Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Morillo Review

well its 8 am and just got in...you've gotta excuse me if i dont make much sense b/c i havent had sleep in 25 hours, and my ears are ringing pretty bad...

started off my night at Mission on Bowery...i came too late for the open bar from 10-11 but oh well...Indulge is def a cool party to check out...dj's Boy Bangkok and Jackie Christie were great...small dancefloor, ok lighting, but a tight soundsystem and GREAT staff...and a very cool crowd! nice meeting you Mask and Alan (?)...your guys moves put me to shame...

so anyway Morillo @ Crobar, this is what you want to hear about...we show up around 2:30 with a decent sized line outside... this pimped out white Range Rover pulls up right in front of Crobar and blocks traffic for like 10 minutes...the driver is trying to make like a 20 point turn to parallel park...who's behind the wheel? none other than the rapper Ja Rule...and he was fuckin twisted, he had this big dopey smile on his face as he tried to back up...people on line thought he was gonna pull a Lizzie grubman and back over innocent bystanders...there were like 25 cars behind him honking there asses off b/c he was blocking traffic...

so we get into Crobar...dancefloor is PACKED - i mean, shoulder-to-shoulder, pushing and shoving packed....but morillo was droppin some sick beats...heard "Geht Noche"...that got the crowd going...honestly my mind is a blur right now so i cant give a good tracklisting...but he played a solid mix of last summer's hits (The Weekend, Flashdance, Gia, etc...) along with some classics...i recognized so many tracks, just dont know the names...i loved it around 4 or 5 when he started playing his dirty, dark shit...dont know why he dropped 50 cent - in the club though...really chopped up his set...

saw erick swigging a bottle of grey goose while grinding on like 20 chicks...good that he keeps his mind so focused for his craft..he he...loved when they "whited out" the dancefloor with smoke...and the C02 jets...

BUT - one complaint of the night (how could i forget????) - was P. diddy making his grand NYC house music debut...which basically consisted of him screaming into a mike on top of a speaker, jumping around the stage, and yelling such nonsense as "yo the left side of the crowd, say FUCK THE RIGHT SIDE!!!"...this went on for about 45 minutes...absolutely awful IMHO.

but overall a great night. my legs feel like jello, my ears are ringing, and i'm about to pass out...wish i couldve lasted till noon but after workin all day friday, it just aint happening....

BUT - one complaint of the night (how could i forget????) - was P. diddy making his grand NYC house music debut...which basically consisted of him screaming into a mike on top of a speaker, jumping around the stage, and yelling such nonsense as "yo the left side of the crowd, say FUCK THE RIGHT SIDE!!!"...this went on for about 45 minutes...absolutely awful IMHO.

That for me was def. the lowlight of the night. P. Diddy just needs to STFU. Some things that work in a hip hop concert don't work in a house club. Also, when Morilllo mixed the 50 Cent track in the middle of DJ Vibe and Peter tha Zouk - Solid Texture, sorry, but that was horrible. I'm sure Erick was playing up to the P Diddy/Ja Rule entourage. Otherwise had a blast. I do like hard beats, but the music was a little too hard and monotonous at times, but overall I enjoyed the set/had a great time sans the horrific leg cramps. He dropped a lot of bass heavy bombs, and old school tracks as well, like Music is the Answer etc. I thought the music got better the later into the morning it got. Not the typical Crobar crowd. The place looked like Sound Factory, which ain't too surprising since that crowd comprises a big part of his fan base. Fun party though, especially after the place cleared out somewhat and there was room to dance. Good seeing everyone again and meeting some new people. Lata.

gosh that was the most crowded Ive ever seen crobar.

morillo is mega popular now, is he going to do sound factory?

what I heard was a good set. it was very big room with a lot of 4/4 beats.

but he has skills for the mix, the drama, the build, the climax.

i used to love his funky house thursdays at centrofly. if youl listen hard you can still hear the roots of that funk in his sets. but hes playing big room harder now- still it moved the crowd. considering what a packed house it was, it was a relatively polite crobar night. the crowd was a lil too 718 gotti boys for me but there was vibe & energy to spare. Id love to hear morillo more often but hes so popular now its going to be shoulder to shoulder every time. diddy was comic relief, I cam in halfway through his orations. he babbled hye made little sense. still it created an energy. hes not talented [well maybe as a sampler & business man] but hes charismatic. morillo is going a little too hard 7 big room crazy for me lately but he was serving beats that 3000 people were eating up hungrily.

cool to see mask, gabe & other arc/crobar house fans.

