Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Feelings on smoking ban in bars/clubs as of Nov.19th!!!

Originally posted by iliana

Omg, I would seriously like to know how old you are? Plus i would liek to know if you're so much older and experienced and wiser, how you spend all this time on a shat board antoginizing people??

Honestly? I think debate is healthy. If not, then everyone just mindlessly conforms. There's so much useless noise on this board that I only like to post when something like this is going on. I just wish that there were more intelligent people arguing your side, but then again, those people probably don't want to be associated with your views.

and since when does the drama board have "private arguments'.

Everything on here is on public display dumbass. ( Oh no,more name calling!!!!)

The drama board is for people with personal beefs who decide to take it public. This thread is about an issue that will soon effect everyone who reads CP.

Well..think about it monkey brain. would he EVEN GET IN with a boombox if there's bouncers at the door...NOOOOOOOO!!!

(Anyway, smoke vaporates unlike "music")

You need to look up "hypothetical" in the dictionary. Also, smoke doesn't evaporate because it isn't liquid. It's made up of particles which either get inhaled into your lungs or dissipate (spread out)into the air. It all goes somewhere though.

Get a better example please.

Once again...if we all have the right to walk safely on the sidewalk does that give a joyrider the right to drive up onto the sidewalk and endanger people just because he enjoys that? No. There are laws to protect public safety.

And to those tired of reading this thread...there's plenty of other threads to read!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sutogame

bartender and waiters know that they will work with smoking customers. If they dont like it they should get another job besides speaking from experience as a waiter smokers tip alot more than nonsmokers.

Nice stereotyping there Sutogame....I too was a waitress and a bartender, and it's about equal....smokers and non-smokers both tip about equally, depends on the people, not their dirty habits....get real!!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by brooklynkid

Honestly? I think debate is healthy. If not, then everyone just mindlessly conforms. There's so much useless noise on this board that I only like to post when something like this is going on. I just wish that there were more intelligent people arguing your side, but then again, those people probably don't want to be associated with your views.

Honestly..I think you need to get a REAL job if you're soo much older and have all this time to fuck around on a message board. You still live with mommy and daddy??

And god forbid if there are people on clubplanet that don't want to be associated with my view....GOD FORBID.....my life has ended!!! (bwaaha)

You need to look up "hypothetical" in the dictionary. Also, smoke doesn't evaporate because it isn't liquid. It's made up of particles which either get inhaled into your lungs or dissipate (spread out)into the air. It all goes somewhere though.

Hypothetical---ahhhh just like my little example of being in a strip joint and then being offended by the nudity....

Glad you picked up on it (finally). And the simple solution is, again, if you're sooo bothered by it, then don't walk into a bar!

Once again...if we all have the right to walk safely on the sidewalk does that give a joyrider the right to drive up onto the sidewalk and endanger people just because he enjoys that? No. There are laws to protect public safety.

Tell me, where you a overwhelmingly happy when they closed down tunnel, limelight and twilo??? These clubs were labeled as nuisances to the surrounding neighborhood and as dangerous places for our young kids to go to. They were closed for overall public safety....

:bigfinge:

That's what I think of all these laws that are slowly prohibiting the general public, slowly taking away what they find pleasurable.

Think about that sucker!

-iliana

:rolleyes:

I think I'm done with you. You're boring. It was fun for a while though. It's people like you who are making others leave CP for other boards :rolleyes:

Try more: Your pea brain has nothing to retort with and now you realize how your way of thinking (as far as public safety is concerned) falters.

Now go fuck yourself you fascist anal retentive asshole!

-iliana

:tongue:

It's people like you who are making others leave CP for other boards :rolleyes:

oh boo hoo. people are leaving cp. :cry: :cry: :cry: the only people who would even CARE about the state of a messageboard or that people are leaving cp are people who need LIVES outside the messageboard world. ;)

actually Iliana - your hypothetical about the strip bars only works if ALL bars were strip bars, and the only place you could go for a drink or to hear music was in a strip bar.

then we're closer

now, there is a difference between being offended and health risks. so lets assume that some of the clients like it when the strippers pee on them. but just some of the customers like this. but they like it so much that they can't conceive of going out to a bar and not getting pee'd on. so lets add in that its not just a strip club, but every customer gets urinated or spat on by the strippers...every single customer.

now you've got a decent comparison.

Originally posted by barvybe

actually Iliana - your hypothetical about the strip bars only works if ALL bars were strip bars, and the only place you could go for a drink or to hear music was in a strip bar.

No barvybe, my hypothetical example DOES work because it's used to describe a NON-SMOKER being bother by second hand smoke. It's not used to describe an establishment.

-iliana

:eek:

no it doesn't.

1st - u'r talking about someone being offended...offended and physically bothered are different.

2nd -

if there were smoking bars and non smoking bars it would work great. the person offended at the strip bar can just go to a non strip bar. since 99% of bars aren't strip bars their choices aren't really limitted.

the non smoker has few if any non smoking bars to go to

analogy fails

try understanding what an accurate analogy is girly. its not just similar on the surface.

no it doesn't.

1st - u'r talking about someone being offended...offended and physically bothered are different.

