Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DEATH AT TWILO?!?!

It was probably that PMA junk. That stuff looks and tastes like E but....you'll be unpleasantly surprised when your body heats up to 104-108 degrees! Then you die. I have an article all about it I can forward to anyone who wants to check it out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by motelsix:

It was probably that PMA junk. That stuff looks and tastes like E but....you'll be unpleasantly surprised when your body heats up to 104-108 degrees! Then you die. I have an article all about it I can forward to anyone who wants to check it out.

Motelsix, can you forward the article to me? i never heard of PMA. Thanks!

Hi all this is my first time posting here, and it's sad to hear about a death at a club. But most of all i am completely shocked at the way some of you have reacted to this whole incident, saying basically "Oh well, his loss, where's the party at this weekend?" What the fuck you assholes!!! Okay yeah if he did od on drugs it is his fault because he chose to take them and maybe he was careless and may be he wasn't, but it doesn't give you the right to just ignore the fact and think about yourself and what's going on next week at the club! People the clubs will always be there and so will the music being spun by PVD and S&D, but that kid won't. Don't you think about what happened, and think to yourselves "hey it could be me next, or shit I'm not messing around anymore?" I have seen people od out in the clubs here in Philly, I've seen them od in the parking lot. You hear they mainly od on K or GHB (mostly) but you never know. I've never heard of anyone od'ing on just E but what if you think your taking E and your really not????? I've had bad shit before, you take your chances everytime you take it, but if your irresponsible and over do it and don't care, then it's your own fucking fault!!!! I know for myself when i do E (once in a while) i start out with a 1/2 or 1 and if it's bad, then i stop and don't take anymore, i want it to be over. Even if it's the best i ever had i never go over more than 2. Because you never know. i have a friend that just can't stop popping the pills, one, 2, 3 at a time within an hours time and we all worry about him and tell him to knock it the fuck off, but he don't listen. When he leaves our side, we don't know what he's doing. SO it's YOU who chooses what to do!!!

Be smart and think about what your doing. This was a horrible tragedy and it sucks, but people you need to stop and look at reality! I don't want to sound like i am preeching and sit here and say stop doing drugs, because it's all on you if you want to. I will say this, think about the kid that died and what happend, and that it could be you if you go over board or just take something you don't know, BE CAREFUL, RELAX, and have fun listening to the music and talking to people! My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this poor man that died.

Just stop and think about reality for once, not who's gonna be spinning this weekend!!!!

Putting in my 2 cents... I just have no compassion for someone over dosing in a club. Your 21! What kinda irresponsible high school immature bull$FG#@ is that? Maybe I'm naive, but I thought clubs were for dancing. Now it seems they are for profiling and mingling.

[This message has been edited by damianm (edited 07-26-2000).]

Hmmm acting as if this is a new thing......

When I worked in the industry a few years ago there were plenty of folks dying club-related deaths, be it from drug overdoses or murder (the latter being the reason I bowed out of the scene and New York all together.) In any case, these places do NOT care if you live or die, as long as you pay their exorbitant cover charges and buy from their house dealers. It's all about profit.

But, alas, the club is only responsible for setting the stage for this tragedy, it was this unfortunate twenty-one year old

who made the fatal decision to take the drug(s). Sadly, the fact remains, this was his his gamble, and it cost him everything. For all of you who go out and dose, drop, or snort..know that each time you partake you are taking an equitable risk, and therefore your own life is taking a spin on the roulette wheel. For those of you using a rebuttal of the persuasion that one has to check the purity of said substances, give me a break. I'm sure you carry around a bunsen burner, beakers, and litmus paper to check every pill you ingest.

Fortunately, it remains that for those of us wise enough not to tamper with our health for the sake of "fun" we should not be made to pay for the mistakes of the sad drugged out masses that infest this scene. We dance all night unaided by chemicals as they pervert and distort the reason we are there: The music. Hats off to you, and dance on.

In response to innuend0 towards the bottom of this chat-posting, I must totally agree with him/her.

I have been attending Twilo parties on and off for over the past two years now, and I must say - Yes, I can see disaster on its way towards the club.

I've had a few conversations and moments with the staff and management there, and again, I too agree that they're are trying to reap the club for whatever it's worth. 35 fucking dollars is a lot of money to get into a sweatbox, fight for your standing ground while being overcharged for alcohol and water. Not that this is a suprise, but this isn't a concert !?? Right?!!! This is a weekend party. A chance to hear some great dance/disco of the 21st century. A chance that yes, there are people who take the risk of taking drugs. Doesn't bother me - I'm not interested in them. I have been going to Twilo to purely listen to the music. And I fear that combined with ridiculous prices, tight and uncomfortable conditions, the native residents of NY/NJ will soon realize that the whole evening is not worth the money or wait. It won't take long before another owner or coordinator within the city begins to provide a different approach to these parties, while at the same time - booking the popular DJ's.

