Clubplanet Nightlife Community

who's better junior vasquez or tony draper?????????????

Residencies and genres of house music aside, Junior Vasquez, stylistically, is unrivaled as a d.j. and producer.

Tony Draper is a fuckin joke, and doesn't even hold a candle to some of the worst local talent that New York has to offer. I can't believe he's still in the scene. His productions are also a joke, and they show how limited his understanding of house music really is.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by silverbull

I was just about to say the same thing. As for that comment about "AT LEAST DRAPER HAS A RESIDENCY" thats kinda ignorant and stupid (sorry) but thats like saying something along the lines of Cheetah being a better club than LIMELIGHT because its still open.

no, you just missed my point- junior had his prime, he was able to pack people into these places...that is no longer the case. Before Earth closed, he was lucky to have a few hundred people come to a place tat holds like 4000!

The masses will always be the deciding factor in how long any DJ is around for - if people still want to hear them and show up they can go on forever (much like JV has for many years) but now a lot of those people are getting out of the scene and the people who are in it dont care for him and that shows in the numbers he was pulling.

Now he's trying to do this whole radio thing and who knows what else- if you ask me i think JV even knows that he demise is iminant and closing in pretty dam quick...

Originally posted by tastyt

This must be some kind of twisted dream... because there's no other logical explanation for what I'm reading here.

Too add to this comment-

I seriously, desperately hope this thread is some sort of sick joke.

Unfortuntaely sometimes all good things must end. I dont know if thast the case right now, but junio is i think 56yrs old right? Maybe its time maybe its not. Only time will tell. It doesnt help though when he only wants to play for a certain crowd.

I dont get what being 56 or even 60 has to with being able to spin records? They are only about 6 oz in weight . You talk like junior is a boxer or something. The guy stands there and mixes records together its not that hard. A 80 year old could do that if his heart is still into the music like junior's is. Earth was packed most every week untill the whole search

thing got out of hand and then people stoped going. Junior is VERY far from done as a dj or a remixer . He is jam packed with work as a remixer and has had 6 number 1 billborad hits in the past 4 months so he is doing pretty good. He has a new cd comming out on virgin records in 2 weeks (his 3rd this year) which will contain 10 of his new remixes. Lets see what else:D He played boston sat. night . This week he will be spining in Brazil then the next night back here in DC. Then he has a huge party on the 27th at ROXY. Then in the fall he will be making history again with yet a new party. and lets not forget his weekly radio show which is doing very well! and as junior says this is only the begining ! also look for the Versace show in milan this month junior is producing all the runway music for Donatella Versace .

as much as junia can be on the bitchy side...

i have to give it to him...he's still doing his thing SO many yrs later and he's doing it well...he's been in the game and has been through all of the clubbing yrs past that none of us will ever experience (back when it was REALLY good)...

his remixes lately have been getting better and better (there was a couple yrs in there where I wasn't digging much of what he was doing) but now he's back on track...

he is one of the reasons I even got into house music...

so let's give credit where credit is due...

and again the comparison to draper is ridiculous.

Originally posted by earthling

I dont get what being 56 or even 60 has to with being able to spin records? They are only about 6 oz in weight . You talk like junior is a boxer or something. The guy stands there and mixes records together its not that hard. A 80 year old could do that if his heart is still into the music like junior's is. Earth was packed most every week untill the whole search

thing got out of hand and then people stoped going. Junior is VERY far from done as a dj or a remixer . He is jam packed w

Originally posted by earthling

thing got out of hand and then people stoped going. Junior is VERY far from done as a dj or a remixer . He is jam packed with work as a remixer and has had 6 number 1 billborad hits in the past 4 months so he is doing pretty good. He has a new cd comming out on virgin records in 2 weeks (his 3rd this year) which will contain 10 of his new remixes. Lets see what else:D He played boston sat. night . This week he will be spining in Brazil then the next night back here in DC. Then he has a huge party on the 27th at ROXY. Then in the fall he will be making history again with yet a new party. and lets not forget his weekly radio show which is doing very well! and as junior says this is only the begining ! also look for the Versace show in milan this month junior is producing all the runway music for Donatella Versace .

earth was not packed and was never as packed as Tony drapers friday night party at exit. As everyone knows exit turned to shit when draper was fired and then was packed again when he returned. case closed. Whos a better dj depends on who you ask and is strictly opinion. As far as putting out cd's....all i can say is Louie Devito. The man is the worst dj ever and he doesnt even make his own compilations because he cant mix. So with that in mind making CD's is a joke because its not live. A real DJ has a loyal following and has held a residency in a major nightclub for over 2 years and both Junior and Draper have accomplished that.

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

so exit is better than twilo now?

interesting....:rolleyes:

so...following the same logic...draper is better than DT?

