Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bartending Schools??

they are a waste of time really. Spend all the money on bottles and practice serving your friends. If they leave your house w/ out vomiting, then you have done a good job.

no really this job is all about experience and being able to move and mix quick.

I really need to go to a school since I don't know anything about drinks, I don't know any bars/club manager who would give me a shot without any training and I've never worked in the service industry

I really need to go to a school since I don't know anything about drinks, I don't know any bars/club manager who would give me a shot without any training and I've never worked in the service industry

I have seen these schools, they just give you the illusion of behind the bar. If you pick up a book and study the fundamentals, its basically the same. What is the difference between someone telling you what to do and a book telling you what to do? Also peoples tastes are varied, so what may taste "PERFECT" to your instructor may taste like mule anus w/ hot sauce to another person.

you can always about your experience and say you only had a months training somewhere but they closed down ... just my two cents

Hey Ive been in the restaurant industry for 15 years and on one hand, yes bartending school is not what it is cracked up to be as far as job placement. For every 25 servers there are 2 bartenders. However, I did go to bartending school and it does get you comfortable with the drinks and the basic techniques. The number one best thing you can do is know somebody in the business, the second best thing you can do is being willing to start off as a barback as they do a lot of grunt work but make decent cash and sometimes get to bartend a little. So like I said if your going to learn technique then by all means go, but if that schools boasts a strong job placement then they are full of shit. Probably your best way to get started bartending is to bartend as a caterer in the city. Its not too hard aka vodka/tonics, wine pours, cosmos, martinis, etc.

Good luck.

Bartending schools are a joke unless you want something to write on your TGIF application. Anyone can learn how to make a drink, personality and curb appeal are way more important in this business than a bartending school certificate. 90% of the bartenders in the popular clubs didnt go to bartending school. Barback, bus boy, waiter are good starting points...friends with a current bartender/manager/owner of the place you want to work is even better.

I agree with everyone on this post! If you really want to bartend...do NOT waste your money at a "bartending school" (biggest scam going)...beacuse all what they teach you is how to mix colred water. You really need to be in it to make it. Why not start at an old man bar for a couple weeks and learn names of drinks...ie...jack...jaeger.....snake shots....this will prepare you for what is out there........or go to a hotel and cocktail waitress...GREAT experience!!!!!! you learn everything..what fruit goes in what drink....twist goes here....lime goes there..salt here..........honestly if you have a pretty face...NO ONE will care if you know how to make drinks!!!

I wish you luck honey!!! I hope I helped you!!!!!

:clap2:

Anyone know any good bartending schools in Bergen County?

FYI - I went to bartending school and they got me a job right away - I now work at Rhodes tavern Dolcie Novita in Moonachie - Come check me out - The school I went to is called mixem

G - L

FYI - I went to bartending school and they got me a job right away - I now work at Rhodes tavern Dolcie Novita in Moonachie - Come check me out - The school I went to is called mixem

G - L

I saw that school on the net how was it. I hear that Jersey bartending schools are not as good - aren't they all basically the same

I went to bartending school and got a job right away and became head bartender and night manager in 1 yr.

Which one did you go to?

If all these schools teach the same thing, why would graudates of different schools have a hard time finding jobs, while others get jobs quickly??

Authentic bartending they are in paramus and eatontown nj. They have a good job placement program they send you on 5 interviews a week after you graduate. All my friends said I was stupid to go to a school and I should just get a job and learn that way. I think that only works for good looking girls cuz the bar manager wants a few girls to look good behind the bar and like one guy to make a shit load of drinks but my opinion going to school and learning the drinks seeing what the bottles look like and learning how to pour def is helpfull.

I talked to authentic before mix em and they wouldnt give me a price over the phone. I went there and they tried to sell me, then I went to mix em and loved the atmosphere and instructors. I am glad I didnt go to authentic cause they seemed shadey and fake

I talked to authentic before mix em and they wouldnt give me a price over the phone. I went there and they tried to sell me, then I went to mix em and loved the atmosphere and instructors. I am glad I didnt go to authentic cause they seemed shadey and fake

Thats weird cuz I went to the one in eatontown and they were really cool they gave me a price over the phone and were really good teachers

Most places want to train you in house (Like being a broker in Boiler Room). They don't want you poluted with bartending schools crap. You need to be a hot chick or know someone to get your foot in the door... Else get comfortable waiting tables!

Most places want to train you in house (Like being a broker in Boiler Room). They don't want you poluted with bartending schools crap. You need to be a hot chick or know someone to get your foot in the door... Else get comfortable waiting tables!

Most good places want you to have experience if your a guy and will train you if you are a hot chick. "poluted with bartending school crap" huh knowing drink recipes and what bottles look like and feel like doesnt sound bad when

I used to hire new bartenders I either wanted a guy who had experience or went to some school its very annoying teaching from scratch.