Now I wouldn't call this a complaint, but rather a statement or maybe better, a prediction. Twilo does have some rough spots to work around. Yes, they make a lot of money on a S&D night (somewhere between 40 - 70,000 a night) But they take their risks just like the drug users do. The death of a clubber is not an insignificant event, but rather a terrible and tragic event in their life and those that it effects. Twilo won't be shut down because of the business they run, but because of the risks clubbers take once they've stepped through the front door. Will Twilo change some of the policies? Only if they start losing money -

Will Twilo survive? Only time can tell.

I'm afraid that I must admit, that through the times I've loved listening in front of the DJ booth (when it used to be on the lower level) that now I must stand back and pass on attending Twilo. I remember not to long ago, June this year, Jimmy Van M wasn't even opening for S&D. Some other guy was. Does Twilo think the regulars are stupid? We're are paying too much to be fooled that some American with a goetee and dark hair is Jimmy Van M? This is the abuse of the money and power they have - and I have chosen to put an end to my regular commitment towards the club.

Maybe we should write all the DJ's who frequent the club and ask for their assistance - maybe they can have a few words with the managment. Because they are the key to the Twilo wealth - I just hope they haven't been brainwashed into the money they earn from Twilo - who knows?

Enough already.

Thanks for reading about what I had to say.

[This message has been edited by rschnabel (edited 07-27-2000).]

Originally posted by clubprincess:

"PVD slammed the dancefloor anywhere he wanted to...

At one point in the night, the crowd spread out a bit and I thought there was a fight, then this fat bastard was stumbling around precariously and grabbing at the air, then he fell on his ass, then it took 3 bouncers, one of my boys and some other dude a while to lift him up and drag him out of the club.

He seemed older than 21, though. I wonder how many people get carried out of that place on a hot (hot=slamming and hot=temperature) night."

CHARRAILS:ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? THIS KID IS DEAD! THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY??HOW DARE U BE SO TASTELESS TO SAY SOMTHING LIKE THAT ABOUT SOMEBODY WHO DIED! DON'T YOU HAVE ANY HEART?? PEOPLE LIKE U NEED TO GET OUT OF THE CLUB SCENE..HOW WOULD U FEEL IS IT WERE U WHO DIED & SOMEBODY SAID THAT ABOUT YOU?GRANTEDED SO YOU DIDN'T KNOW HIM.. WELL SOMEBODY DID & SOMEBODY CARED ALOT ABOUT HIM OUT OF RESPECT..U NEED TO CHECK UR MORALS

Check my morals? - What the hell do you want me to do? everyone is being all righteous and meanwhile you're all going out this weekend...

Do you think this guys mom is reading this website and I offended her? I'm getting sick of people attacking everyone on this topic for saying anything besides "I feel bad, etc" ITS CALLED A DISCUSSION - that means we're aloud to talk about different sides of the story. So I'm saying I saw this guy and I'm wondering if he was the one who died. While you were dancing, I was helping get this guy to fresh air, so don't act like you know what type of person I am to say I should get out of the scene.... You don't know if i'm a juicehead who beats people up for drugs or a club princess like yourself, or the nicest guy on earth...

AND we don't know that this guy didn't drop 6 different pills, sniff mad K and coke and drink a half a bottle of whiskey. We're just speculating and talking about what may have happened. I guess when I first wrote that, which was the next day and I was curious if the guy I saw was the guy who died, I didn't realize this was a test of character, I just wanted to know if that was the guy, cuz it's fucked up that he died in our arms.... I'm not discounting his life, I just think half these people who are acting so morally correct are hypocritical, and we should be able to talk about all sides of the story. If we find out he took just one bomb, then I'll be scared to drop and know it could have been me, and if we find out he dropped 5 bombs and sniffed 2 bottles of K, then I'll say he was stupid, but don't pass judgement on me - either way I feel bad for him, but I'm not gonna lie and say I pray for him at night.... cuz which one of you guys does?

hey there folks,

i have to agree with charrails here...

we all make choices to do things in our live.

how it affects us we can't really tell for sure. which ever path this cat chose... hey we will never know. but it was his choice. i think all of you people should ease up. this kind of shit has been going on for a loooong freakin time none of us are ever gonna single-handedly change it. so why is everyone freakin out on this. did you all know him? i bet not.

