Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Awkward silences...

havokk

What is your technique for dealing with awkward silences? Sometimes if you're chatting with someone you've just met at a party or anywhere else and the conversation runs dry do you just politely end the conversation or do you start babbling on to fill the silence? I was talking to a girl once at a wedding and she was trying to concentrate so hard on making small talk that she was literally squinting and looking off into the distance, trying to wrack her brain for something to say. Don't you just love mindless small talk with strangers you have no interest in?

usually u if that hapens then its prob not gonna get any further, atleast that what happeed to me, but me and dar didnt shut up when we hung out alone, we are too damn goofy

What is your technique for dealing with awkward silences? Sometimes if you're chatting with someone you've just met at a party or anywhere else and the conversation runs dry do you just politely end the conversation or do you start babbling on to fill the silence? I was talking to a girl once at a wedding and she was trying to concentrate so hard on making small talk that she was literally squinting and looking off into the distance, trying to wrack her brain for something to say. Don't you just love mindless small talk with strangers you have no interest in?

What is your technique for dealing with awkward silences?

I was talking to a girl once at a wedding and she was trying to concentrate so hard on making small talk that she was literally squinting and looking off into the distance, trying to wrack her brain for something to say. Don't you just love mindless small talk with strangers you have no interest in?

:bounce:

maybe ima dick but if i ain't got shit to say, or they look constipated throughout the conversation...

i just walk away... why would you apologze or even care, if they're boring...

just break the fuck out...

when they get home they'll think of somethin to say... :biggrin:

i say "i hate awkward silence..." if it happends three times in one sitting... dont bother speaking anymore...

i think some people u just have to work through their barrier, and once u do that they wont shut up, cuz ur probably one of the few people that they talk too....and some other people u just dont have that connection, and never will!!!!!!!!:D

:aright: I agree - I'm actually really shy - and have just begun to challenge myself to break away from being that way. I used to be told that I gave off an aura of being very unapproachable - hmm - hope I've changed.

i say "i hate awkward silence..." if it happends three times in one sitting... dont bother speaking anymore...

At that point you start checking out the waitress, hostess, bartender, mexicans washing dishes, whoever. But make it obvious. Once she notices what you are doing she'll want to leave or will def. think of something to say real quick.

When conversation flows, great... but if the conversation is one sided or you are forcing conversation.... give up the fight. At least live to talk another day. Any girl that continues to try to force conversation just pisses me off further. It's like "can't you take a f8en hint?"

:rolleyes:

for real... empty convos or forced convos are prolly one of the worst parts of going on dates... oh man, especially if the person speaks in a dry, monotonous tone like ben stein or something... holy, a while ago i met this girl, and every forty seconds i had to start a new topic, she would answer shit in like one word answers or like half sentences... horrible...

Yeah, if it happens at a party with someone I just met, as you asked, I will either:

1) Ask them questions about themself, or

2) Excuse myself to get a drink or go to the restroom, or something like that.

yeah, I usually use those approaches. There have been times I felt like I was interviewing someone, it was like pulling teeth trying to have a decent conversation with them. Most times I'll just say I have to go to the washroom then avoid them the rest of the night.

yeah, I usually use those approaches. There have been times I felt like I was interviewing someone, it was like pulling teeth trying to have a decent conversation with them. Most times I'll just say I have to go to the washroom then avoid them the rest of the night.

lol yeah...sometimes it really feels like you're interviewing them when they keep giving really short answers but in a friendly way heheh...