as a joke if you stressed quality in your music from the beginning, and guess what?

-Having Johnny Vicious bomb in his first few weeks doesn't really set any type of tone that you want quality DJs in the future...

-Having KTU broadcast this party to their niche of B&T teenage ignorance doesn't help in the type of crowd you want to target if you're looking to get top talent for crowds who actually have a clue...

-And employing sub-promoters with no expeirience and paying them off using an almost-illegal pyramid scheme doesn't give the music saavy clubbing elite any shred of hope...

So go ahead and cry about not having money, but you will eventually (because that KTU deal is a blessing and a curse)...and you're gonna comeback and say "look what we have," but you know something? If those really incompetent promoters had any clue to begin with, they wouldn't even look at you to DJ their party and say something here on CP...

So with all due respect: Fuck off...

Originally posted by nychunk

Great Seat, I was loving the vocals, thanks for lethal industry I believe its the first time I heard it at Roxy on the Phazon.

Agreed, I thought I heard Lethal Industry being mixed in, and then you officially dropped it. Me, The Hunk, and BuGout revived the stage.

The only thing I will say about the international talent is that while it may sometimes be costly, more often then not it is worth the money. Most NY DJ's stick to progressive,house,tribal, etc. If you want to hear quality trance music in NYC, you pretty much have to wait for guys like PVD,AVB,Jules,Tiesto,Lawrence, etc. to come around.

Guest saleen351

Here in miami, if i have to pay to get in, i rarely go, not worth it... American Dj's play the same 40 tracks... Which i have 85% of them... Yea dropping acapellas and shit like that is cool but we need to broading our track selection here in America..... Its sad that I have to read the Radio 1 charts for new music....

With that being said and you hypeing these dj's why can't any of yous get booked here in the sobe/miami/lauderdale area.. There is only 100 different clubs you can spin at.. Ask your buddy Denny, I'm always ridding his nuts too see when hes comming down.... So before you tell us that the international djs cost too much, try and get booked some where besides hunka bunka/cpis and nyc which sucks now.... I'd come see you for sure down here, but my wishes of nyc/nj djs playing here, is probably never gonna happen... I like oscar g but there is noooooooooooooo way he is better then you and denny.. Lawler sucked big time last week, so what is the fucking problem with you guys and getting booked down here? and please don't give me any WMC shit, i'm talking NOW!!!!!!! its only a 2 hour,$150 plane ticked, 200 hotel cost....

Guess what, Mr. Commercial DJ? The reason why we want PvD, Sasha 'n' Digweed, Parks 'n' Wilson, AvB, etc. etc. is because THEY ARE BETTER THAN Jonathan Peters, Anthony Nero, Boris, Johnny Vicious, Benji Candilario, and You combined...

This is why none of the DJ's post on this site anymore, with comments like this makes me laugh......Jonathan Peters sucks......but for some reason he has been packing out the same room for over 4 years at sometimes over 24 hours a set. All the people above with the exception of Nero (has not been around to long) have been around for years always doing a good job maybe not what you like and that is cool, I honestly am not crazy about hard music which Jonathan plays, but I will also tell you in the same breath he is the best resident DJ (and works records like a mother fucka) in NY and has proven that in his history at Factory and before that Mirage. It is called RESPECT highmay why don't you try and find some in that small mind of yours, I respect that you like PVD and S&D but that does not mean that I have to....it is called having a choice. This is my last post on this subject.

PS - Who is complaining about $$$, if you were to pay attention to what I said is I think it hurts the clubbers (you guys) the average person who used to go out to release some energy by listening to house music that maybe cant afford it anymore.

Oh and you know what was nice of you highmay, you gave me a compliment and didn't even know it....I have played for Morillo twice at the Subliminal Party on Thursday nights, most recent being April, so I guess I am not always a "Commercial" DJ as you want me to be..... :tongue:

perhaps highmay is hungering for a more globally accepted sound. Regardless of how many people enjoy the dominant sound of nyc, you really won't find people getting into it in otehr partsd of hte world. Asia, Erope, Africa, Australia, SO. America - you won't find any ktu playlist. The only cities where the local jocks that play hte local sound can play are where the locals go to vacation - Cancun, sobe, vegas. The local sound is very simplistic in its composition. Vocals about love, synth stabs, drum rolls, etc are all very predictable. Nyc is not alone. The breaks sound from florida is reletivelyt respected only in florida. The crap they call garage in the uk will hopefully stay there.