but yer all so quick to take his side...defend a person who is not around anymore(sadly) to defend himself. maybe he is happier... who the hell knows. and for all ya jerks high on your freakin morals ready to lash into me lets get to it. i've lost many people in my life. old and young, friends and direct family.if its drugs,booze,bad health...whatever when its our time its our time. a friend i knew died on drugs the morning of his b-day. thanksgiving day as a matter of fact. died in a friends house sleeping while his friends and family were all out on thanksgiving day. his friends (my friends) left him to sleep after clubbing all night. yes drugs was involved but ya know what.. a month later i was trying that crap e!

what a waste to say the least. and i have done my fair share of drugs... and lots of. no one has ever forced me to do any of it. hmmm strange isn't it i'm like the only one right...everybody else here and at the clubs is being tied down in the back some where forced to take the shit right right... please people lighten up...

and i'll say it too i hope this doesn't effect

sasha and digweed. i've never been before and i want to go.

Perhaps some of you people are right. The death of this young man is a horrible thing and he should be respected and rest in peace. But, just because one guy either couldn't handle his drugs or took a bad pill doesn't mean that this ellusive scene should end for everyone. Words of wisdom: If u don't know what it will do to u, don't take it.

I highly doubt that anything I can post will calm the impassioned minds in this ring. Nor would I want to. Free thought and expression is what keeps the dance culture alive and growing.

I would like to bring to the table a few notes worth mentioning:

1. MDMA is a difficult drug to overdose on, as it would take nearly 14 pure tablets to kill a 200 (avg.) Lb. Individual. Please do not be mistaken, IT CAN HAPPEN. Most cases of MDMA related death are from either combining other substances with MDMA (Ketamine, DXM, DOB, etc.), heat stroke, or most frequently from Water Toxification (the brain swells and hemorrhages inducing a coma).

2. Every individual is responsible for his or her own actions. Each of us is responsible to educate ourselves on what we put in our bodies. For those who choose to ingest outside substance…BE SMART, BE SAFE, KNOW THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS AND DANGERS OF YOUR ACTIONS. As friends interacting socially, we must also assume some responsibility for the actions of our companions. Simply educate yourself. Know what your friends are taking, know how much, know the effects and side-effects of the substance.

3. Albeit premature, not knowing the complete findings of the autopsy, I would venture to say that the poor your man who passed on that fateful Friday night MIGHT have been saved if immediate steps were taken to counteract the effects of the drugs/heat/water. If the young man was suffering brain swelling, he should not have been moved without a backboard and neck brace (more bleeding of the brain occurs from movement). If the young man was suffering from water toxification (causes above brain swelling), a catheter should have been inserted AT THE SCENE to reduce the amount of water in the body. If the young man was suffering from a bad chemical combination of drugs, NARCON should have been administered at the scene. Do you see where this is going? If someone can he have been saved from a possible MDMA fatality, early reaction is crucial.

4. No this tragedy is not the fault of the establishment, or the music, or the people who enjoy the two. This tragedy is due to lack of education on the part of everyone involved. The City will blame the establishment as a political scapegoat, and probably levy sanctions against the club. What can be done to rectify???

Sorry to be so long winded.

For more information on MDMA and other drugs (including “Bad and Good†pills) see the following

Dancesafe.org or for those with “corporate firewalls†join my Yahoo! Club DanceRavePartySafe.

BE SAFE

Bobby Zee

I am getting a little confused by all of you. From what I heard, that kid died on Saturday night and PVD was spinning on friday night. I'm not sure, but either way...I just want to say that this whole incident is kinda giving me the creeps. I love Twilo, I think it's an awesome clubs and it feels really good to go there on the weekends and let myself loose. With what have happened, I know that everytime I walk into those doors again, I'll get the eerie feeling of death. I'm not saying that I won't go there again, it's just too hard to never step in there. It can be a constant reminder to me and all of you what have happened to someone and can happen to you.

I've read the bickering between you ppl about drugs and how some ppl are inconsiderate, I just think we are all entitled to speak our mind and no one should be judged of what's said. I, myself don't like to drop at clubs...and had great times (much better than when I was high). I just hope that Twilo can get a break from all of this and us clubbers can continue what we love best, but with caution in the future.

P.S. I'm also looking forward to going on friday night for S & D

BEEN READING THE BOARD FOR A WHILE NOW BUT THIS IS MY FIRST POST. THERE IS SO MUCH EMOTION BEHIND ON THE BOARD REGARDING THE DEATH AT TWILO. WHY DON'T WE TAKE THE EMOTION AND ENERGY INTO THE CLUB AND MAKE A NIGHT OF LOVE PEACE AND HAPPINESSS. TO EACH THEIR OWN WHETHER IT INCLUDES DRUGS OR NOT...WE ARE ALL THERE FOR THE SAME THING, BEAUTIFUL MUSIC AND BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE...SHINE ON ME.

