Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Soundfactory Review

This was taken from Junior's message board....

Subject: My review for yesterday with partial setlist

Date: 12/22/2003 1:15:33 PM

It was my first trip to the new Sound Factory, and I was very impressed with the club itself. It is clean; there are TONS of bathrooms, and they all work. The staff is nice, though I agree with another poster who noted that the bartenders aren't very friendly. Also: WHAT's UP with no alcohol being served after noon? Mamma likes a beer at the end of the day.

Other downsides: Though the club was decorated very, very well (Christmas trees everywhere--not sure how this is Camelot, though!), the lights weren't great--too busy, too much. Also, far more important, that sound system needs some calibrating. Early in the night, it was FAR too loud. Junior kept mixing in the high end of a cymbal-crashing sound, which is cool in theory, but only on a perfect system. In there it just ruined your ears.

Now on to the music. Junior was amazing. He worked every record, mostly kept the energy up, and chose the perfect flow of music. If you missed yesterday, kick yourself.

Here are some songs played, in no particular order:

That's It--Hyperdrive--always great to hear

Fly Again (worked and worked, into:)

Things Just Ain't the Same, the full Hex mix, triple-worked like Junior used to do at Arena

RAY OF LIGHT (fucking unbelievable--congrats Jr.)

Deeper

Hollywood

This Love--Maroon 5 (sounded great hearing it out for the first time)

Cry Me a River

All Out of Love--Air Supply (this was some horrifying mistake of a remix; it was the worst moment of the night and drained a lot of energy in those eight minutes)

Milkshake

Me Against the Music--love this mix

Save My Soul--new Kristine W, terrific

I Got Something

Dark Beat

It's Love (Trippin')--Andrea Brown

Rapture--Iio

I Drove All Night--just the beats, no lyrics, which is the best way to hear that song

STRANGE WORLD (always nice to hear)

Me Myself and Your Child (awesome)

Music/Musik

Trouble Don't Last Always (Chad's)

And, as I was leaving at 12:15 (exhausted from dancing since 4:30 without many breaks), Thieves in the Temple

IT was posted below that Junior played until 2:30, which is surprising because I thought the new club was supposed to return to old Sound Factory hours, closing around noon. Disappointing to me that he's continuing the later hours, but I am curious what I missed. I am especially curious if he played Where Love Is, because I was dying to hear it all day yesterday.

Thanks Junior!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sfqueen

All Out of Love--Air Supply (this was some horrifying mistake of a remix; it was the worst moment of the night and drained a lot of energy in those eight minutes)

Milkshake

Dark Beat

Rapture--Iio

I Drove All Night--just the beats, no lyrics, which is the best way to hear that song

Oh my God. This track list is horrible.

This was taken from Junior's message board....

Subject: My review for yesterday with partial setlist

Date: 12/22/2003 1:15:33 PM

It was my first trip to the new Sound Factory, and I was very impressed with the club itself. It is clean; there are TONS of bathrooms, and they all work. The staff is nice, though I agree with another poster who noted that the bartenders aren't very friendly. Also: WHAT's UP with no alcohol being served after noon? Mamma likes a beer at the end of the day.

Other downsides: Though the club was decorated very, very well (Christmas trees everywhere--not sure how this is Camelot, though!), the lights weren't great--too busy, too much. Also, far more important, that sound system needs some calibrating. Early in the night, it was FAR too loud. Junior kept mixing in the high end of a cymbal-crashing sound, which is cool in theory, but only on a perfect system. In there it just ruined your ears.

Now on to the music. Junior was amazing. He worked every record, mostly kept the energy up, and chose the perfect flow of music. If you missed yesterday, kick yourself.

Here are some songs played, in no particular order:

That's It--Hyperdrive--always great to hear

Fly Again (worked and worked, into:)

Things Just Ain't the Same, the full Hex mix, triple-worked like Junior used to do at Arena

RAY OF LIGHT (fucking unbelievable--congrats Jr.)

