Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The NYC club scene is at an all-time low.

When did the scene in NYC become so bland? Please, someone that was around in the Limelight days of the nineties explain it to me. I was at Babalu this past Saturday and it hit me (I know, I should have known better). I must have been sleepwalking the past few years. Most people blame it on the political envireonment in the city (i.e Bloomberg,and b4 him Guiliani), but every club is so glammed out that I cant take it. I challenge anyone to offer a scene in the city that is not the same old same old. And if Marquee and Cielo (the supposed clubs of the "moment") are all you have, please don't even respond........

yo you dont know shit then buddy sorry for coming off strong. First off I AM ANTI TRENDY BOTTLES AND MODELS SCENE. Anyplace i mention or paRTY at is MUSIC FIRST. So CIELO is GREAT on weds for louie vega, that crowd is not the usual cielo pretty people crowd its mostly house heads who are underdressed and want todance all night long. Mons use to be like that also but not anymore. Musically cielo bring in good djs from time to time but the crowd is SO not what i like but i go anyway cause of the music.

Now so lets talk about tonite WEDS i mentioned on a previous thread 3 parties goin on where the attitude is not welcomed and HOUSEHEADS are. Check them out.

SHELTER on sat/sun is the LAST UNDERGROUND party left its been around 13yrs now. Also it all depends on what your sound is what your reason for goin out are. PM what your into and i will offer some suggestions to ya. But believe me NYC is far from dead you just gotta know who to ask and where to go. HINT STAY AWAY FROM most weekend parties and MEGACLUBS. Also anything that is LABELED HOT, NEW TRENDY are just pretty people eye candy who only go cause ITS HOT.

The scene in NYC isn't at an all time low. You just have a very negative outlook on life.

yeah... what he said.. :)

Seriously though, I'm tired of people complaining about the scene. Get out and enjoy yourself and dance, thats all... i know what you mean about underground clubs, and I do miss certain places, but in time new ones will open up.. Just be happy you have the money and ability to go out and have fun!

yo you dont know shit then buddy sorry for coming off strong. First off I AM ANTI TRENDY BOTTLES AND MODELS SCENE. Anyplace i mention or paRTY at is MUSIC FIRST. So CIELO is GREAT on weds for louie vega, that crowd is not the usual cielo pretty people crowd its mostly house heads who are underdressed and want todance all night long. Mons use to be like that also but not anymore. Musically cielo bring in good djs from time to time but the crowd is SO not what i like but i go anyway cause of the music.

Now so lets talk about tonite WEDS i mentioned on a previous thread 3 parties goin on where the attitude is not welcomed and HOUSEHEADS are. Check them out.

SHELTER on sat/sun is the LAST UNDERGROUND party left its been around 13yrs now. Also it all depends on what your sound is what your reason for goin out are. PM what your into and i will offer some suggestions to ya. But believe me NYC is far from dead you just gotta know who to ask and where to go. HINT STAY AWAY FROM most weekend parties and MEGACLUBS. Also anything that is LABELED HOT, NEW TRENDY are just pretty people eye candy who only go cause ITS HOT.

O.k...im someone who hates the "trendy bottles and models" scene...(very well put btw silverbull) and you've mentioned a couple of places.... so a little help here plz. I am so sick of the stand around with a drink in one hand and throwing your hand in the air to go w/ the hip hop beat w/ the other hand and trying to look pretty scene but I've had trouble finding cool places that AREN'T like that. Avalon is o.k...if you're lucky and find a good DJ is spinning, Spirit is a decent place....too bad I'm not a JP obsessed fan. Where does one go to dance their asses off to good house music and chill out w/ a cool down to earth crowd??? You mentioned Shelter....I"ve heard of it....where is it? Cielo is open on Wednesdays and its cool? God...where have I been...hiding under a rock? Nah....probably just hiding under the table from the glitter crowd in an upscale NYC lounge somewhere! :mad: a little help here plz. If I were to go out to one place each day of the week for an entire week....for those of you that know....what are the best places?

