Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC club scene vs. Miami club scene... Which is better and is there a difference?

I just came back from Miami and enjoyed my time down there seeing a good friend of mine. I went to a lounge/club in Coconut Grove called Oxygen, then one night to club Nocturnal and the next to club Space in Miami. The new Space was bigger than the old one. The reason I called it "new" was because the last time I went to Miami I went to the old club Space. Anways they had a nice patio on the roofdeck where you can watch the sun come up and the dj was pretty good. He played a lot of trance. Does anyone know his name? Also saw dj Mauro Picotto that night for the first time and thought he was pretty good. Is his style considered tech/tribal house or progressive house?

Anways getting back to the main point of this thread: I had a conversation with my buddy about both club scenes and he thinks that there is NO difference except for the weather in both cities. He thinks that the Miami club scene is just as good as NYC's. I told him that NYC has a ton of history in regards to the club scene that goes way back. You can think of any year in the past and there would be a plethora of clubs that you can think of right away that were the hot spots to go to during that particular year. I told him that a lot of other cities including Miami have tried to emulate the NYC club scene in past years and fallen short. Or maybe they have caught up? NYC has lost some of it's largest afterhours clubs in past years. My question goes out to those who have experienced the Miami clubscene other than during the WMC. Is there a significant difference between both club scenes? Which one is better and why? What does the other need to do to be as good? Anyone who has a valid opinion feel free and debate away. I just would like to get more feedback so I could argue some more with my buddy and possibly change his opinion!!

To me although I LOVE NYC, there seems to be more drama here and more angry people... In Miami people seem to be more get-go happy people that just want to have fun. Just my opinion from when I went to Miami. Not as many fights and not as many people in such a rush. I didn't hear many complains about anything over there.

I dunno.. I would never live in Miami though, can't stand the hot weather.

I just came back from Miami and enjoyed my time down there seeing a good friend of mine. I went to a lounge/club in Coconut Grove called Oxygen, then one night to club Nocturnal and the next to club Space in Miami. The new Space was bigger than the old one. The reason I called it "new" was because the last time I went to Miami I went to the old club Space. Anways they had a nice patio on the roofdeck where you can watch the sun come up and the dj was pretty good. He played a lot of trance. Does anyone know his name? Also saw dj Mauro Picotto that night for the first time and thought he was pretty good. Is his style considered tech/tribal house or progressive house?

Anways getting back to the main point of this thread: I had a conversation with my buddy about both club scenes and he thinks that there is NO difference except for the weather in both cities. He thinks that the Miami club scene is just as good as NYC's. I told him that NYC has a ton of history in regards to the club scene that goes way back. You can think of any year in the past and there would be a plethora of clubs that you can think of right away that were the hot spots to go to during that particular year. I told him that a lot of other cities including Miami have tried to emulate the NYC club scene in past years and fallen short. Or maybe they have caught up? NYC has lost some of it's largest afterhours clubs in past years. My question goes out to those who have experienced the Miami clubscene other than during the WMC. Is there a significant difference between both club scenes? Which one is better and why? What does the other need to do to be as good? Anyone who has a valid opinion feel free and debate away. I just would like to get more feedback so I could argue some more with my buddy and possibly change his opinion!!

South Beach has more outdoor hot spots/lounges then NYC . Edge: Miami.

South Beach has hotter women, warm weather almost the entire year, beaches 6 blocks from the clubs. Edge: Miami.

South Beach seems to have more tourists in the clubs which is the only negative. Whereas NYC seems to have alot little asian hip hop wanna be gangster dudes : Edge: Miami Tourists over Bruce Li's and their nunchucks.

South Beach plays trance at most Models/Bottles parties. At Butter's Models/Bottles Monday party they play cheesy hip hop. Edge: South Beach

from what i remember of my partying days in miami, the style of music played at the bigger clubs is a little different too. Resident DJ's such as Roland, Ivano Bellini, Cedric Gervais, and Oscar G played a slightly more latin influenced style house, with more laid back (but still sick) tribal beats. You don't really hear the harder JP/Boris type beats there. The crowd is much more European too, not really that many juiceheads either, but equal amounts of silicone :) i absolutely love both scenes, but i give nyc the edge just because its nyc.

hey i was trying to be nice and not put down NYC, but since everyone agrees yea europe is definetly more evolved. I mean even when u turn on european mtv u got music videos from artists as ferry corsten , bureen and eric prydz . You never see that shit here. Thanx to Hip Hop dominant mainstream bullshit and people like Vic Latino who just mock the shit outta nyc nightlife with their so called new yorks hottest dance radio......yea maybe like 2o years ago

thats just my opinion though

from what i remember of my partying days in miami, the style of music played at the bigger clubs is a little different too. Resident DJ's such as Roland, Ivano Bellini, Cedric Gervais, and Oscar G played a slightly more latin influenced style house, with more laid back (but still sick) tribal beats. You don't really hear the harder JP/Boris type beats there. The crowd is much more European too, not really that many juiceheads either, but equal amounts of silicone :) i absolutely love both scenes, but i give nyc the edge just because its nyc.

I have to agree with this. I enjoyed Ivano Bellini's after hour set at Space and a lot of the house was latin influenced. Oscar G is no longer the resident dj at Space, but his house is definitely latin influenced. The women were smokin and there weren't that many juice monkeys either. I wonder where Oscar G spins now? Your description was right on point!! I think NYC is a more complete city than Miami, but there club scene may have caught up because many of NYC's afterhours clubs have taken a hit in recent years!!