Deeper

Hollywood

This Love--Maroon 5 (sounded great hearing it out for the first time)

Cry Me a River

Milkshake

Me Against the Music--love this mix

Save My Soul--new Kristine W, terrific

I Got Something

Dark Beat

Rapture--Iio

STRANGE WORLD (always nice to hear)

Me Myself and Your Child (awesome)

Music/Musik

Trouble Don't Last Always (Chad's)

And, as I was leaving at 12:15 (exhausted from dancing since 4:30 without many breaks), Thieves in the Temple

IT was posted below that Junior played until 2:30, which is surprising because I thought the new club was supposed to return to old Sound Factory hours, closing around noon. Disappointing to me that he's continuing the later hours, but I am curious what I missed. I am especially curious if he played Where Love Is, because I was dying to hear it all day yesterday.

Thanks Junior!

How do you remember all those songs being played and in that particular order...?:confused:

Milkshake

Dark Beat

Rapture--Iio

Originally posted by someclown

Oh my God. This track list is horrible.

I agree - that's just terrible.

I respect Jr for his accomplishments, but damn, that track list looks like something fresh out of Denny Tsettos play book :laugh:

Originally posted by sexxyh

THE PLAYLIST IS OLD!!!:blown:

Lets put it this way... IF JP had played a set like that @ a THEME party, he would hav gotten so flamed on the boards that you could cook marshmellows on his ass, so why does JR get a pass? Well he gets none from me. That tracklist is crap. For such an "innovator" it sure looks like alot of KTU crap. Oh and by the way his last song was "Last Dance" (yawn.....playyyyyed out:lame: ) and his second to last was "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch". I can't imagine hearing a song like that in SF.......

I agree, JP would have def gotten flamed, as would any other dj supposidly still in their prime.

From what I hear Jr's party has been doing less then 1000 people a week and even for themes it's been horrible.

I hear the toy drive was a total bust.

I love how people are like ohh man Jr was insane, he played Iio Rapture backwards. That's an old trick Jr. It's not flying anymore.

Not to mention it's Rapture and the track is old and PLAYED......

Jr should retire from the booth and stick to producing and remixing. On the the mixing board, he's still a master!!

I wish JP was back at SF and this was just a little trick to show people, you don't know what you've got till it's gone...

I just can't picture him at exit or anywhere else....

Originally posted by djgrod

Lets put it this way... IF JP had played a set like that @ a THEME party, he would hav gotten so flamed on the boards that you could cook marshmellows on his ass, so why does JR get a pass? Well he gets none from me. That tracklist is crap. For such an "innovator" it sure looks like alot of KTU crap. Oh and by the way his last song was "Last Dance" (yawn.....playyyyyed out:lame: ) and his second to last was "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch". I can't imagine hearing a song like that in SF.......

Yes that play list is old and I agree with you that JR should be just as criticized as anyone who would have played those songs, BUT i do seem to remember going to SF quite a few times to reutnr over 8 months later to still here JP playing the same stupid song at the same time for AN HOUR AND FIFTEEN MINUTES!!!!!!!! So to say that JP was plying brand new stuff every single week is a little offpoint.

*laugh*

i bet 75% of those tracks were his own mixes (since he basically remixes like every track he plays) and not the same thing every other dj has played... all you need to do is listen to his ktu show and its obvious how much of what he plays are his own mixes which, in the most cases, he is probably the only person in possession of...

Originally posted by PFloyd40

*laugh*

i bet 75% of those tracks were his own mixes (since he basically remixes like every track he plays) and not the same thing every other dj has played... all you need to do is listen to his ktu show and its obvious how much of what he plays are his own mixes which, in the most cases, he is probably the only person in possession of...

True- But who wants to hear Darkbeat anymore? Millshake is gettin tired and it's about a month old. This whole thing is gettin tired and I know that I'm one of the biggest yellers in the whole arguement, but the reality is this. JR is going to fail @ SF. And it's going to be a sweeeeet day when it happens. And JR has no "home" and Richard is left with a empty club.....:laugh:

Originally posted by chris817

How many was JP doing on non theme nights?

1,000 to 1,500. Thats at least what was said. Personally I think it was more. I went the week before Halloween and they had about 1,000 there. Then @ Halloween they did almost 6k.... So do the math. Juniors bringing in less people. Less people = Less money. Less money= Buh Bye SF......