stay away from anywhere u hear someone from NJ is going or anyone who watches MTV...clubs like deep, spirit etc etc all had their 2 months of fame...while ive checked them out and had good times, their shelf life is limited...the real parties where u find the real party people are during the week...u wont find one von dutch hat or any "white rappers" (as i like to refer to them as,) wearing a headband and basketball jersey

Of course you're going to be disappointed if you're thinking that anyone is going to recreate the scene as it was during Limelight's heyday. That club was an icon and it won't ever be replaced. Unfortunately, rampant drug use and other shady business led to its demise, and many other great clubs went down with it. Now club owners are under intense scrutiny from the feds so you aren't going to find guys in angel wings who distribute ecstasy freely or a bloodfeast party or anything like that. Things are much more toned down now a days. But that doesn't mean the club scene is dead; it's just evolving. As others have said, good parties are always going on if you take a second to look. Not everyone can go out during the weekdays (like me) so I miss out on many of them. But I can have a good time whenever/wherever as long as there's good music and I'm with the right people. And there's been lots of good talent around lately (Dumonde, Roger Sanchez, and AVB come to mind). You can't just step into a club and expect the party to come to you, you've gotta make the party.

When did the scene in NYC become so bland? Please, someone that was around in the Limelight days of the nineties explain it to me. I was at Babalu this past Saturday and it hit me (I know, I should have known better). I must have been sleepwalking the past few years. Most people blame it on the political envireonment in the city (i.e Bloomberg,and b4 him Guiliani), but every club is so glammed out that I cant take it. I challenge anyone to offer a scene in the city that is not the same old same old. And if Marquee and Cielo (the supposed clubs of the "moment") are all you have, please don't even respond........

I HAVE TO AGREE 100%!!!

NYC is at an alltime low!

THANKS to Louie Devito at Spirit, I mean...

I was just commenting earlier about this, and I am not even in the city..I am typically an optimistic person, but, I am so happy I didn't stay and die in the city!

NY needs alot of help....

I have lost alot of respect for the scene in NY...

and there is always hope, but, noone is willing to take a chance..everyone is following everybody else...

and with the way it's going, well, good luck...

Such a shame...

:yuck:

ONCE AGAIN IF YOU THINK MEGACLUBS AND WEEKENDS IS WHERE ITS AT, THEN YOUR LOST. Although there are some good small parties on weekends as well. IMgonna give ya what ive been doin all this week OK and then tell me its dead and im also gonna give ya other parties where i wish i couldve been to, and for your info i was workin sat,sun,mon,weds,and again this sat and sun. Work doesnt stope me. This is for someone who asked a weekly schedule so heres MINES THIS WEEK.

MON- SAPPHIRE (now i wouldve also gone to CIELO for francios k but the crowd is not what i like anymore)

TUES- SAPPHIRE,SULLIVAN ROOM, TABLE 50

WEDS- SAPPHIRE, CIELO,OPIUM DEN,TABLE 50

THURS- DISCOTHEQUE, SIN SIN, BRITE BAR

FRI- there to many parties to mention but also i am not goin out i need to rest sometimes.

SAT- CROBAR for ROGER SANCHEZ i am zonig out the crowd and since I KNOW the music will be good idont give a damn. SPILL will also have good music. And of course SHELTER for REAL HOUSEHEADS AND DANCERS.

SUN- JANELA,TEMPLE.

Thats just this week alone, theres so many genres of music played atthese parties: DEEPHOUSE,SOULFUL, HOUSE,TRIBAL, JAZZY TRIBAL, MINIMAL TECHNO, A BIT TECH HOUSE. So theresa bit of everything except TRANCE thank god lol. Every week theres something goin on weeklys or one off events. Shit i should make a website for every party im goin to or recommend weekly lol. AND NO IM NOT A PROMOTER im just spreading my love of HOUSE/DANCE i cant stress that enough. Anybody ever interested in seeing somethig during the week emal me or pm me im more thatwilling to offer some suggestions where i know for sure the music will be great. As for the crowd this is NYC so your bound to have a mix bag sometimes but belive me if i am somewhere it wont be a BOTTLES and MODELS crowd or PRANCER nonDANCER CROWD either.

