Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What do you tip the bartender?

Drinks are expensive in the city, we all know that. But what is your general rule for tipping? I usually buy two drinks at a time, or a round if I'm with a couple friends and usually leave $2 everytime. I'm wondering is this too much? Too little? And what if its a water, what's the tip?

I have been asking myself this for a while...whem I'm out 'workin' I usually get comp drinks, so I will leave anywhere between 2 and $4 each time I'm up there, just cause I'm not paying for it. If I'm out and paying Its usually closer to $2, but I dont know if thats more or less then average....

Bernie

it all depends.....in the city....they rape u with drinks...besides...i stay sober for afterhours...i'll fall asleep otherwise!! at most bars...and extra buck or two for each order...unless it's a big job!....i find that we tip waaay more when we run a tab....probably because the bartender takes care of us all night...

....also...i think it's fucked up not to tip....not everyone can afford to tip generously and that's not the point....but when u work in a field that the majority of income is from tips....u depend on the patrons........anyone in the industry would agree....

Originally posted by pk1

minimum would b $1 a drink even bottled water. This is their job, they don't get hourly rates. Its true though, they do rape u in the city w/ drink prices but not leaving a tip is fuckep up!

yeah thats generally my rule of thumb also... of course if the bartender serves me quickly or hooks me up wiht a lil extra i will be happy to lay down another buck or two

but yeah, if you dont tip, i would suggest you go to another bar or bartender bc the liklihood of them serving you quicly is pretty slim. one trick is to lay down a fat tip at the beginning of the night and they will most likely remember you throughout the evening.

Depends on 2 things...

First off it depends on the buy back. If you are constantly going to the same bar tender and that bartender has enough class to buy you a drink every 3 to 4 drinks then I usually leave more. If the bar tender is a prick and does not buy back then I leave like a buck. If I am at a bar... not a club then I usually have the same bar tender. I will give a dollar a drink... Ever 5th or 6th drink or a round for the friends I will leave a $5. If the bar tender is always on top of me and is quick to refill... Then I will hit him or her off at the end of the night with a $10 or $20 spot...

Also depends on where you are... In the city. You really cant afford to leave large tips. The drinks are way to expensive... plus there are so many bars to choose from that you never really see the same bar tender... So no need to leave to much. Plus just immagine how much money those people pocket. You figure for every third drink they make it seem as though they are giving you a round on the house. and they just pocket the money you are going to use to buy the drink.

Thats just my opinion...

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

$1, as long as the price for water/redbull/gatorade is less than $5...if more...fuck 'em

Fuck 'em as in don't buy it or as in don't leave a tip? Bartenders' just doing their job ya know....if the place is a ripoff then don't drink there. :cool:

tipping is $1 per drink standard. Its not a suggestion and its not optional unless the bartender has done something WRONG.

bartenders dont get paid to be there. the only money they make is their tips. and if you dont tip I can guarantee you it will take them hours to get your next one for you, and it will most likely be watered down.

and the fact that the drinks cost so much has absolutely NOTHING to do with the bartender. They have no say in drink prices and they dont work on comission so taking it out on them is a total dick move.

If you cant afford to drop the dollar you shouldnt drink.

Generally I go with $1 a drink... if I order more then 5 at a time the the tip stands at $5.00

If the server is shitty (rudely so like they saw me and ignored me, or I get attitude) then the tip reflects poor service. If the service is good ( quick, and friendly) I throw down extra cash.

Bottom line... it is your job to serve drinks, treat me like a customer and serve me with a good attiude and you will be rewarded. You slack on your job and there is no reason for me to pay you.

yeah $1/per drink... but I dont' tip for redbull or water... its just them handing me a can/bottle...

My feeling exactly. They just have to hand me the drink and take my money, and then they can quickly move on to the next person. If I'm buying alchohol, though, my tips reflect the quality of service. Always the $1 minimum, but if I feel like I'm getting quality drinks, or they've hooked me up a couple of times, I leave more. I have a friend who's a waitress, and she charged my friends and I $40 for $100 worth of drinks. We left her a $40 tip.

ok well.. i am a bartender and i wanna voice my opinion without being too biased hehe ;)..... ummm well 1st of all, if the service is shitty, and he/she has a bad attitude, then by all means, snub them on a tip cuz they dont deserve it!!! but... when i work, i am ultra-friendly, pay attn to the order so i dont fuck it up :tongue: and depending on the person, how much theyve been ordering, i hook them up on certain things... hook them up with some shots or something... just to make them wanna stay and keep coming back to me... i try to make it fun for them .... and when i go outta my way to accomodate them the best way i can, and they leave me no tip cuz theyre cheap- i get pissed. cuz i dont get paid. i work for tips only. so 1/2 the time i wanna be like "I DONT WORK FOR NOTHING!!!!" but i cant be rude.. even though not leaving a tip is being rude to me. even if its a dollar- its only a dollar for the few times u come up to order drinks, and yea it might add up for u depending on how big of a lush u are lol, but itll add up for me too and ill get a decent nights pay when im done.

think about when u go out to eat somewhere... the waitor/waitress could be horrible and forget shit that u ask for and whatnot- but do u ever walk out of a restaurant without leaving somethinggggg as a tip?? same goes for us bartenders- so help us out :)

Originally posted by hoke

My feeling exactly. They just have to hand me the drink and take my money, and then they can quickly move on to the next person. If I'm buying alchohol, though, my tips reflect the quality of service. Always the $1 minimum, but if I feel like I'm getting quality drinks, or they've hooked me up a couple of times, I leave more. I have a friend who's a waitress, and she charged my friends and I $40 for $100 worth of drinks. We left her a $40 tip.

yeah, I had a bartender charge me single for a double, so i gave him a few $ extra...

$1 per drink is standard.

If you tip $1 per drink, over the course of a night, tips should average 10-15% of your total, which is about right.

For example, a $1 tip on a 6 dollar drink is a 17% tip, but a $1 tip on a $10 drink is 10%. Averaging these two together you have a $2 tip on a $16 total, which is 12%.

If the drink requires mixing skills, such as a margarita, tip $2.

Bartenders know who tips well and who doesn't. And right or wrong, it makes a difference. If you can hear your tip hit the bar, chances are that you're being too cheap.

As a general rule, don't mess with the person who signs your paycheck, cuts your hair, or mixes your drinks. The results are guaranteed to be anything but pleasant.