Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior Vasquez

Nothing better than working AC in the club during the summer.

Thank you to those of you are as excited about the party as we are. We're putting tons of work into this one, including DEMANDING that the building's owner check the HVAC system (!) with a rep from JVAC inspecting all the while. Tickets are FLLLLYING like it's 1996, so get yours before the powers-that-be raised the ticket prices yet again. Harrrrumph...

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 Years of Arena

list_element_1_4776.jpg

adimage.php?filename=arena_062307_1_540x440.jpg&contenttype=jpeg

list_element_4_4776.jpg

51% Sweet-Heart: Junior Vasquez Re-Opens Roxy for Special Pride Event

by Jake Resnicow

EDGE New York City Contributor

Friday Jun 15, 2007

On Saturday, June 23, Junior Vasquez will be turning it out at the space formerly known as the Roxy for an event called "10 Years of Arena." For those who did not have the chance to attend Junior’s Arena parties at the Palladium, this event will allow them to experience a truly great phenomenon once more, and will set the bar for the future.

Too much city

"Too much city" is an expression used to describe people who are not content to live in the small town that raised them. As a young man, Junior Vasquez definitely had too much city.

Born Donald Mattern and raised in Lancaster, Pennsylvania (hometown of our own closeted President James Buchanan), he couldn’t get out of there fast enough. A significant number of Manhattanites and closeted DC politicians share this same migratory impulse.

But leaving one’s roots and comfort zones, no matter how suffocating they might be, takes guts. One cannot remain Lancasterian in NYC for long. An extreme makeover is necessary for basic survival.

Donald Mattern became Junior Vasquez. The new name alone speaks volumes about its owner; the former Donald is not a tall man. The name "Junior" takes what others might consider to be a defect and parades it shamelessly, daring people to make something of it. Tattoos and lots of muscle (both traits which Junior still possesses in abundance) marked his rebirth as a butch bulldog of a man: sexy, intimidating, not to be fucked with. "Vasquez," the name he borrowed from a close friend, was not exactly a name that Anglos in the 1970s were quick to adopt. In terms of rebirth, however, it would contribute to a more complete transformation.

Complementing his tough exterior, the brand-new New York City boy possessed a mind that was keen on aesthetic expression. He learned design and hairdressing. Both skills were placed on hold, however, when he discovered vinyl records and the Paradise Garage.

Junior was fortunate enough to have witnessed the magic of DJs Shep Pettibone and Larry Levan (who also changed his name). Vasquez cut his musical teeth in the Paradise Garage, a Gay men’s club dedicated to music and dance, period. If you wanted to engage in S&M (Stand and Model) or lots of public sex, the Garage was not for you. It was the preferred space for queer men of color, for voguers, for anyone whose spirituality and fierceness were evoked on the dance floor by the divinely inspired DJ-as-spiritual-guide.

Junior continued Larry Levan’s tradition of innovation, showmanship, and drama. Like Larry, Junior designed his own sound system (JVS) and became a recognized trend-setter in dance music. Record labels and artists wanted him to play their songs so that the rest of the club scene would pay attention to them. Other DJs would go to his performances, hoping to learn from his astute choice of music and his constant cross-references to music as he would tease his audience, giving them snippets of a song, playing portions of the original, and then hitting them with a new Vasquez remix later in the set.

Turn 'em out, throw 'em out

The phrase "turn it out" originally came from the courtly dancing of French kings. The instep of the foot was considered to be the most elegant part of the body. When dancing, it was important to turn the foot out and elegantly display the instep.

It was during his residency at the Sound Factory, Palladium, and Twilo that Junior gained a reputation as a man who could turn it out, both in terms of his remixes and his DJ sets.

This was also the time when Junior developed his own brand of hissy-fit. The same foot that turns it out can also give people the boot. And when Junior booted you, everyone knew it. The music would stop and the houselights would shine like a police raid on the crowd. Not until Junior got word from the staff that the offensive party was out in the streets would he put the music back on.

Keep in mind that this occurred in a rather large space that was probably packed to the gills. The "walk of shame" endured by the unfortunate recipient of Junior’s ire could take as long as 10 minutes from the dance floor to the door.

As horrible as this behavior on the part of Junior may sound, it should also be noted that the people he threw out were (or would become) major players in the club scene, including his manager, Jerome Farley, who was banished multiple times. Today, the walk of shame is perversely a badge of distinction. Junior didn’t throw out just anybody.