I completely agree the only party that i have been going to is SHELTER with the legendary Timmy R. or Discotheque Thursdays with Tony Humphries. R.I.P. Twilo, the legendary ARC!!....dont say centro fly is dead because they are reopening under the name B.E.D.

stay away from anywhere u hear someone from NJ is going or anyone who watches MTV...clubs like deep, spirit etc etc all had their 2 months of fame...while ive checked them out and had good times, their shelf life is limited...the real parties where u find the real party people are during the week...u wont find one von dutch hat or any "white rappers" (as i like to refer to them as,) wearing a headband and basketball jersey

well, I have to say, seems like I sparked a bit of, as Prince says, CON-TRO-VER-SY with my original post. Silverbull, to a certain extent, you are right, I dont know shit, which is why I started the post, to get my shit together! I am obviuosly not in the know, but I am reluctant to surf the posts here on CP because of all the promoters hawkin thier own parties. The parties you mentioned in your last post sound good, so I am actually going to print them out and see whats up. I might head over to Crobar tonight for Hookers Ball (probably more for the sights then the music) Unfortunately, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to go out during the week and get up the next day for work. I, know, I am a p*ssy, go on say it. I crunch numbers for a living though, so that and hangovers dont go together well. AND I never said that a few of you got angry at that the scene was "DEAD", that is such a oversued word, and I always have a good time, but I am needing something more. I am a house-head, so anybody has more suggestions, let me know. And Silverbull, you will probably get a PM from me sometime soon, you seem to know the spots.....

-Iumma

Every week theres something goin on weeklys or one off events. Shit i should make a website for every party im goin to or recommend weekly lol. AND NO IM NOT A PROMOTER im just spreading my love of HOUSE/DANCE i cant stress that enough. Anybody ever interested in seeing somethig during the week emal me or pm me im more thatwilling to offer some suggestions where i know for sure the music will be great. .

Thanks Silverbull! Not a bad idea.... I recommend u get to it. I'll be checking out some of the places you mentioned....hopefully I wont be disappointed~! :clap2:

hey housingit i will see ya tonite at disco then. And i find out about all the parties NOT FROM THIS WEBSITE hehe (hope i dont get banned now). And i agree if theres one thing i hate is when somones asks a question all you get is promters pluggin there parties. Just b4 any one of ya do go out to something i mentioned in an earlier post or thread rememer some of them are one off parties or weeklys or bi weeklys so ask first lol. And dont expect a big room madness scene. There small intimate where the music is great and you have space to dance. And are surrounded by sopme house/dance heads especially weds sapphire lol had so much fun last night.

Also diff people enjoy diff things.

I like to hit up a place during the week for just a great musical night but on the TOTAL opposite end I do enjoy the occasional TRENDY party.

Just because you like different things doesnt mean they suck or they are wrong...Its what you like. If we all did go for the same thing this world would be very boring.

Im a person that goes from a SF lover to Korn and Slipknot concerts.

It doesnt matter what anyone says about what you like or do...its how YOU feel about it. If you have to change your ways because of what people think of you then you are fake...to yourself. Know you identity and be cool with it.

Shit...I get bashed for liking JP. You know what...WHO CARES. Its what I like and thats all that counts.

NYC isnt at an all time low. Things change. They have too. Just be happy we still have something. They could easily take it ALL away.

The scene has been low. I come from the late 80's. In the 90's the whole lounge thing started. Thats what killed the scene. Then club owners got greety with money. They started raising prices and not spending the money on entertainment. Then there became such a thing as promoters and sub promoters. Thats crazy. Before you were fab or not fab. Then people went to a club because it was going to be fun .... not soley based upon the DJ. DJ's didn't make thousands of dollars a week. Club owners forget to just make a party fun. Not just book a DJ and forget about the other elements involved. I use to go to Club USA because it was fucking amazing and fun. Hardly didn't know who the DJ was. You just knew you were going to be entertained and the place would be decked out. Parties should be based upon FUN!! Thats the element thats missing. I was also around during the club kid era. Theres no such thing as club kids anymore. You would have to pay someone to dress up now. Lets not say special K helped the zombie scene either. Enough said....