Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul Van Dyk SUCKS Live

Everyone has different tastes and variety is a good thing, but I saw Paul van Dyk live for the first time (an ex gf who didn't like van Dyk and assorted obstacles prevented me from ever seeing van Dyk live).

I was in Singapore (yes, the country, not a club) recently for Chinese New Year and he spun in a coll venue that was a club in an abandoned power plant. The music lacked character, he never let it flow for more than 3-4 minutes without breaking the beat or simply interrupting by dropping the sound, and often, these interruptions were to allow him to encourage the crowd to clap for him !?!?!? What the FUCK!?!?! I don't mean clapping with the beat of music, I mean stopping the music and goading people to clap.

Note to those brought up in an environment completely lacking etiquette------when others applaud (or even toast) you, YOU DON"T CLAP FOR YOURSELF, its rude and if there is such little applause that your clapping will contribute to the decibel level, its better to simply politely ignore the applause. FURTHERMORE how weak is it to encourage others to clap for you!?!?!? Please, if people don't spontaneously applaud you, invest your energy on spinning better rather than coercing the crowd to clap for you.

I've heard that he is vehemently anti-drug. I assume the piss poor music is the result of someone who simply doesn't understand the groove without interruption when your ELEMENTS demand such. :mad:

Originally posted by drbabybutt

Everyone has different tastes and variety is a good thing, but I saw Paul van Dyk live for the first time (an ex gf who didn't like van Dyk and assorted obstacles prevented me from ever seeing van Dyk live).

I was in Singapore (yes, the country, not a club) recently for Chinese New Year and he spun in a coll venue that was a club in an abandoned power plant. The music lacked character, he never let it flow for more than 3-4 minutes without breaking the beat or simply interrupting by dropping the sound, and often, these interruptions were to allow him to encourage the crowd to clap for him !?!?!? What the FUCK!?!?! I don't mean clapping with the beat of music, I mean stopping the music and goading people to clap.

Note to those brought up in an environment completely lacking etiquette------when others applaud (or even toast) you, YOU DON"T CLAP FOR YOURSELF, its rude and if there is such little applause that your clapping will contribute to the decibel level, its better to simply politely ignore the applause. FURTHERMORE how weak is it to encourage others to clap for you!?!?!? Please, if people don't spontaneously applaud you, invest your energy on spinning better rather than coercing the crowd to clap for you.

I've heard that he is vehemently anti-drug. I assume the piss poor music is the result of someone who simply doesn't understand the groove without interruption when your ELEMENTS demand such. :mad:

first of all... paul van dyk is pretty decent.. i've seen him spin some ill sets and i've also seen him spin some god awful sets as well.. don't judge a dj by seeing them spin once

second of all... when a dj claps his/her hands he/she isn't clapping for his/herself. 99.9% of the time when a dj claps they are doing it to somebody else's production.. when dj's get down and start going off behind the decks it's just because of the energy and/or intensity of the track.. woudl you rather a dj stand behind the decks like a dead fish?? or would you rather a dj be bouncing all over the place and shit?? mixing records is only part of the performance keep that in mind..

Originally posted by silverbull

heard him 3 times and each one was worse than the other. Havent heard him since i hink 2001 and dont plan on hearing him again. So overrated 40 bucks for him sometimes. Please, when i pay 15bucks for shelter and timmy regisford i leave with 10hrs of pure pleasure.

All a matter of opinion I love Timmy & Shelter great party but on the other hand I've seen Paul Van Dyk tear crowds a new one!

Like the time he spun @ Arc in Oct 02 that was a SICK night!

Originally posted by sobecrobar

Its all about:

1.)Victor Calderone

2.)Steve Lawler

3.)Saeed & Palash

4.)Eric Morillo

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)DT

9.)JP

10.)

11.)

12.)

13.)DJ Boris

14.)

15.)

16.)Ferry C.

88.)

95.)

96.)PVDyk

97.)tiesto

98.)Armin

99.)Sandra C.

100.)

Where did you get this list from?

