Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Serious Thread: What are 3 things YOU'D change about club scene in NYC?

montbh

No parties with Smartfood popcorn and Cheddar Fries.

Please dont assume what 'scenes' and parties I've been to.. You'd be quite suprised

Yummy cheese fries, hmm dont know of any YET but if i do i will let ya know. As for the scenes will how bout introducing yourself next time we cross paths and lets chat and dance.

And if interested i wanna invite you to a party im thrwoing at SOL on thurs march 2nd called stimulus response.

Heres the thread for the party:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?t=297888

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bring in new unknown talents from around the world.

2. Crowd selection for well dressed people, and keep the punks outside

3. NO Glow-sticks

4. NO dress-less sweaty animals

5. NO overdosed/over-drugged unconscious people. If they are already in, and become that way, throw them out!!! If people want to get recreational, they need to know how to do it with good taste

Overall, keep the experience clean and fun. .

What a great question! I've only been going out for 4 months but this is what I've found (and seeing that these are the non-trance/techno clubs with a complete twist on club personalities and 'hipsters' there could be a few tweaks):

1) People need to stop going out just to be seen and to look as glam as possible. Sure these "club personalities" (most call them 'clubkids') add to the look of the scene but this "ultra-hip" crowd could use a definite infusion of kids that are there just to hear the music and get down to it. I've danced too many nights all by myself alone on the floor with multitudes of clubbers just standing around 'looking cool'.

2) DJ's shouldn't be afraid of playing tunes that aren't right "at this moment". 1st off, if I heard a song that was 10 years old I would flip (so would anyone else who knew what it was). However, most likely, the kids aren't going to know what it is so what difference does it make? To them it's "new" anyways.

3) An overcrowded floor defeats the whole purpose of going out (in my opinion). If you can't move on the dancefloor than what's the use of going out to hear good music if you can't dance to it??? However the club runners are out to make as much money as possible so I don't see this problem ever getting fixed.

It would be nice if NYC had a 'members only' club that catered to those of us who want nothing more then to dance all night long. It'd be nice if someone, somehow, emerged with the ability to make this happen. When the scene isn't run by the almighty dollar then you end up with a scene that blows everything else out of the water.

1. take the people who live in the past, that do nothing but complain how much better it was in "their day" and tell them to live in the present.

2. make the cover lower.

3. take the people that drink "g" like its a poland spring bottle and lock them in the closet for the night, they will not know the diffrence anyway.

It would be nice if NYC had a 'members only' club that catered to those of us who want nothing more then to dance all night long. It'd be nice if someone, somehow, emerged with the ability to make this happen. When the scene isn't run by the almighty dollar then you end up with a scene that blows everything else out of the water.

Go to Shelter.. if you just wanna dance in a member's only eviroment well its the best place and everyone i mean everyone is always dancing to house music all night long from saturday 11 pm till sunday 12 pm beautiful place their moving iit to a new location and this saturday is the closing party at the w39th st spot.

What i would change?In 2005 i went out 2 or 3 times a week for one year, and spent 25000 on clubbin was it worth it?

I love music and have nothing better to do, so i think it as passing time.

ONly a yr thats it, try 4 to 5 times a week for many yrs while having a 2 jobs and a g/f,lol.

1. the crowd: it's not really fair to exclude the 18 year olds, back in the day you remember kids got in all the time. age is just a number. doormen were more picky about who they let it, age wasnt really a factor. as for drugs, there were tons of drugs before they were just different. everyone was on e...too many people these days fucking with retarded drugs at clubs in my opinion (k does NOT make you want to dance...and g---enough said when you look at guido's tryna make circles)

2. i agree about the weekly residency thing. it makes a club feel like home...and creates a vibe..nowadays theres no unity, people bounce around depending on where the talent is.

3. self righteous promotors..who do not care about any scene. the losers in highschool who now bang hot girls because they can let them into a club. I know tons!

yea yea yea i know there's all those smaller places but as for popularity, i think crobar does the best job of any other place, i think it's size makes it feel impersonal sometimes but all in all, great set up

...need more than three...i would say hit the time machine and go back to the early to mid 90s...twilo, club usa, limelight, etc...oh man, we may never see days like that again...

Or the other side of that scene during that era, SOUNDFACTORY b4 twilo, SOUNDFACTORY BAR, VINYL, SHELTER, SAVE THE ROBOTS.

1. NYC needs atleast 1 BIG dirty, dark, huge place like TUNNEL. place where u can get lost and not find your friends for like 3 hours....lol

2. Clubs with more then 1 sideroom, we need rooms for local DJ talent, and different flavors of music.

3. FCUK THE SMOKING LAW.....BRING THE SMOKE BACK!

Already mentionned:

- More weekly/bi-weekly residencies with big Dj's (where's DT?)

- Cheaper entry (how much will DT's birthday be for example? I'd like those $60 become $35)

- Stricter door policy

- Bottles of water going back to 5$ or have a water fountain available (think Twilo)

I know everyone would like a room where half the space isn't taken up by tables, but the fact is those people paying 1500% premiums on bottles of alcohol are the people keeping your clubs open. That's where the money comes from. You just have to accept that as a trade-off for being able to party in top shelf nightclubs.
How come clubs who didn't cater to that 'bottle crowd' --like Twilo, Shelter, Vynil, Arc-- are the one at the top of the quality clubs list of everyone? This is NYC not Vegas. Plus in real nyc clubs people don't sit and get drunk all night (they dance and get high ;)). I don't buy this.
People need to stop going out just to be seen and to look as glam as possible. Sure these "club personalities" (most call them 'clubkids') add to the look of the scene but this "ultra-hip" crowd could use a definite infusion of kids that are there just to hear the music and get down to it. I've danced too many nights all by myself alone on the floor with multitudes of clubbers just standing around 'looking cool'.
I think you're referring to a particular crowd maybe. I agree with you to a certain extend, which leads me to the one thing I'd change in NYC club life:

More cool crowd mixing!

Muscle boys with Cool Straights with House Heads with Drag Queens with Club Kids with Lost Tourists with East Village boys with Fashionistas with .... That for me is the key to a great party (plus the music of course!)

That's also why afterhours were so much fun, less places are open so you end up with an interesting mix of people. I have visions of Body&Soul with so many flavors of NYC nightlife together under one roof ...