Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Feelings on smoking ban in bars/clubs as of Nov.19th!!!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by brooklynkid

I used to have one or two, but now I'm pretty much perfect. And if you READ what I had typed, I only passed judgement on selfish people.

Is it really just my opinion? Not so sure about that...

I had nothing better to do. But now you have bored me. Unless you have something contructive to add to this debate.:blank:

MIKEY!!: glad to see you joining in!:D

I wouldn't call you perfect. After all, you do post here.

As far as adding something constructive to this debate...i was waitng for you to fall through on that. You haven't yet.

-iliana

:tongue:

Originally posted by iliana

I wouldn't call you perfect. After all, you do post here.

As far as adding something constructive to this debate...i was waitng for you to fall through on that. You haven't yet.

Yeah CP might be that one remaining vice of mine.

Anyway, what more can I say? I think me schooling you over and over again is all I needed to do (and that wasn't even a challenge). So now that that's done, I'll allow you to make one last desperate point. :D

Originally posted by somebitch

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: they should make that illegal... no one should be subjected to that shit.

whenever i hear the yelping of cheryl crow from the other side of the room i laugh. i swear this chick here only has one cd and it is cheryl crow.

Sweet dreams of rhythm and dancing

Sweet dreams of passion through the night

Sweet dreams are taking over

Sweet dreams of dancing through the night

I wanna get into motion

a better devotion

so I can make it through the night

so the music is playin'

you know what I'm saying

now everything will be alright

(rpt sweet dreams of rhythm and ......)

Ola ola eh ola ola eh

Ola ola eh eh ola ola eh...

Rhythm is a creation a better sensation

that will lead you through the night

When your body is movin' the music is groovin

I want to take you home tonight

(rpt sweet dreams of rhythm and ......)

(rpt ola ola eh, .....)

(rap)

Keep dancin' hard

give this groove more feeling

dance dance dance more feeling

in out up down all around

on the dance floor gettin' down

take time just to show them who

we can make your body move

totally, yes the party's started

Sweet Dreams keep comin' harder

(rpt sweet dreams of rhythm and .....)

(rpt ola ola eh, .....)

. . . More!!! . . . :laugh: . . .

La da da dee da da da da...

Be my lover, wanna be me lover

Looking back on all the time we spent together

You oughta know by now

If you wanna be my lover, wanna be my lover

Go ahead and take your time, boy you gotta feel secure

Before I make you mine, baby, you have to be sure

You wanna be my lover

Wanna be my lover, wanna be my lover

A ha ye heyee, wanna be my lover...

I hear what you say, I see what you do

I know everything I need to know about you

And I want you to know that it's telling me

You wanna be my lover

Be my lover, be my lover

I know you wanna be my lover

I know you wanna be mine

(long version:)

I must confess

Girl, yes, I wanna be your lover

Take a chance, my love is like no other

On the dancefloor getting down

Hold tight, I'll never let you down

My love is definitely the key

Like Boyz II Men I'm on bended knee

Loving you, not like your brother, aw yeah

I wanna be your lover

Yeah CP might be that one remaining vice of mine.

Anyway, what more can I say? I think me schooling you over and over again is all I needed to do (and that wasn't even a challenge). So now that that's done, I'll allow you to make one last desperate point. :D

LOL :laugh:

Hilarious! Keep schooling me so i can be ever so wise as you! I want to learn MORE and MORE through your profound intelligence!

LOLLLOL

:laugh:

-iliana

. . .Oh noooo! . . he's moved on . . . Now ITS REAL MCCOY!! . . you gotta be fuckin wit me! . . .

Automatic, automatic lover, automatic, automatic lover..

Chorus:

Call for love, I will call you up cuz you're my automatic lover,

you're number one, call for love.

I will call you up cuz you're my

automatic (automatic) my automatic lover.

Can you feel the force, can you feel it,

can you deal with my ------------- and combination, with absolute sophistication.

Deep deep down deep, in my heart may beat,

you know there's something deep inside, a kind of mystery.

So if you really need to satisfy your burning desire, you better call me up and I will set you on fire.

I feel my love is growing stronger, I can't fight this feeling.

I need your lovin all night long, I can't control myself.

Chorus

Automatic, automatic lover, automatic, automatic lover.

Your wish is my command, I'm a teacher, not a man

Cuz I got everything it takes to be your everlasting friend.

You know I'm someone very special, a brand new love attraction

And if you dial my number I will give you satisfaction.

Yes call for love get in touch with me,

To feel my super-magic space erotic ecstasy.