This is a three line post, and none of it makes sense. 1. Twilo and Exit are both closed, in case you didn't know that...so it's kind of hard for one to be better than the other.....and 2. even if they were still open, which club is better is subjective. :rolleyes:

3. If he thinks Draper is better than DT, than in his eyes he is. You're the one who brought up Junior 'owning' Twilo. If Junior owned Twilo back in the day, Draper owned Exit, as he said. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by zeeker

This is a three line post, and none of it makes sense. 1. Twilo and Exit are both closed, in case you didn't know that...so it's kind of hard for one to be better than the other.....and 2. even if they were still open, which club is better is subjective. :rolleyes:

3. If he thinks Draper is better than DT, than in his eyes he is. You're the one who brought up Junior 'owning' Twilo. If Junior owned Twilo back in the day, Draper owned Exit, as he said. :rolleyes:

cool story hansel

Honestly - i'm not exactly falling all over myself to see either one of them. Not by any means at all.

and to whoever said Junior produces house? uhhhhhh you must have a pretty broad definition of what house is. I suppose in some sense you could call it that, but it's definately a more commercial, more "progressive" brand of house then what i would label house. Maybe his style has changed considerably since I last heard him, I don't really keep up with these kats these days, but... i know a lot of people who would get a little annoyed, and somewhat offended at that idea.

Not to knock on junior though, he's definately good at what he does, i'll give him that. I just think his style has moved out of realm of traditional house classifications.

This post is insane, you are all making me sick even comparing Tony Draper to Junior. Tony Draper spins fast out of control HELL with tons of synths and all that crap! That's techno crap for the ABOVE ground, :rolleyes: Ugh, Junior opened the ORIGINAL Soundfactory, and broke Exit's attendance record on his birthday party

MIND YOU, JUNIORS PARTIES START AT 8AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Junior would spin from 8am till like midnight!

You cannot compare attendance to a party that is run on a Friday night, to an afterhours Sunday afternoon party! Especially since it was like getting molested trying to get in the door anyway, so people stopped going it was all over Junior's boards! So Junior pulled out and will have a new residency at a GOOD club, and watch how all the people come back

Originally posted by sinixstar

Honestly - i'm not exactly falling all over myself to see either one of them. Not by any means at all.

and to whoever said Junior produces house? uhhhhhh you must have a pretty broad definition of what house is. I suppose in some sense you could call it that, but it's definately a more commercial, more "progressive" brand of house then what i would label house. Maybe his style has changed considerably since I last heard him, I don't really keep up with these kats these days, but... i know a lot of people who would get a little annoyed, and somewhat offended at that idea.

Not to knock on junior though, he's definately good at what he does, i'll give him that. I just think his style has moved out of realm of traditional house classifications.

Umm...

junior started out as house and is still doing house I don't know what planet u are from....

and these days there is less of a clear definition (then there has been in the past) of all styles of dance music, house included.

Originally posted by sdeelite

Umm...

junior started out as house and is still doing house I don't know what planet u are from....

and these days there is less of a clear definition (then there has been in the past) of all styles of dance music, house included.

hahahaa - right, all those cheesy club remixes he's done... REAL soulfull house right?

Originally posted by sinixstar

hahahaa - right, all those cheesy club remixes he's done... REAL soulfull house right?

LATIN HOUSE

SOULFUL HOUSE

CHICAGO HOUSE

NY HOUSE

PROGRESSIVE HOUSE

FUNKY HOUSE

DISCO HOUSE

CHEESY/COMMERCIAL HOUSE

HARD HOUSE

DIVA HOUSE

VOCAL HOUSE

TECH HOUSE

I never said he spun soulful house :confused: , but he does spin house...u see how many sub genres there are...and I know there's more I'm forgetting....

Soulful house is NOT the only kind around.

Originally posted by sdeelite

LATIN HOUSE

SOULFUL HOUSE

CHICAGO HOUSE

NY HOUSE

PROGRESSIVE HOUSE

FUNKY HOUSE

DISCO HOUSE

CHEESY/COMMERCIAL HOUSE

HARD HOUSE

DIVA HOUSE

VOCAL HOUSE

TECH HOUSE

I never said he spun soulful house :confused: , but he does spin house...u see how many sub genres there are...and I know there's more I'm forgetting....

Soulful house is NOT the only kind around.

yea, you left off minimal house, deep house, breakbeat house, classic house, and prolly a few more. The only thing i've ever heard him do - that i suppose would even fall under these classifications, is Cheesy/commercial house. Honestly - i look at that shit as it's own seperate entity. A lot of what I hear clubkids talking about, i shove off into it's own seperate category. I'm sorry, but i just don't see it.

also - as for the soulful thing - ALL house is soulful - i mean come on, you're going to sit here and try to lecture me on house, and you didn't even get that? please.

edit: by the way - the "soulful house" and "diva house" categories you put up there - typicly fall under "vocal house". Seeing as it's the vocals that give it that "soulful" or "diva" feel. altho, again - all house is soulful - so that's sort of a redundant classification.