I've heard Mansion in Miami is a hot spot too, but I've heard they play more Hip Hop than EDM. Does anyone know if this is the case?

As much as I love NY, I personally think the NY scene can be classified as "Commercial Guido".

-

No offense to anyone please !!!!

-

There is a prettier crowd in Miami

Weather is better

Vibe is better(probably because of the weather)

-

Here in NY we have a few different factions of club sceners:

1. The hipster kids: Go to a motherfucker party and you will see what i mean.

2. The meatheads: Crobar crowd. Big room beats. "Commercial Guido"

3. The rest: The former vinyl/arc crowd, meatpacking crowd, and THE FRENCH

-

NY isnt what is used to be. Maybe Pacha can change that a bit? But I honestly think Miami gets the edge mainly for the weather/beach. At times its like your in Ibiza or Greece.

have not been to miami much since 2000-01

at that time i was in miami 4 months of the year.

i saw djs like oakey, derrick carter, DT & others in miami & nyc.

I far preferred their miami sets & the wild atmosphere in sobe at shadow lounge, space, blue, ultra etc

have not been back since then. lifetime manhattanite & Ive been clubbing here since late 70s

I think nyc actually has a pretty good scene the last couple of years, even in the face of adversity. crobar and spirit book great talent & there are selected smaller parties that are good too, if you know which ones to hit.

giuliani obvs hurt nightlife in nyc.

but weve been fighting back since bloomberg came in & its at a decent level.

but still 10 years ago as better for dance music, and 25 years ago too

yes ive been clubbing since late 70s.

miami was awesome but its too crazy there=- i can handle the ny scene but miami is way way too debauched & hedonistic.

Get back to the topic at hand people. It's between NYC and Miami! Not other cities around the world. Sheesh! Do I have to explain everything to everybody?

Now to answer your question. I'd have to choose NYC over Miami simply because I'm a lot more familiar with NYC. I did visit the Miami club scene once and that was like three years ago during the WMC. I was not at all too impressed but I did have a good time at Crobar in Miami. I went to a few other places but they all rather seemed the same to me after awhile.

I definitely wouldn't put "weather" as a plus in Miami. Sure, 6 months of GREAT weather, followed by the amazonian hot, muggy, rain every day for 2 hours, swim to the club in the humidity days for 6 straight months. I dunno about you, but that is a serious mood swing. If anyone has spent a summer in Miami, you'll know exactly what I'm talkin about.

As an illustration, imagine this:

It's 104 degrees.

100% humidity

Sun is glaring.

Suddenly, it rains.

And I mean RAIN. Thunder, lightning, flash flooding, etc.

30 minutes later, it's sunny again. And a 106 degrees.

having living in nyc the last 2 yrs and having just moved to south beach, there are pros and cons to both scenes....as far as the weather goes miami sucks for about 3-4 months out of the year and even then the nights are still failry cool and there is a beach near by to cool off....summers in nyc are just as bad if not worst....there's not as much as a breeze and it's just as hot and humid and the stench of the trash in the streets and the raunchiness of the subway is just disgusting....other than that there are more parties in nyc and it seems as if there is always something going on any day of the week at many venues...but nyc is also 15 times more populous than miami....there may be parties everyday of the week in miami but it is only at a couple venues each night....on the other thand the venues down in miami are incredible....nikki beach opium space sky bar etc etc but that is bc of the great weather.....bc this is a vacation town the people who come down here to party are always looking to go all out hence the debaucherous atmosphere whenever you go out....this city has a lot of potential and once it starts growing towards the size of nyc itll be no comparison but bc nyc has more people there is always more going on....regardless id still rather be down here for the weather, beach, variety of people week in week out, and the parties that do go on are slamming...my 2 cents

crobar- ny is better than miami

nikki beach-miami is better than AC

hotels like skybay & delano better than the hotel scene in ny like W

weather in miami better

girls im miami are easier to talk to/less attitude

i like the European tourists in Miami

big shows like Tiesto and Van Dyk=more energy in NY/better crowd

Miami more laid back and love the latin influence

in Miami you can walk from place to place easier vicinity

NY is the best city in the world more diversity

apples and oranges sums it up

Go to Miami for vacation/live in NY thats the way to do it

Miami right now has a better nightlife then NYC. back in the 90's limelight, pladdium, old school d-tour Tunnel, Twilo. Now there really isnt anything like it used to be while in Miami it just seems to be growing. Plus in SoBe you can walk to 40+ clubs bars on foot in sunny HOT weather which im starting to miss right now!

Miami got Nicky beach ( which blows the one in AC away) , Pearl, Opium, mansion, Crowbar (which i prefer the one in MIami), nerve, mint,, Miami also has hot parties at hotels like the Deleno. thats all on the beach. Then cocunut grove got like white trash tuesdays and downtown (space).

Plus the strip clubs in MIami are second to none.

To the person that said Crowbar in NYC is better, Did you ever hit up back yard bambi on Mondays. Crowbar in Miami is bigger, more rooms, more freaky.

Music, depends on whose spinning. In miami you gotta find out where the locals go like rain back in the day on tuesdays, place was off the hook , what ever happen to it, closed down last time i was in miami. My boy works for Carefree in MIami so we be pimpin a bently and have mad hook ups when i go down there, maybee thats why i like it so much. Alo Miami isnt as hard to get comped as in NYC