Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Strike!

yeah there was no way i was gonna walk to the city.. from queens so i just banged in wish i had a car and even if i had one it would of been a pain on the arse to get into the city. dam twu its not the mayor's fault if anyone should hear it is pataki.. my two cents 1L

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not the MTA,its the TWU.Let them strike,they only have 3.6 mill in there Union account,so for each day of the strike its 1 mill,hopefully that would bankrupt the Union.:)

the TWU is can sell its headquarters in Manhattan to cover the cost. it's headquarters are worth $60 million.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/370961p-315545c.html

also, the fine workes out to under $30 per member. If the TWU needed to raise funds without selling the building, it should be able to get it from its members.

this is the local union - you dont screw over millions of people for leverage purposes - there are certain public servants that really cant strike and this is one of them - shame on them - they are ruining peoples lives for their cause.

I wonder if the transit workers are enjoying their day off at a cost of up to $400 a day in lost wages? They can make it up upon retirement, at age 55, by starting a second career, since today's life expectancy for men is about

77, women, 80. Oh, wait, I forgot, transit workers like sitting around doing nothing, and getting paid $25, plus time & a half for overtime, an hour with free health benefits. So I guess that's all they'll be doing upon retirement, sitting on their asses, rather than being productive members of society. Anyway, their skills will be quite limited, as they are now. Their customer service skills suck, and driving a bus or train doesn't exactly translate into other job skills, like say, um, being a medical technician, electrician, plumber, doctor, nurse, secretary, receptionist, nurse, restaurant manager, entrepreneur. At age 55, they won't want to start an entry level position or gain new job skills, so we'll have a bunch of unhealthy, unhappy, unproductive old folks. And studies have shown that after retirement, unless you're a really outgoing person with a lot of hobbies, social contacts, and outlets for physical activity, that the downhill slide into illness and death is pretty fast.

So what are they fighting for? Are these jobs really all that desirable? They have to fight and whine and inconvenience an entire city for a raise and pension benefits? Don't these people understand that this is a free market society and they can get other jobs where they can learn and grow, and get raises based on MERIT and if they don't like it, they can go somewhere else? And if they can't get other jobs after leaving the MTA because of their lack of skills and recommendations, then shouldn't they just STFU and take what they get and live within their means?

Inflation affects everyone, not just union workers. It's survival of the fittest, and for the TWU, they're only as good as their weakest link, and I wouldn't want my pay raise determined by the quality of job performance, or lack thereof, of thousands of other workers who have bad attitudes and a 'gimme' mindset.

Unions set the standard of living for everyone, even if you aren't in a union. Your company now needs to compete with MTA to get employees who get paid $25/hr healthcare 401K, etc. and now they need to offer just as much or similar to get you to work for them. New York is very unionized and as you can see our standard of living is much better than most other places. Look at all the culture, clubs, nightlife, diversity, etc. bcuz of it.

As for pay raises for job performance everything needs to be even and equal, so some dumbass boss can't fuck you over.

And unions provide a skilled workforce with very low turnover.

As you can see these past Bush years more and more are losing health benefits and pensions. Do we all want to be sick old people that need to work? NO. If the unions don't pressure the companies to pay for healthcare than there is no incentive for the companies to lobby the govt. to change this crazy healthcare system.

Good for the TWU to take a stand! We've lost so much to the middle class under Bush. About time we start fighting back! Deal with what u have to and remember these people don't want to be out of work it costs them money. The are out on the picket line to stick up for the middle class.

pffffffffffffffft

seriously.... be a dick because that was retarded of me.....lol

I kinda thought it was weird she was posting..

whoohooo hi five

lol whut. i cant post on here anymore? :hat:

and yesterday i was able to catch a cab, but i had to be at work at 7:30 in the morning.. that blew

hi daniela! merry xmas

lol whut. i cant post on here anymore? :hat:

and yesterday i was able to catch a cab, but i had to be at work at 7:30 in the morning.. that blew

hi daniela! merry xmas

i saw the name and was like HOLYSHIT SUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

how far do you work? can't walk right?