From Golden Age to Dark Age

Junior considers himself to have been at his best in 1996 and 1997. He had remixed songs for artists like Elton John, the Beatles, Ricky Lee Jones, and Dolly Parton, turning out records deemed out-of-date by refashioning them into dance music anthems. Imagine 18-year-old club kids rushing to Manhattan music stores like 8-Ball and requesting his remix of "Peace Train," a Dolly Parton remake of a song by Cat Stevens!

This is also the Golden Age of the Circuit and the underground dance scene, before the dark clouds of GHB drenched us in fall-outs and the crystal meth-induced negativity raised its ugly hyper-aware head. There was an expansion of who could be considered "in" at Junior’s parties as Chelsea Gay boys mingled with "bridge-and-tunnel" Straights, when various Vogue Houses paraded their stuff to the delight of everyone. Sure, it was not a completely happy family. But most of the "real people" who were there to see Junior at his best (and avoid obnoxious drunks) would arrive at sunrise. This Smart Set included future DJ stars Victor Calderone, Razor and Guido, and That Kid Chris, all of them B&T Straight boys.

Not at all happy with the post-1997 dance scene and the prevalence of wildly irresponsible drug use, Junior struggled for years with the crowd and with himself to purge both of the disastrous effects of too much Gina and Tina. As with many of us, he watched our beloved dance community fall apart as thousands of participants endangered their own lives and our way of life by selfishly swirling out on G and attracting the unwanted attention of city officials, EMT services, and the police. Too many crystal tweakers spat out their rage at DJs, who were often forced to limit much of the music to mindless throbbing that would fit the expectations of zombies who had been up (or would be up) for 72 hours.

Partying like it's 1997

Today, we have a more responsible scene and a sober Junior, both testaments to the healing power of music, the triumph of joy over selfishness and spite, and the possibility of rebirth for those of us who give a damn about what we hold sacred.

2007 is Junior’s biggest year for remixes--he is in demand more than ever. He also has a new confidence in himself, perhaps from his own self-mastery, thus no need for unnecessary drama or the walk of shame. To slightly paraphrase Faithless, enemies become friends when bitterness ends.

10 Years of Arena: Pride NYC Special Event

Come June 23, this special event is a return to the Golden Age, not just in terms of wistful nostalgia, but also our own return to basic Circuit and underground music values. This party is a sign of the times. Most of us are better informed and better behaved. Junior’s rebirth resonates with our own resurrection.

Expect him to play many reminders from the Golden Age, but see in his performance (and his new stuff) the dawn of a new Age of Reason. I honestly don’t think we’ve seen the best of the man, not yet.

There are rumored appearances by Angelique Kidjo, Peter Gabriel, and the real Dolly Parton. Like the classic Arena parties, there will be rows of bright lights and LCD screen projections. In re-opening Roxy, manager Jerome Farley notes, "This was a space I could do whatever I wanted with, without someone else putting restrictions on us... I can’t compete with the other bigroom events, but this is something different."

One unique twist to the evening: Attendees can recieve one of several gold-sealed, individually-signed invitations from Junior to a special invite-only closing party at SOL on Monday afternoon. "We still have the last word, the last dance," says Farley. "Junior owes a lot to his fans." Indeed, this will be a free party to all invitees.

One more thing could make the joy complete. As Junior says, "Now if only Madonna would finally call again..."

--

Photography is courtesy of Fleter Gensamer.

For more information, visit JuniorVasquezMusic.com

Jake Resnicow is EDGE’s National Circuit Editor. He also is a regular contributor to the Nightlife, Fashion, and Travel sections. He may be reached via e-mail at jaker@edgepublications.com.

Most of the djs we dance to are old and washed up. Some have been in the business for many many years but are now the trendy dj to hear.

The only very young blood professional djs are the Martinez Brothers otherwise everyone else is old, but that don't bother me. My ears are open.

Yup but on Saturday, the same hours as Victor Calderone's Gay Pride gig!

Seems like Junior's ARENA gig is currently the official Last Dance party at the Roxy.

I read that your spot Pacha ( I think that's your spot) is having a Cafe Con Leche reunion on Saturday. I'll try to check it out before heading to Chelsea for the other gigs.

arena2007ep5.jpg

Most of the djs we dance to are old and washed up. Some have been in the business for many many years but are now the trendy dj to hear.

The only very young blood professional djs are the Martinez Brothers otherwise everyone else is old, but that don't bother me. My ears are open.

seriously.

Hahahahaha..lies and more lies!