Maybe highmay is jealous that the music he enjoys listening to does not reach a larger audicne locally. I dunno. Roxy is a great room for what it is, but is def not a palce I'd party at. Twilo was the largest room I ever enjoyed. Sona in montreal had hte same feeling, but felt too big. That said, i did enjoy demf. Partying w/ 1500 people rocks. 2500 gets kinda weird, but adding a zero or 2 makes it really cool. The only dj I'd really liek to see at roxy is carl cox and he isn't even my favorite dj.

Maybe highmay jsut like talking shit, hehe. Jason, I was pleasently surprised at a lot of your track selection. Not exactly my cup of tea, but I'm a techno head and was bored at a festival whcih featured mostly techno. I'm a picky fucking bastard.

I'm sure I'll run into some of y'all fri. I'll be the guy that stands out:hat:

I have played for Morillo twice at the Subliminal Party on Thursday nights, most recent being April, so I guess I am not always a "Commercial" DJ as you want me to be..... :tongue:

oh really?? thats nice...i'm out of trophies, but i have a new box of chewy chips ahoy, so if you want one, let me know...

Now guess what...its not JP that has packed it in for 5 years...he's merely part of the reason...the drugs are as important to that place as how he plays to people's emotions when he is under the influence...sorry if my small mind doesnt give him as much respect as you do, because god forbid you dont mention the drug and culteral factors...

i could go on about JP, how he hasnt sounded the same, how good he used to be...how better he worked records in 98 than now...and the type of music he's been playing...but thats another convo in and of itself...

the point im trying to make is that roxy should have attempted to stress quality in their music, crowd, and themes from the beginning...money wouldnt be an issue if those people running it understood how to manage it correctly...if they did, they wouldnt need you crying to us...

ever went to college? ever took an economics class? I have accepted the fact that DJs are overpaid just like atheletes...but guess what? there's a market out there...the law of supply and demand make these DJs expensive...

now since you already stated that this was your last post, i guess telling you to prove me otherwise would be pointless...so if someone else would like to step up to bat, by all means, prove me otherwise...

does anyone realize jsut how big the roxy is? Parks and wilson didn't fill up twilo's floor. Waht makes anyone think they are suddenly gonna wrap the line around the block at roxy?

Economics - yes. There isn't enough supply of hte nyc clubbing crowd to demand most ofhte intl talent to supply feet on the dancefloor. I can really only think of 5 names that could fill up such a space. Even then you'd need heavy promtion and sublists.

Highmay, would you rahter have an empty floor w/ music you liek or would you rather go to a smaller venue w/ a party at capacity?

JASON I AGREE WITH YOU I THINK THE DJ'S ARE OVER PAID BUTIF THERE GOING TO BRING IN THOSANDS OF PEOPLE TO THE CLUB THEN I THINK THEY SHOULD GET PAID ALL THT MONEY I THINK THAT PEOPLE SHOULD GO OUT AND PARTY AND STOP COMPLAIN AND MAKE NYC SCENE THE BEST IN US AND THE WORLD I THINK THIS SCENE SUCKS RIGHT NOW AND WE AS CLUBBERS AND PROMOTERS SHOULD GO OU AND SUPPORT THE CLUBS AND DJ TALENT LIKE FOR INSTANCE. I DON'T LIKE ROXY TO MUCH NO OFFENSE TO BOB G, MYKE O ,AND A LUV AND ALL THE PROMOTERS AT ROXY I NOT INTO THE 18 ANDOVER PARTIES WHEN I WAS 18. I'M 23 YEARS OLD NOW. EXIT2 HAS REALLY MADE THE SCENE BAD. I JUST WANT TO BECOME A GOOD PROMOTER AND BRINGIN SOME TALENT, BUT PEOPLE KEEP FUCKING WITH ME AND PISS ME OFF.

JASONOJEDA I CAUGHT YOUR SHOW ON THE RADIO LAST NIGHT I WAS IMPRESS WITH YOUA DJ AND GOOD LUCK IN FURTHER CAN YOU LET MEKNOWWHN YOU ARE SPINNING NEXT YOUCAN EMAIL ME TONYRICH12@AOL.COM

OMG. Highmay let me tell you Bobby G has been doing it all wrong all this time, they should have let you run roxy. All these great comments are not being put to use. Why dont you promote you complaints to someone who can do something about it. For the billionth time, if you dont like roxy, or you dont like the music there just say so and thats it. Dont go writing essay on your hypothesis how a certain NYC club is doing wrong. So big fucking deal their not getting AVB or S&D, who da fuck cares, I think you'll find your taste in music is minority around here, either that or most of us are not nearly as narrow minded as you are.

I dont think Highmay is being narrow-minded in this case.....If you look around, how many large venues bring in international dj's? Please dont say Exit because they bring in a top notch dj and then have Draper close out for him......Thats bullshit in my book.....I also doubt any of the local dj's would have trouble landing gig's at the 50 other clubs in the area that play their style of music.....As great as Arc is, I wouldnt mind seeing a BIG venue like Roxy bring in the international dj's.........

Hello Clubbers,

Jason Ojeda

very very well said, i agree 110% couldnt have said better myself. but the only thing is i think with how much house music is growing, we also need to educate more. by that i mean they way roxy has been going with different local djs every week. nyc needs this more so this way the peeps can see we have alot to offer too.

a nero:hat:

my 2 cents

you can bringin all the international dj'sin the world but if you don't have a good local following people will start goig somewhere watch willhappn to exit2. i love supporting all the local dj's like nero and ojeda and jv and jp shawn ink buti will not support draper i think he is great producer but not a dj and people need to find a new outletbecausethere are local dj's that are so much worth pay ing the big dollars to go see

Guess what, Mr. Commercial DJ? The reason why we want PvD, Sasha 'n' Digweed, Parks 'n' Wilson, AvB, etc. etc. is because THEY ARE BETTER THAN Jonathan Peters, Anthony Nero, Boris, Johnny Vicious, Benji Candilario, and You combined...

This is why none of the DJ's post on this site anymore, with comments like this makes me laugh......Jonathan Peters sucks......but for some reason he has been packing out the same room for over 4 years at sometimes over 24 hours a set. All the people above with the exception of Nero (has not been around to long) have been around for years always doing a good job maybe not what you like and that is cool, I honestly am not crazy about hard music which Jonathan plays, but I will also tell you in the same breath he is the best resident DJ (and works records like a mother fucka) in NY and has proven that in his history at Factory and before that Mirage. It is called RESPECT highmay why don't you try and find some in that small mind of yours, I respect that you like PVD and S&D but that does not mean that I have to....it is called having a choice. This is my last post on this subject.

PS - Who is complaining about $$$, if you were to pay attention to what I said is I think it hurts the clubbers (you guys) the average person who used to go out to release some energy by listening to house music that maybe cant afford it anymore.

Oh and you know what was nice of you highmay, you gave me a compliment and didn't even know it....I have played for Morillo twice at the Subliminal Party on Thursday nights, most recent being April, so I guess I am not always a "Commercial" DJ as you want me to be..... :tongue:

Well IMO I think you ROCK and Johnathan Peters blows up SF.

All my friends that go to CPI every week in the summer LOVE YOU.

Everyone has their say

Just do what you do best.....Rock the Clubs!

NO DRAMA

HEY BUDDY WHEN ARE U GONNA COME UP TO NYC AND PLAY SOME OF YOUR MIAMI SOUND TO EDUCATE US... WE NEED A REALLY GOOD DJ TO COME PLAY HERE AND BRING LIFE BACK TO NYC... NAH UH .. I DONT THINK SO... NYC HAS ALL THE BEST DJ'S IN THE U.S. AND ALL THE GRETEST LOCAL TALENT AROUND... BY THE WAY WE GET THE BEST INTERNATIONAL TALENT AROUND TOO,I HAVENT HEARD YOUR STYLE YET SO IM NOT SAYING IM NOT GONNA LIKE IT BUT IF U DONT BRING YOUR A GAME U WILL GET BOOOOOED RIGHT OUTTA NYC... NOW WHO IS TO SAY THAT IF OUR DJ'S HERE COME TO MIAMI OR WHEREVER U ARE THAT THEY WONT GET BOOED THAT IS TOTALLY UP TO THE CROWD... BUT DONT TALK TOO MUCH SMACK CUZ U MIGHT GET SMACKED BACK.. AFTER TALKIN ALL THE SMACK U AKREADY DID I DOUBT THE REAL CLUBHEADS WOULD EVEN GIVE U CHANCE NOW

SLAMMIN PARTY AT ARC FOR DEEP DISH ... CAN'T WAIT FOR DANNY T. VS DANNY HOWELLS AND THEN THE INDEPENDENCE DAY PARTY AT EXIT IS GONNA BE SICK