Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Limelight and Spirit update....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spirit sounds different than anything going on here as of yet, so I welcome anything that has something new to offer...no it won't be the traditional club situation but it's probably worth checking out. The one that opened in Dublin has done very well so far...

www.spiritdublin.com

If u want to check what it's all about. I'm still not exactly clear on the concept but looks decent...

As for Limelight I still love that name but I guess they just can't keep it. The name Avalon kind of blows, but it's better than half the other retarded names of places in this city.

And Crobar...well..can't wait till that opens.

I think we should all be welcoming to any new venues in this city, because let's be honest NY nitelife is HURTING right now...yeah there are a couple cool places but that's it. Compared to the past things could be WAY better.

Originally posted by dirtyepic18

well, just how far into construction is it and is there plan for when its opening?

Construction is on target. Floors go down in a few days and then the sheet rock can be finished.

After that it's painting and fixtures.

Still scheduled to be opening mid to late September give a week or two.

Hope this info helps

Last night on the Dave Attell show...he was in Ireland...they showed the club SPIRIT there...place looked HOOOOOOT!!!!

If the one here will be anything like the one there it should be good. Stage shows, dancers everywhere...Reminded me of how Factory has their stage shows...they just werent as weird lol.

Tek

• 1 month later...

O.k.

I know you all want Limelight back. But the problem is Peter Gatien(original owner of limelight) is deported back to Canada. The days of the dark superclub are over. Owners of these clubs cannot afford to let there be an open atmosphere like that of Palladium & Twilo. THe closest thing to an open atmosphere is ROXY on saturday nights, thats about the only club that you can stil hear great music and have that dark club atmosphere. (Peter RAuhofer) Limelight will re-open as Avalon or spider and will not draw the crowds of old. How many people went when it re-opened last time? ? ?? I did but I doubt any of you did.

AS for all the hubub about Crobar......It will not be what everyone expects. Every moron and his brother will be tring to get in. And the only night that will be good will be Sunday nights (Victor Calderone). The door should be intresting.

ANd last but not least SPirit. I cannot give an honest opinion about a club that doesnt exsist yet. I talked to a person whos been in the club world since the "First soundfactory/Twilo" exsisted. ANd he said that it wont be anything like TWILO. So I really dont know what to expect. These clubs wil probably not open until november anyway.

I hope that something new comes along and rocks the club world.

we need it.

Originally posted by 530west28

Construction is on target. Floors go down in a few days and then the sheet rock can be finished.

After that it's painting and fixtures.

Still scheduled to be opening mid to late September give a week or two.

Hope this info helps

Um...next weekend will be mid september. The week after that would be late september. Are you guys going to promote the place at 10pm the night it opens? Good luck.

well i think if everyone loved limelight so much and if it does open up with a new name which ever it may be. let them get a good dj and good party going and in a few months it will be back to your dirty dark club everyone seems to want with that place. look at exit when they first opened up. not even a year goes by and that place was a shit hole but people still went week after week. now they have hip hop on the main floor for friday nights. don't get me wrong, i like hip hop but definitly not at exit.

as for spirit. i like how they want to have this place something differnt for nyc. and will probally do good with an older crowd of late 20's and early 30's but lets face it all the teen agers and young adults are still in there drug faze and want to go out and get fucked up and talk about there night for a week.

and for crobar well i hope that place takes nyc out of the injured list of nightlife. they need some big djs to do it too. cause there are just to many clubs/lounges in the city now. only way any of these superclubs can do good is if all the top promoters/directors all get together and do a party. like exit was on fridays and even factory and roxy. but promoters got greedy and now do there own parties at smaller venues. they make more money and have a great time too. so alot of people will not leave what they have now to get screwed again at these big clubs. so i hope these club owners have big plans and know what there doing in the nyc club scene.

just my opinion.

Z

Originally posted by nicknyc98:

This thread is breaking my heart. LL was my ol' stompin grounds. They should somehow recreate that atmosphere, with Alig and Mr.Purple, Lord Michael nights, and sex on the dancefloor.

Alig goes way back; the clubkids et al. The blatant openness & public view of drug-use & sex was part of those parties. That crazy atmosphere is in the past....it's even difficult to get a cabaret license in nyc today.

I agree w/you though that all-out parties would be phat.

I read on a flyer i got from Arc that Limelight is def called Avalon and the party there is going to be called "Tsunami". Also I was talking to Dj Tony Draper (Exit) he said he is going to be djing at Avalon & it opens soon. I don't know if he is going to be the resident or not.

This is take from Roger Sanchez's website concerinig Spirit....

"have just been told by my agent that we have finally locked down the new york release yourself venue..

the fantastic posse of spirit in dublin have bought the former twilo space & renovated it fabulously( i saw it under construction last month) and have just confirmed the last saturday of every month beginning in october.

at last! an nyc home! can't wait till october!"

here's the link...

Roger Sanchez's message board

If so, this should be one hell of a party... This would actually force me to make an effort to go the city more often.

Originally posted by pumavisor808

This is take from Roger Sanchez's website concerinig Spirit....

"have just been told by my agent that we have finally locked down the new york release yourself venue..

the fantastic posse of spirit in dublin have bought the former twilo space & renovated it fabulously( i saw it under construction last month) and have just confirmed the last saturday of every month beginning in october.

at last! an nyc home! can't wait till october!"

here's the link...

Roger Sanchez's message board

If so, this should be one hell of a party... This would actually force me to make an effort to go the city more often.

Wow, this is awesome news :)

Hope this means the NY nightlife will be taking a turn for the better...