Hi SueSue, Merry Xmas to you too.. you going to Beantown?

i saw the name and was like HOLYSHIT SUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

how far do you work? can't walk right?

Hi SueSue, Merry Xmas to you too.. you going to Beantown?

hey dee,

i live on 49th street but work in union square (18th and bway) its about a 30 block walk. i walked home last night and walked to work this mroning. its eh. not that bad a of a walk but just COLD

i am leaving for boston on saturday but coming back on monday. just a quick trip. any plans for the holidays?

hey dee,

i live on 49th street but work in union square (18th and bway) its about a 30 block walk. i walked home last night and walked to work this mroning. its eh. not that bad a of a walk but just COLD

i am leaving for boston on saturday but coming back on monday. just a quick trip. any plans for the holidays?

AWW.. well bundle up, dont' get sick for the holidays.

I have planned

alot of food

alot of gifts

alot of family

:)

i refuse to side w/ a group of people who have no real job skills .. i went to college to get paid less than these assholes and only can hope for a chance to retire at 55 ..

douchebags ..

lets just figure out who the douchebag really is... paying for college and can't make as much as a so called no skill transit worker.

the higher paying jobs there are dangerous. do you work near trains moving and the third rail? think about it how many people die a year in ur job.

lets just figure out who the douchebag really is... paying for college and can't make as much as a so called no skill transit worker.

the higher paying jobs there are dangerous. do you work near trains moving and the third rail? think about it how many people die a year in ur job.

wow, that was some asinine shit to spew ... considering that a good percentage of college graduates arent making 25/hr ... douchebag

also .. with enough skill and care and proper training .. training you could provide for ... lets say .. a small monkey .. no one should die on a third rail .. plus the majority of the electrical work is done by the Local 3 electricians union .. douchebag

wow, that was some asinine shit to spew ... considering that a good percentage of college graduates arent making 25/hr ... douchebag

also .. with enough skill and care and proper training .. training you could provide for ... lets say .. a small monkey .. no one should die on a third rail .. plus the majority of the electrical work is done by the Local 3 electricians union .. douchebag

well maybe if ur a college graduate u would be smart enough to see the place unions serve and u would stick up for yourself in ur job and demand a living wage. No one in NYC deserves to make less than $25/hr. these companies make billions. Demand ur fair share. U need at least $50k/yr to live on your own in this city.

I drove into the city today left my house at 630 in staten island and got into work at midtown at 730. Yesterday I left work at 3pm and was home by 415. Its not bad. Why isnt anyone pointing figures at the mta, didnt they have two copies of their books? They cheated everyone and nobody is saying anything. It cost me 50 dollars a week to get to work. And im sure once this strike is over, that is going to go up. Cause who is going to pay their raises, we are....

yea real dangerous.. cops have a more dangerous job and get paid less.. and have also worked many periods of time without a contract..

this selfish union could easily negotiate while still on the job... they claim to serve the working man but what about the working man that cant get to work because of this strike..also what about all the businesses hurt..

it doesnt matter though.. this strike will be settled soon and hopefully they will get less than the mta's final negotiation..fuck em all (thats the union heads i mean)

I mean - the shit "Daily News" published all these days was completely against them! And overall the public opinion was also against the workers. Forget not being able to get to work, but also it's cold, small businesses are suffering, it's the holidays, unions in other professions get a lot less than what transit workers get now...

I'm sure they may have a valid case. MTA is not anybody's favorite organization with their 50-cent fare hikes, shitty subway service and supposedly cooked books that show $1B surpluses. But MTA definitely has better PR - those "holiday bonus" $1 rides were proof. I don't think the union did the right thing to be heard. Instead of paying lawyers for all these court proceedings, these money would've been much better spent on PR!