In my mind the Dj's that you have near the end are the great ones. Steve Lawler is good, but i just dont think he has the energy of the others. Ferry is definitly good aswell.

-billy

Originally posted by sobecrobar

Its all about:

1.)Victor Calderone

2.)Steve Lawler

3.)Saeed & Palash

4.)Eric Morillo

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)DT

9.)JP

10.)

11.)

12.)

13.)DJ Boris

14.)

15.)

16.)Ferry C.

88.)

95.)

96.)PVDyk

97.)tiesto

98.)Armin

99.)Sandra C.

100.)

in other words, did u mean to say u prefer house/tribal to trance? -- ;)

Like the time he spun @ Arc in Oct 02 that was a SICK night!

yea - PVD@arc in nov(i think) '02-- it was a monday nite and i was actually debating if i should go cuz i had work the next day and i just saw him that frid nite...but ended up going - and omg --

probably one of the best parties i've ever been to - complete madness! :spin:

PvD plays some uneven sets....also, it is possible he plays a bit different style in Asia. I've been around and notice the same DJ play quite differently depending on the location (US vs. Germany VS England vs. Italy)

they know best what the particular crowd likes the most

Everyone is entitled to their opnions.

But did you know that PVD was ranked one of the TOP 10 best DJ's in the WORLD. That says a whole lot more then your opinion.

Sorry that my opnion.

Victor Soto

yeah too bad if you caught a bad set...but i'd also say that if you think a dj bringing his / her hands together means they are clapping for themselves then maybe you should hit up a few more sets by various artists before passing judgement.

its hard to say if you like electronic music at all or this was just your first experience and a bad one.

PVD has put out some incredible sets - particularly in terms of matching the energy / flow / mood of the crowd so seems like it was either an off crowd or an off night.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WHAT A FUCKIN IGNORANT THREAD!!

first of all, i just want to give you my comments concerning the last remark that you said....

I've heard that he is vehemently anti-drug. I assume the piss poor music is the result of someone who simply doesn't understand the groove without interruption when your ELEMENTS demand such.

are you dense? since when was it manditory that a dj 'should" do drugs to "understand" the groove? :rolleyes: fuckin idiot!!!! that right there blantantly says that you need to get in touch with your self and your music.......everyone has their opinion and a dj can't certainly make everyone happy! i was not there to hear and see the gig in singapore, but with my own experience with pvd gigs (and i have been to numerous pvd gigs that is) was nothing but pure genious!!!!

i would strongly suggest that you either A: have an open mind or B: take more drugs to get you more in the "groove" :rolleyes:

fuctard:mad: :rolleyes:

and im not even going to go with the clapping comment :laugh:

For reference, I've been listening to great DJs since I first used to go to listen to Junior at Twilo when it first opened. SInce then Danny T, Sasha, Digweed, Carl Cox, blah blah blah through the list of every DJ imaginable except Paul va Dyk. I go clubbing in New York, LA, London, Barcelona, Ibiza, Amsterdam, Beijing, and Hong Kong regularly throughout the year, so I have some frame of reference and experience seeing the DJs people continuously talk about on this board.

Stopping the music and encouraging the crowd to clap (locally,thats sometimes a stupid Junior Vasquez move) is totally weak. Its almost coersive- "I'm not spinning any more music until I hear the crowd applaud and ackknowledge how great I am".

As I mentioned in the original thread, when a DJ plays a killer set, the crowd will applaud and give them their due props, but that kinda love from a crowd is something that a DJ should earn rather than expect.

yeah and as we've said we've never seen PVD stop the music and start clapping...he does that while the track is playing.

if you've seen DT then you've seen the master at stopping the music and clapping, talking, shining lights on people etc. PVD doesn't do anything like that.

That's hysterical that you thought he was clapping for himself. Do you ever see anyone perform live?? Your comments are ridiculous and judgemental and while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, maybe you should choose someone other than one of the top ten dj's in the world to talk about. I think the world's opinion means a little bit more than yours does.

Can't wait til 2-27...