Rosalie..the Roxy owner's sister told me they didn't even sell 100 tickets so far.....hahahaha

Who are you and why are you spreading rumors? Rosalie is long gone, she is not even in the city anymore, and besides, the club has new owners now!

I heard the tickets are selling like crazy, it will be THE party to remember!

Who are you and why are you spreading rumors? Rosalie is long gone, she is not even in the city anymore, and besides, the club has new owners now!

I heard the tickets are selling like crazy, it will be THE party to remember!

cuz donald is a LIAR...like we didnt already know that he is quack.sooo go on donald spread some more of your lying made up bullshit.i wanna see u crash and burn and by the looks of it sweetie your well on you're way

I doubt the AC will work that night despite what Mr. Farley posted. It might work in the begginnig, but once it gets busy, it will be hot as hell.

True, BODY HEAT is stronger than AC, when everyone is partying hard in da club!

so is there like a Roxy closing party every week now? :confused:

:funny:

Some of the promoters only call it the 18th St Club by 10th Ave.

Good one 22, I haven't heard about any parties there recently except JR's, I guess it's for rent until whoever starts knocking it down for the Condos.

arena2007ep5.jpg

:type: I'm not gay, but this is interesting to read and the drug (meth) section is in our straight social life also.

June 2007 article in NYMag

Junior Vasquez talks directly to his gay followers before this recent past Pride Weekend

&

Loves Cher, Will Pass on Cyndi Lauper

22_junior_lg.jpg

Junior Vasquez at last year's GLAAD Media Awards.

Photo: Patrick McMullan

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/06/junior_vasquez_loves_cher_will_pass_on_cyndi_lauper.html

It's New York's 38th Gay Pride celebration this weekend, and even though the official dance is the one held on Pier 54 Sunday night, we thought we'd highlight a certain twelve-hour thump-a-thon occurring the night before. Why?Not only will it be one of the last big nights at that venerable gay mecca, the Roxy, before the structure is torn down next month, it'll also be presided over by perhaps the biggest D.J. in Gotham history, Junior Vasquez, 57, who just happens to be a big old queen. Tim Murphy talked with Vasquez about the merits of Cher over Cyndi Lauper, today's gay whippersnappers, and how you stay up all night when you're no longer on crystal meth.

You've had a reputation for years as an impossible diva. Do you deserve it?

I wasn't like that in my personal life. I'm very private and introverted. I like to stay home and decorate my house. I just bought a full-floor space one block south of Union Square. But when I'm working, I need to be in control. I treat it as though everyone there is coming for me. And I've outlived every person who's ever announced themselves as the next Junior Vasquez. Like Peter Rauhofer.

You've worked with a list of divas that reads like a gay wet dream. Madonna, Dolly Parton, Whitney Houston, on and on. Who was the sweetest?

Cher. She's soft-spoken, respectful, looks you in the eye when she talks to you. I was working with her when she found out that Sonny died. She broke down. A total collapse.

And the biggest nightmare?

Cyndi Lauper and I are great friends and I think she's immensely talented, but she's a control freak with bizarre ideas. She's a royal pain in the ass to work with.

Crystal meth really messed you up a few years ago, but you say you've been off it for two and a half years now. What's your Gay Pride public service message to the kiddies?

Don't touch that shit. It'll suck your soul and ruin your life, and it'll take years to get it back. These [gay] kids today, it almost disgusts me — they don't recognize all the things we've fought for for them.

How will you make it through this twelve-hour set Saturday night? Any Red Bulls?

I can't do them so much anymore. Maybe one in the morning. Or half a beer in the last two hours.

2007 Pride Weekend Guide [NYM]

Whatzzup Clinton,

I'm no one special with the JVM camp to request that, but I would like to see more postings of Junior's XM shows as well. JVM/XM's mp3s of the Jr's World XM shows are a better quality than the ones I tried to retrieve. Anyway I'm just a club fan Tristate partier spreading the word for the Junior fans and the Junior haters.

:type:

Jr's Booth Playlist Date: 7/1/07

1 Demarko! - Turning It

2 Billy Steele - What?!

3 Mick Jagger - Charmed Life

4 Amuka - My Man

5 Angelique Kidjo feat Peter Gabriel - Salala

6 Angelique Kidjo - Arouna

7 Gym Class Heroes - Clothes Off

8 Tim Rex - Alive

9 Kelly Rowland - Ghetto

http://www.juniorvasquezmusic.com/booth/

We hate the Ghetto, but get turned on from the sexiness of the Ghettoness.