I for one am not saying that we should all pray for this guy at night and not go out this weekend in memory of this guy, or even refrain from indulging...what pisses me off big time is the attitude of some people - their ONLY response to this news being 'oh my God, that means NO Sasha & Digweed this weekend', or 'Now Guliani's going to crack down on clubs harder than ever', or even 'damn...cuz of this dude, we're all getting a bad name'. All that was needed was a LITTLE bit of compassion, not complete indifference - or maybe this is confirmation that PLUR really is dead.

Peace

you don't do extasy at Twilo on a Friday. anyone who thinks they can get luvved up at an unfriendly place like that is a wanker.

it ain't like clubbing in the UK in 1990, when clubbing was still for the clued up. nowadays every tom, dick and jimmy dean thinks they can be a part of something. bollocks. door people should be smart enough to spot the rookies and tell 'em, "sorry lads and lasses, not tonight".

So let me see if I get your point. We should feel nothing but compassion and sympathy for what happened and to hell with what perhaps people may have been looking forward to for a bit of time. Listen I absolutley hate when I have to pay for the mistakes of others. Remember in grammar or high school when you'd get a punish assignment when little troublesome Joe Blow got in trouble? Well this would be the club version if because of the young man who passed we all had to suffer. I feel bad for what happened to him and I don't wish it to happen to anyone regardless if I know them or not. But and this may sound heartless...I refuse...absolutely fucking refuse to allow what happened last Friday to affect what I plan to do this Friday which is enjoy MY drug...S&D at Twilo. And I'd been fucking pissed if I wound up having a boring fucking weekend if shit got closed or canned because of last week's tragedy. And to agree with Charrails...This is a fucking discussion board..not an open arena to attack people's characters. I mean for Christ sakes...alot of you act as if you knew the guy personally.

A tragedy happened and it is damn sad. And no one wishes it to happen again. But come on...let's keep going on with our lives! And if that means partying hard or just relaxing, you do what ever you damn well please.

------------------

Double-Down

It is not death if you refuse it...

The Crow (The original graphic novel)

[This message has been edited by doubledown11 (edited 07-26-2000).]

this past friday was my first PVD experience and it was orgazmic - his music is so intence it was awesome. it's a shame that people feel the need to do E to have a good time adn even more of a shame that there are such heartless fucks out there that have no compassion for other human beings and only care about if the show will go on.

• 3 weeks later...

It sucks that someone lost there life, but we all take risks when we decide to do drugs. We know we can go out one night and never come home. If you dont realize that then you shouldnt being doing drugs in the first place.

------------------

~*P*L*U*R*~

Four Simple Words To Live By....

To hear about what happened to him is extremely sad and emotionally disturbing.

I was there (in the back corner) and didn't even realize that anything had happened that night until almost a week later when someone told me. My deepest condolences go to his friends and family.

This issue at hand is much bigger than just this one situation.

We are slowly killing ourselves by doing what we do. It may not seem dramatic, but what is going to happen to us in 10, 20, 30 years-- if we are fortunate to make it that long? I have been taking for about 6 years and can only start to see how braindead I am becoming. I always thought that moderation was the key (i never wanted to feel f*cked up, just awake) but even moderation seems to be evil.

Not to mention how psychotic and depressed you become for at least the first week or two after you use? Aren't you tired of feeling sick all the time, after a weekend or night out? I am not telling people to stop doing it only to think about the fact that the consequences of our actions down the road may not be worth the 6 hours of fun.

And we are rapidly destroying our own scene. I went to Twilo again two weeks ago, and in addition to the huge sign above the cash registers stating that there are undercover cops inside (obviously), the male bouncers were looking over the stalls in the girls bathroom to make sure that the girls were only using the stall for what it was intended. And a friend of mine was in the mens' bathroom and was told on the spot to empty out his pockets. If this is what it takes to keep this club open, then I think it should be shut down until we can find a better and smarter way to hear our favorite European DJS.

And if you have any respect for humanity, think about what you are doing to yourself and be aware of its consequences (both known and unknown.) I keep thinking about how my family and friends would feel if they heard the news that I had taken drugs and died. Or if I find out I have a serious illness in the future that was caused by the stupidity of my youth?

If you are truly interested in the music like you say you are, you can always sleep before you go out so you don't need to use anything to keep you awake.

I want to find the Twilo from four years ago, back when everyone was happy, the music was amazing, you could walk around without stepping on anyone's feet, and the people around you were alive (not the lifeless drugged-up zombies you see today)... but that doesn't seem likely until the next big thing comes along and the whole cycle starts again.

I can only hope you wish the same...