2nd -

if there were smoking bars and non smoking bars it would work great. the person offended at the strip bar can just go to a non strip bar. since 99% of bars aren't strip bars their choices aren't really limitted.

the non smoker has few if any non smoking bars to go to

analogy fails

try understanding what an accurate analogy is girly. its not just similar on the surface.

Hello????? People describe cigarette smoke as "offensive".

Stop playing fucking stupid.

And you STILL DON'T GET MY POINT...because "strip Joint" is only used as an EXAMPLE OF NON SMOKER WALKING INTO A BAR EXPECTING NOT TO ENCOUNTER CIGARETTE SMOKE. Wether I'm using nudity as a non-physical example of offense is not the point....the point is DON't walk into a bar if you are soo offended by smoke!

-iliana

;)

And you STILL DON'T GET MY POINT...because "strip Joint" is only used as an EXAMPLE OF NON SMOKER WALKING INTO A BAR EXPECTING NOT TO ENCOUNTER CIGARETTE SMOKE. Wether I'm using nudity as a non-physical example of offense is not the point....the point is DON't walk into a bar if you are soo offended by smoke!

What a joke. :rolleyes:

-iliana

;)

OK, so your point is avoid things that offend you.

Well, smoke doesn't offend me at all.

If they were considering banning smoking cause its offensive, they'd ban it from the outdoors well before from the indoors. Lots of people find spandex on fat girls offensive but they're not gonna pass legislation on it.

OK, so your point is avoid things that offend you.

Well, smoke doesn't offend me at all.

If they were considering banning smoking cause its offensive, they'd ban it from the outdoors well before from the indoors. Lots of people find spandex on fat girls offensive but they're not gonna pass legislation on it.

Hooray for you if you don't find it offensive. (Wondering why you're making a big stink about smoking in a bar especially if there's no proof that it causes harm)

But yes, second hand smoke (it's smell) has been considered "offensive".

-iliana

;)

interesting point, but there is a difference:

- drinking isn't dangerous per se. drinking tons is of course, and drunk driving is. drinking in moderation is actually good for you (at least that's the consensus opinion)

- when the guy next to you drinks it doesn't damage your liver.

- as for legalizing other drugs...different issue and yeah the US is all fucked up with the contradiction between legal drinking but illegal pot and other substances. that's a HUGE separate topic

that was such a polite comment for this poll! thank you! i have one observation though -- many times when a guy next to you gets drunk he also becomes violent and that is not good! i've seen it too many times...

Hooray for you if you don't find it offensive. (Wondering why you're making a big stink about smoking in a bar especially if there's no proof that it causes harm)

But yes, second hand smoke (it's smell) has been considered "offensive".

-iliana

;)

i've stated many times in this thread that i myself smoke in bars sometimes. however, there is evidence that 2nd hand smoke is harmful. is it ready for the courts yet? probably not. but that is specifically related to whether 2nd hand smoke causes cancer.

there's tons of evidence that any particulate mater (smoke, coal dust, pollution, etc.) causes respiratory distress, irritation to the lining of the throat and lungs, etc. so smoke is clearly bad for you and the coughing that people do the evening / morning after being in a club are good indicators of this.

also, bar / club owners will be open to law suits from their employees if they develop respiratory problems including (but not only) lung cancer since studies are starting to show that bartenders (who have been tending for many years) who don't smoke have a higher incidence of lung cancer (by a lot) than people in other professions that don't smoke. since we know that smoking causes cancer legal arguments will eventually be made that bar / restaurant owners knew this and didn't provide a safe work environment. The more evidence mounts before any action takes place the more liable owners and municipalities will be (just as ciggy co's were in all the class action suits)

i think the situation sucks all around. but people who smoke should be lobbying for solutions instead of ignoring this cause its gonna happen eventually.

Originally posted by zlatang

that was such a polite comment for this poll! thank you! i have one observation though -- many times when a guy next to you gets drunk he also becomes violent and that is not good! i've seen it too many times...

true enough

legally you're covered though...the bar is liable if someone gets too drunk and if someone assaults you then you can sue / call the cops of course.

still sucks of course to have to deal with it though

also, bar / club owners will be open to law suits from their employees if they develop respiratory problems including (but not only) lung cancer since studies are starting to show that bartenders (who have been tending for many years) who don't smoke have a higher incidence of lung cancer (by a lot) than people in other professions that don't smoke. since we know that smoking causes cancer legal arguments will eventually be made that bar / restaurant owners knew this and didn't provide a safe work environment. The more evidence mounts before any action takes place the more liable owners and municipalities will be (just as ciggy co's were in all the class action suits)

That won't happen. Worker's comp laws all over the country prohibit lawsuits against employers in 99% of circumstances. Smoking related injuries would not be one of the exceptions to the rule.

Originally posted by £ddie

That won't happen. Worker's comp laws all over the country prohibit lawsuits against employers in 99% of circumstances. Smoking related injuries would not be one of the exceptions to the rule.

don't be so sure about that

depends on if smoke is considered an unavoidable or acceptable / unpreventable hazard or whether air quality is under the control of the provider of the working place.

lets just say its uncharted territory

don't be so sure about that

depends on if smoke is considered an unavoidable or acceptable / unpreventable hazard or whether air quality is under the control of the provider of the working place.

lets just say its uncharted territory

I spent two months studying Worker's Comp for the bar exam. I'm sure. ;)