rating : *** of 5. the set was actually better than that but the masses of people brought the actual sensory experience down a notch or 2.

in a more intimate setting morillo could be among the top 5-10 djs currently.

he has a superman like aura at this point & that was quite a show incl the dancers CO2 smoke etc etc

i thought i was gonna wind up going solo but at the last minute a few people came through in the clutch... i probably shouodnt hav went, being as i was extremely sick but i coudlnt pass up the oppurtunity.. so if anyone saw some kid coughing up a lung, that was me.. walked in a little after 12:30 to "dancin" and "seven nation army" you couldnt start the night off any better than that... morillo was nuts... i was really feeling the track selection between 430 and 530... nice and funky basslines... only downfall was the crowd... way too many guidos... normally im ok with guidos but a little diversity wouldnt hurt... the stage show by p diddy was pretty different... i was a fan... you dont see that kinda interaction at edm events so it was a nice change up... all in all a good night.. no complaints...

kimme, alan, arg it was nice seeing ya guys.. danielle i hope everything worked out with rico suave... i tried to find you before i left but to no avail...

walked in around 4ish and left by 530ish. That is the most packed i have ever seen crobar. And honestly i wonder how many were from nyc. What can i say MORILLO isnt my style anymore or maybe its the big rooms with thousands of people that just isnt for me. No space to dance,move even breathe at times. The crowd was loving every min of it though so im sure it was a great night to the masses. And it was nothing but big room beats for the 90 or so mins i was there. Coudlve used a lil more funk but oh well right, at least didnt have to pay so i cant complain that much. Its great for erick to be as popular as he is right now and as you can see hes enjoying every min of it. But i dont know if i will hear him again at crobar just too insane for me. Will wait till hes settle in his residency on 46th street then check him out here and there. And of course if he plays 2 smalls rooms on the DL in the future.

I wanted to go to this but ended up at the Surgeon party instead.. at like 5 am tho in my drunken stupor, I almost made the pit stop in. but the UNGODLY price of $40 (after I had already spent a shitload) just to enter the damn place held me back... would you guys say it was worth the price?

Coudlve used a lil more funk .

thank u ..

the night started off great....he dropped gadjo-so many times followed by Music is the Answer...and I'm thinking what a great fuckin nite...then the 2 live diva acts came up...and im thinkin aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight phat party!!.....

but then mr p.diddy and entourage show up....and crobar is startin to look like amazura ballroom circa 1998...from then on it alll went downhill. i duno what the fuck erick was thinking...and to who he was catering to...but i thought we were in NYC...and i always thought NYC was a deep/funky/soulful house crowd....not that monotonous bullshit he started playing. i bounced @ 530am....couldnt fuck with it anymore man.....now i know y i stopped going out to clubs after Vinyl closed....

I wanted to go to this but ended up at the Surgeon party instead.. at like 5 am tho in my drunken stupor, I almost made the pit stop in. but the UNGODLY price of $40 (after I had already spent a shitload) just to enter the damn place held me back... would you guys say it was worth the price?

I thought it was worth it. Is showed up late so the crowd wasn't too much of a headache for me. Had a very good time. Erick was serving up some bangers the time I was there and the crowd was really into it. People dancing all over the place, on top of bars, on top of tables. It was a wild morning. Don't expect to hear much funk from Morillo, at least not in New York. In Europe, he tends to have a more classic house style where you'll hear a lot of those funky and soulful house tracks. He plays big room beats in New York and that's been his history in the recent past.

well here's my two cents...

last night was good, got in around 1230 or so, line was fucking ridiculous, good thing we didnt' have to wait. took care of admission and in we went. walked in on dancin', still a sick track, and the night was off. he was droppin some hot shit, loved so many times, dropped the bang bang track. highlight of the night for me was when he dropped geht noch, i went nuuuts.

anyway, it was fucking crowded as hell, but that was to be expected. i always like the crobar crowds because it's packed but not with assholes, as many people as there were in there, everyone was polite, or at least as polite as possible, when trying to navigate around the place.

toward the end of the night it started to get a little blurry cause i was gettin just a bit drunk but i had a good time. i don't think the music was as good as the last time he was there, but still a solid set. better than most you hear these days. as for p diddy's little performance, umm, i don't know, i have mixed feelings. he def got the crowd all riled up, but that's probably because everyone was going omg it's p diddy up there. half the time i couldn't even understand what the fuck he was yelling into the microphone. the times that i could i was thinking, is diddy trying to start a fight in the crowd with the left side say fuck you to the right side or whatever the fuck he was saying.

anyway, all in all, solid night. good bumping into some cp heads, everyone was rockin out.