I feel my love is growing stronger, I can't fight this feeling.

I need your lovin all night long, I can't control myself.

Chorus twice

Hilarious! Keep schooling me so i can be ever so wise as you! I want to learn MORE and MORE through your profound intelligence!

Today you learned more than you did all of this year so far. And it's about time I see some compliments coming out of you, being all gracious in defeat.:D

. . .

The emptiness is endless, cold as clay

You can always come back, but you can't come back all the way

Well there's only one thing that I did wrong

I stayed in Mississippi a day too long

Yeah the only thing that I did wrong

Was stayed in Mississippi a day too long

The only thing that I did wrong

Was stayed in Mississippi a day too long

There is not one, not ONE reliable study that bolsters the position that limited exposure to second hand smoke results in a statistically significant risk of cancer or other problems. And when I say reliable I mean consistent with accepted statistical and research methodologies.

The ONLY study that is remotely reliable is a study from 1988 that shows a potential increase of 15% or so in any risk. However, that was in the margin of error, so in sum, there is NO significant evidence that justifies the characterization of second hand smoke as a public health hazard.

I'm not really a smoker, but if the government is going to indirectly cause economic harm to the hospitality industry, it should be based on something more than JUNK science.

Today you learned more than you did all of this year so far. And it's about time I see some compliments coming out of you, being all gracious in defeat.:D

Yes I learned that brooklynkid is a dirty rat bastard that does not like smokers at his local bar!!

I hope you suffer more cigarette burns on your fake canal-street armani shirt!

And you eyes tear every time you walk into a bar/club establishment.

And your k-mart panties reek of marlboro red's ALL DAY LONG!

Suffer suffer, hex, hex..

haah ahahaha

:D

-iliana

;)

Originally posted by GrammarPolice

I agree. Most bar owners aren't going to tell their patrons to put out their cigarettes. No way they can strictly enforce this.

If the police will take a serious approach to this legislation, they'll enforce it just like everything else gets enforced -- through fines.

I kinda look forward to this day, getting tired of watery eyes and a headache the following morning after a long night of clubbing.

Originally posted by £ddie

There is not one, not ONE reliable study that bolsters the position that limited exposure to second hand smoke results in a statistically significant risk of cancer or other problems. And when I say reliable I mean consistent with accepted statistical and research methodologies.

The ONLY study that is remotely reliable is a study from 1988 that shows a potential increase of 15% or so in any risk. However, that was in the margin of error, so in sum, there is NO significant evidence that justifies the characterization of second hand smoke as a public health hazard.

I'm not really a smoker, but if the government is going to indirectly cause economic harm to the hospitality industry, it should be based on something more than JUNK science.

BROOKLYN KID..WHERE ARE YOU..WHERE ARE YOU??? WANT TO HEAR YOUR RETORT ON THIS ONE

(lolllol)

-iliana

:tongue:

. . . Correct! . . .

Yes I learned that brooklynkid is a dirty rat bastard that does not like smokers at his local bar!!

You must have the attention span of a walnut. I said in an earlier post that I could care less. I'm not out enough to really care.

I hope you suffer more cigarette burns on your fake canal-street armani shirt!

OK that's not me AT ALL. I think anyone here who knows me can vouch for that...funny though.

And you eyes tear every time you walk into a bar/club establishment.

And your k-mart panties reek of marlboro red's ALL DAY LONG!

K-Mart? Try Target. Anyway, this winter when it's 20 degrees outside I'll be waving to you from inside the window while you are banished to the outdoors.:D

In 1986, two reports were published on the association between ETS exposure and adverse health effects in nonsmokers: one by the U.S. Surgeon General and the other by the Expert Committee on Passive Smoking, National Academy of Sciences' National Research Council (NAS/NRC). Both of these reports concluded that:

ETS can cause lung cancer in healthy adult nonsmokers;

Children of parents who smoke have more respiratory symptoms and acute lower respiratory tract infections, as well as evidence of reduced lung function, than do children of nonsmoking parents; and

Separating smokers and nonsmokers within the same air space may reduce but does not eliminate a nonsmoker's exposure to ETS.

More recent epidemiologic studies support and reinforce these earlier reports. The firmly established causal relationship between lung cancer and mainstream smoke, coupled with the chemical similarities between ETS and the smoke inhaled by smokers, led researchers to conclude that involuntary smoking is likely to have similar effects on the lung. In light of the widespread presence of ETS in both the home and workplace and its absorption by the body, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released a report in 1992 in which ETS was classified as a Group A carcinogena category reserved only for the most dangerous cancer-causing agents in humans.

The overall results of 30 epidemiologic studies of lung cancer and involuntary smoking further justify a Group A classification. In these studies, female never-smokers who are married to smokers are compared with female never-smokers who are married to nonsmokers. Higher exposures cause higher risks, and people whose spouses smoke in the home face a higher risk than that of people whose spouses do not smoke at home. In studies of ETS in the workplace, exposures are often even greater than exposure at home from spousal smoking.

While the EPA report focuses only on the respiratory health effects of involuntary smoking, there may be other health effects of concern as well. Recent studies suggest that ETS exposure also may be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. In addition, a few studies link ETS exposure to types of cancer other than lung.

Very true. Also, the EPA once tried to make the case that second hand smoke kills 3000 a year, and the judge threw the case out of court because it was based on flawed studies. The evidence that it is harmful is shotty, at best.

Acute Effects of Passive Smoking on the Coronary Circulation in Healthy Young Adults

Ryo Otsuka, MD; Hiroyuki Watanabe, MD; Kumiko Hirata, MD; Kotaro Tokai, MD; Takashi Muro, MD; Minoru Yoshiyama, MD; Kazuhide Takeuchi, MD; Junichi Yoshikawa, MD

Context Recent studies have shown that passive smoking is a risk factor for ischemic heart disease and may be associated with vascular endothelial dysfunction. The acute effects of passive smoking on coronary circulation in nonsmokers are not known.

Objective To determine the acute effects of passive smoking on coronary circulation using coronary flow velocity reserve (CFVR), assessed by noninvasive transthoracic Doppler echocardiography.

Design, Setting, and Participants Cross-sectional study conducted from September 2000 to November 2000 among 30 Japanese men (mean age, 27 years; 15 healthy nonsmokers and 15 asymptomatic active smokers) without history of hypertension, diabetes mellitus, or hyperlipidemia.

Main Outcome Measures Coronary flow velocity reserve, calculated as the ratio of hyperemic to basal coronary flow velocity induced by intravenous infusion of adenosine triphosphate and measured in each participant before and after a 30-minute exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.

Results Heart rate and blood pressure responses to adenosine triphosphate infusion were not affected by passive smoking exposure in either group. Passive smoking exposure had no effect on basal coronary flow velocity in either group. Mean (SD) CFVR in nonsmokers was significantly higher than that in active smokers before passive smoking exposure (4.4 [0.91] vs 3.6 [0.88], respectively; P = .02), while CFVR after passive smoking exposure did not differ between groups (P = .83). Passive smoking exposure significantly reduced mean (SD) CFVR in nonsmokers (4.4 [0.91] vs 3.4 [0.73], respectively; P<.001).

Conclusions Passive smoking substantially reduced CFVR in healthy nonsmokers. This finding provides direct evidence that passive smoking may cause endothelial dysfunction of the coronary circulation in nonsmokers.

JAMA. 2001;286:436-441

You must have the attention span of a walnut. I said in an earlier post that I could care less. I'm not out enough to really care.

OK that's not me AT ALL. I think anyone here who knows me can vouch for that...funny though.

K-Mart? Try Target. Anyway, this winter when it's 20 degrees outside I'll be waving to you from inside the window while you are banished to the outdoors.:D

Actually I basically ignored everything you said ...so yeah. i didn't know that you cared less. (Judging by your passionate responses to what i had to say , i thought otherwise)

Talking about the attention span of a walnut..it takes one to know one. If you REMEMBER i stated i was a SOCIAL SMOKER.

I don't do the smoking out side thing during work hours. What's the matter?? You weren't paying attention??

DUMBASS!!

-iliana

;)

First, what constitutes "limited" exposure? I believe that staff is at a significant risk but I also believe that for patrons going for a drink once a week for three hours...it might not be such a big deal.

BUT, just because something doesn't kill you (gee, why weren't these studies being done 30 years ago??) doesn't mean it isn't harming you. And just because something may not be a hazard doesn't mean that it's not a nuisance. People choking, eyes burning, all those things, they all add up to grievances people will complain about and pols will listen to.

Those opposed to this ban should read up on NYC's other "quality-of-life" laws and be thankful that it hasn't been passed sooner.

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . More!!! . . . :laugh: . . .

Be my lover, wanna be me lover

Looking back on all the time we spent together

You oughta know by now

If you wanna be my lover, wanna be my lover

Go ahead and take your time, boy you gotta feel secure

Before I make you mine, baby, you have to be sure

You wanna be my lover

Wanna be my lover, wanna be my lover