I could've done without the P.Diddy crap. The 2 songs with him on the album suck. It was such a waste with all the filler waiting for him to come on to do whatever-the-fuck he did on stage...

I had a good time with the few bangers I did hear but I needed more funk...

the night started off great then it alll went downhill. i duno what the fuck erick was thinking...and to who he was catering to...but i thought we were in NYC...and i always thought NYC was a deep/funky/soulful house crowd....not that monotonous bullshit he started playing.

Well look at that crowd thats their to hear him now. His older crowd has been replaced by well YOU KNOW, same thing that has happened to DAVID MORALES,SIGH.

Well look at that crowd thats their to hear him now. His older crowd has been replaced by well YOU KNOW, same thing that has happened to DAVID MORALES,SIGH.

Unfortunately I didn't make it in last night as I was a bit skint, but the consensus appears to be that it was a good night, though maybe not quite as good as Thanksgiving.

However, I just wanted to pull you up on your point Silverbull. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I agree with much of what you say usually, but your quote above is basically just slagging off half of the board and everyone who went last night?

I can see why maybe you prefer old Morillo, but times change and he has changed with them. Get over it! I've seen you complain about his sets in NY before, and yet you still go last night (and Thursday if I remember rightly from the posts), so you can't hate him that much??

Each to their own I say, but if you go to a night and get a type of music and crowd that you expected to not enjoy, then you only have yourself to blame if you don't like it.........

see this is where most people on here misunderstand me a bit. Yes it wasnt my style for the time i was there and i wasnt goin but it was 4am and i was gettign in free didnt have to start work until 9am so i said why not. Im not dissing NOONE on this board im glad everybody who went had a blast and like i said b4 the whole room was full of energy and feeling it which was a great thing. Its great to see erick getting such a huge turnout when he plays here now. While i can see why my QUOTE seems harsh but it is the truth nontheless. Maybe i could have worded it differently.Better or worse i guess its just a matter of opinion.

Cheers Silverbull. Like I said, I agree with much of what you have to say, but sometimes it just seems that you are a little stuck on years gone by. I too was not a huge fan of part of the crowd at Crobar last time I saw Erick, but in these times I guess we just have to put up with it.

We moan when people haven't heard of some great new dj or track, and then we complain when they/it become(s) popular and overplayed - such is life!

Anyway, apologies if I sounded like I was having a go, enjoy Sunday.....

like i said b4 the whole room was full of energy and feeling it which was a great thing.

Exactly my thoughts too. This was one of the few nights where Crobar actually had any sort of vibe, as opposed to people standing around with their beers in hand like you find on most nights. Everyone was dancing and into the party. It's hard not to when Erick is on the decks. He knows how to get a crowd moving like few others. I wasn't a big fan of the crowd, but I will admit, they were UP FOR IT and full of energy, which made for a great party.

Well whatta freakin night that was.. i personally had a very nice time all night long me and my friend marcia got there at 12:00 didnt get in till 12:30 the lines was hugeeeeee but thats what i expected for this event.got in Erick was starting off great with crazyy beats heard a couple of songs i think everyone before had mentioned songs that people recognized.

I danced my ass off where ever i got a lil space to do so.i'm sure i bumped into alot of cp heads along the way i was drinking a lil here and there,i loved seeing peeps that i hadnt seen in a while and also it was funny when p diddy

came on the mic you saw every one say wtf all at the same time almost haha

BUT it was a good addition to an already great night the singers also brought a loungy feeling to the place for the peeps that were just chillin out by the bar The later it got the crazier the beats got wich was awesome cause i hadnt danced in over a month or so.

I try to make it out everytime erick comes to nyc cause the guy can mix very good almost as good as *roger sanchez* =] but good still a night to remember

for me because i wasnt gonna go at first but after hearing some jazz earlier in the night at this spot in the city with my freind marcia then to go to crobar and have a great time was cool. good seeing all the cp heads such as

oldtimer,ovrdose,kimmee,Mask,Drew,Chas,MikeyNumberzz,Wally,MScrew(still represented even tho you left early kid)Rachel and oh yeah the Hot girl who said i looked like erick Morillo haha Props girl, Marcia who came with me

ty babe i enjoyed ya company =]~ all in all i Give this one a 10 out of 10

my opinion. :bowdown::bowdown:

Ps:until next time everyone :pint: